Quote Originally Posted by NoahD View Post
Jeff- sorry to confuse re rabbit vs. hare. Not sure exactly what McD was referring to- believe it was Cottontails. I have always understood Jackrabbit to be leaner than cottontail- made the assumption that they would have similar effects on the birds disposition- possibly exaggerated with hare as contains less fat?
Noah
I haven't experienced other hare species, but jack rabbit is very rich food. Almost as rich as pigeon or duck. Cottontail on the other hand, is very light food. Jack is usually lean in terms of its fat content, but it is dark very nutrient dense flesh.

One other variable I just realized is that there is a lot of variation on nutrient content with the different parts of the animal. Feeding up on the legs of a cottontail, for example, is quite different from the back strap, or the heart/lungs, or the brain. Its important to feed the whole animal over the long term. A bird feed on nothing but legs is not getting a complete diet. That also makes it a challenge to be precise with making an exact weight at an exact time. Its easy to get close with some practice though.