Thread: CA Fish and game inspections

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default CA Fish and game inspections

Very interesting video, I'd love to see falconry inspections challenged one day. Thanks for putting this together.

https://youtu.be/C_4Q0CBdCXk
    Eric Edwards

Quote Originally Posted by ericedw View Post
    Very interesting video, I'd love to see falconry inspections challenged one day. Thanks for putting this together.

https://youtu.be/C_4Q0CBdCXk
    Yikes. Thanks for the reminder of why I will never EVER live in California. Tough enough to go visit my wife's family down there for short periods.
    Geoff Hirschi - "It is better to have lightning in the fist than thunder in the mouth"
    Custom made Tail Saver Perches - http://www.myrthwood.com/TieEmHigh/

This is Michigan's law on the matter. It sounds the same as California's doesn't it?

"Inspections may be made without advance notice at any reasonable time of day. Inspections must be conducted in the presence of the falconry permit applicant."
    Isaac

Quote Originally Posted by BestBeagler View Post
    This is Michigan's law on the matter. It sounds the same as California's doesn't it?

"Inspections may be made without advance notice at any reasonable time of day. Inspections must be conducted in the presence of the falconry permit applicant."
    "Applicant" might be the key word there.
    John
    Still the finest hoods in Marshall.

Quote Originally Posted by goshawkr View Post
    Yikes. Thanks for the reminder of why I will never EVER live in California. Tough enough to go visit my wife's family down there for short periods.
    Isn't that why the call it the "Left Coast"? With due respect to those who live there, CA may have better falconry conditions than I do here but it would never be on my list of places to move. Though our regs are pretty crappy here, our regulators are not blatantly in favor of using the constitution to wipe their asses either.
    Ron N1WT Vermont

Quote Originally Posted by rkumetz View Post
    Isn't that why the call it the "Left Coast"? With due respect to those who live there, CA may have better falconry conditions than I do here but it would never be on my list of places to move. Though our regs are pretty crappy here, our regulators are not blatantly in favor of using the constitution to wipe their asses either.
    Ron,

It's not just the left coast... Does your state game department have the power to search private property without a warrant or probable cause? As far as I know all state game departments have declared the power to do so in falconry regulations. I am willing to bet that nothing in any state law authorizes such a violation of privacy.

This is not strictly a falconry issue, administrative agencies of all types have overreached thier authority and created regulation that extends beyond the law. This is simply more repugnant in that it involves the rape of one of our core Constitutional rights.
    Troy

Quote Originally Posted by WILL HUNT View Post
    Ron,

It's not just the left coast... Does your state game department have the power to search private property without a warrant or probable cause? As far as I know all state game departments have declared the power to do so in falconry regulations. I am willing to bet that nothing in any state law authorizes such a violation of privacy.

This is not strictly a falconry issue, administrative agencies of all types have overreached thier authority and created regulation that extends beyond the law. This is simply more repugnant in that it involves the rape of one of our core Constitutional rights.

Troy,
    I am infuriated as much as anyone else about governmental overreach when it comes to privacy. I don't fear terrorists nearly as much as politicians and megalomaniacal law enforcement officials with paramilitary capabilities.

Having said that, the court will support the position of CA F&W simply because when you sign up for the permit you are essentially giving permission for that search to occur. Signing up for the permit is somewhat akin to waiving your Miranda rights. I don't agree that you should have to grant that permission and waive your 4th amendment rights but that is another issue altogether.

Unfortunately we live in a society which is increasingly willing to sacrifice their constitutional rights in an attempt to make someone else responsible for protecting them from the boogie man. I don't know how old you are but when I was a kid our television poked fun at the totalitarian Soviet and Nazi regimes with actors having bad accents saying "your papers please". It is unfortunate that we are moving in that direction and it is no longer funny. You and I are horrified by what is taking place while the vast majority of people are more concerned about the fact that they can't watch TV via 4G all the way to work.

Ron
    Ron N1WT Vermont

Troy,
    I am infuriated as much as anyone else about governmental overreach when it comes to privacy. I don't fear terrorists nearly as much as politicians and megalomaniacal law enforcement officials with paramilitary capabilities.

Having said that, the court will support the position of CA F&W simply because when you sign up for the permit you are essentially giving permission for that search to occur. Signing up for the permit is somewhat akin to waiving your Miranda rights. I don't agree that you should have to grant that permission and waive your 4th amendment rights but that is another issue altogether.

Unfortunately we live in a society which is increasingly willing to sacrifice their constitutional rights in an attempt to make someone else responsible for protecting them from the boogie man. I don't know how old you are but when I was a kid our television poked fun at the totalitarian Soviet and Nazi regimes with actors having bad accents saying "your papers please". It is unfortunate that we are moving in that direction and it is no longer funny. You and I are horrified by what is taking place while the vast majority of people are more concerned about the fact that they can't watch TV via 4G all the way to work.

Ron
    Are you familiar with the frog in the cooking pot concept? Many of the changes we're seeing today didn't happen overnight!
    Dan McCarron
    John 3: 16

Wink

Troy,

Ron
    I disagree since the Ca Supreme Court has already looked at this claim of authority by F&G as was stated in the video. Below are the findings of the CA Supreme Court Justice in People v. Maikhio:

"Section 1006 is derived from former section 23 of the original Fish and Game Code as enacted in 1933 (Stats.1933, ch. 73, § 23, p. 396). Former section 23 provided in relevant part: “The commission shall inspect regularly (1) all boats, markets, stores and other buildings, except dwellings, and all receptacles except the clothing actually worn by a person at the time of inspection, where birds, mammals, fish, mollusks, or crustaceans may be stored, placed, or held for sale or storage....” (Italics added.) In providing for the regular inspection of the specified locations, former section 23 was evidently intended to authorize game wardens to conduct repeated inspections of places where fish and game were likely to be kept for sale or storage, and was not primarily directed at more ad hoc, in-the-field stops of noncommercial anglers and hunters by game wardens seeking the display of required licenses or any fish or game that have been caught or taken."

There is no way a judge will find this authority is intended to search the homes and business of every citizen in the state without cause or warrant.
    Troy

The date stamp is 2013 and appears to be as all States had.......open public meetings to the new State regs changing over from the Feds........so is this what is really is a discussion. Or a recent post 2 years old of New proposed Falconry regs that had to be made and adopted by Jan 2014. Also, most assigned permits allow for such inspections. It was also on the Federal regs and simply carried over.
    Joe N.

Florida Panhandel

Yea, I have a grasp of our falconry regs, past and present.

I think the scary point of the video and statements made by the commissioners is that the CA Fish and Game is under the opinion that their right to unwarranted searches extends well beyond falconry, that they somehow are extended more power than Law Enforcement.

It seemed to me that they believe if someone buys all necessary licenses to go deer hunting that they could show up on your doorstep the next day for an inspection.

I understand the video is a few years old, just the first I had seen it. Scary stuff.
    Eric Edwards

I've joined this group: www.thecavalrygroup.com To protect our rights.
    Kitty Carroll -- The Hawk of May

~~ The essence of falconry is not in the flight or the kill,
    but man's relationship with his hawk --- Terance Hanbury White~~

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkmom View Post
    I've joined this group: www.thecavalrygroup.com To protect our rights.
    Wish I knew about this group a few years ago.
    Scott Richter

Quote Originally Posted by forensics View Post
    The date stamp is 2013 and appears to be as all States had.......open public meetings to the new State regs changing over from the Feds........so is this what is really is a discussion. Or a recent post 2 years old of New proposed Falconry regs that had to be made and adopted by Jan 2014. Also, most assigned permits allow for such inspections. It was also on the Federal regs and simply carried over.
    The federal regulations attempted to add inspections to federal falconry regulations, however based upon objections from the Americam Falconry Conservancy UFWS took the question to the Justice Department, the US

Justice Department agreed that these federal inspections by USFWS are not allowed. In an attempt to circumvent this decision they simply added that the states must add this illegal search authority to be conducted by the states... Can anyone make sense of this?
    Troy

dboyrollz76 Guest

A good lawyer could put them in their place. Honestly its just like the rest of the falconry regs. Just one cocky person with deep pockets could undo a lot!
    To quote Frank Bebee, the regulations that govern falconry do nothing to protect raptors but serve to protect the rights and privileges of special intrests groups.
    Until someone with resources dose something about it we are all subject to the bully. No matter where you live.

Thread Information