Thread: Heading to the Hungarian Meet

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Heading to the Hungarian Meet

Well, there are those on this site that think I am a bit crazy to do this, especially with the migrant situation that is topping the news but....I am headed to the Hungarian International meet this year. (November 4-7)
    Going to fly to London and then connect to Budapest. Have a 8 hour layover but not to fret, one of my old hawking buddies from England is going to meet up with me and we'll at least have lunch together.
    I'll arrive in Budapest around 9:30pm and will stay in downtown Pest that night. Do a little sight seeing in the morning and then head out into the country via train (From the local train station that the migrants are not using) to be met by my host Daniel who will take me the rest of the way to the meet.
    Now forgive me for not telling you the names of the towns. Too many consonants to even begin to pronounce.
    Just like the Opocno meets in the Czech, Eagles will be flown at Roe deer and that will be my focal point. I was at that one back in 2003.
    I do plan to take lots of pictures, eat a lot of goulash, drink beer and schnapps, oh and hawk some, as well as post this travel.
    I'll be missing some great trapping time, the deer rut, some early hawking, etc., but you need to take another road now and then to spice up life.

Being the Vizsla person that I am, it will be interesting to see what has become of that breed in the land where they are from. I went to Google Earth and looked at the countryside and it looks open and great for hawking.
    Will be interesting at least.
    More to follow.............................

Oh the town where the meet is being held is: Füzesgyarmat
    In the "Art"
    Michael W. Kuriga

That is going to be an amazing trip! I hope to get involved in something like that one day! Fair travels!

Quote Originally Posted by falcipiter View Post
    Well, there are those on this site that think I am a bit crazy to do this, especially with the migrant situation that is topping the news but....I am headed to the Hungarian International meet this year. (November 4-7)
    Going to fly to London and then connect to Budapest. Have a 8 hour layover but not to fret, one of my old hawking buddies from England is going to meet up with me and we'll at least have lunch together.
    I'll arrive in Budapest around 9:30pm and will stay in downtown Pest that night. Do a little sight seeing in the morning and then head out into the country via train (From the local train station that the migrants are not using) to be met by my host Daniel who will take me the rest of the way to the meet.
    Now forgive me for not telling you the names of the towns. Too many consonants to even begin to pronounce.
    Just like the Opocno meets in the Czech, Eagles will be flown at Roe deer and that will be my focal point. I was at that one back in 2003.
    I do plan to take lots of pictures, eat a lot of goulash, drink beer and schnapps, oh and hawk some, as well as post this travel.
    I'll be missing some great trapping time, the deer rut, some early hawking, etc., but you need to take another road now and then to spice up life.

Being the Vizsla person that I am, it will be interesting to see what has become of that breed in the land where they are from. I went to Google Earth and looked at the countryside and it looks open and great for hawking.
    Will be interesting at least.
    More to follow.............................

Oh the town where the meet is being held is: Füzesgyarmat
    You will enjoy yourself and the food is amazing be sure to try their Dobos Torte and Their Pálinka or fruit brandy. I have been there and to Romania a few times (was in Romania just this last summer). Tell us how the game populations are. I did not see a lot of wildlife in Romania when I was there. I was in the plains country bordering Hungary and only saw one pheasant and a hare and little bird life. I found this strange considering the cover and cover slips but I think they are still suffering big time from DDT use.
    Isaac

Their plumb cake is also amazing too much good food :-) One year I am going back in Fall instead of the summer months.
    Isaac

Have a great trip! Sounds like an awesome adventure in the making!
    -Ken
    (Maryland/Pennsylvania)

Isaac and Ken,
    Thanks, Will be enjoying all to be offered. Sights, food, drink and of course the falconry.
    Personally, I have attended many over seas Meets and have been to state meets from Pa to California.
    Do highly encourage new falconers to go to out of state meets and hawk with different people and birds. You can learn a lot in a few days. It really burns me, not only here in the States but in Europe as well, a group of falconers will travel to another state or country or even their own state meet and go out hawking with their own group only. You are missing out on great opportunities to learn and share.
    When I head out in two weeks, I'll take a lot of pictures and post them here and keep this as a little travel journal.
    Cheers
    In the "Art"
    Michael W. Kuriga

Sounds pretty great.

Never been to Hungary, buts its on my list. Spent lots of time in various parts of the former Yugoslavia -- fly fishing, eating, drinking, and enjoying the company of the good folks that are Slavs.

Please take loads of pictures and be sure to share them for the rest of us!

Mike

Thread Information