Thread: CA Fish and game inspections

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by rkumetz View Post
    Troy,
    I am infuriated as much as anyone else about governmental overreach when it comes to privacy. I don't fear terrorists nearly as much as politicians and megalomaniacal law enforcement officials with paramilitary capabilities.

Having said that, the court will support the position of CA F&W simply because when you sign up for the permit you are essentially giving permission for that search to occur. Signing up for the permit is somewhat akin to waiving your Miranda rights. I don't agree that you should have to grant that permission and waive your 4th amendment rights but that is another issue altogether.

Unfortunately we live in a society which is increasingly willing to sacrifice their constitutional rights in an attempt to make someone else responsible for protecting them from the boogie man. I don't know how old you are but when I was a kid our television poked fun at the totalitarian Soviet and Nazi regimes with actors having bad accents saying "your papers please". It is unfortunate that we are moving in that direction and it is no longer funny. You and I are horrified by what is taking place while the vast majority of people are more concerned about the fact that they can't watch TV via 4G all the way to work.

Ron
    Are you familiar with the frog in the cooking pot concept? Many of the changes we're seeing today didn't happen overnight!
    Dan McCarron
    John 3: 16

Quote Originally Posted by wyodjm View Post
    Are you familiar with the frog in the cooking pot concept?
    No but it sounds interesting. Do tell!
    Ron N1WT Vermont

No but it sounds interesting. Do tell!
    Put a frog in a pot of hot water and it will jump out. Put a frog in a pot of water at room temperature and gradually turn up the heat, and it will sit there and cook to death. Apparently not noticing the change until it's too late.
    Dan McCarron

Quote Originally Posted by wyodjm View Post
    Put a frog in a pot of hot water and it will jump out. Put a frog in a pot of water at room temperature and gradually turn up the heat, and it will sit there and cook to death. Apparently not noticing the change until it's too late.

I attribute it to having screwed up priorities. We respond to fire calls all the time where the dwelling is a mutilated single wide leaning on the blocks with the door hanging off and the whole place is a shambles with the kids eating bags of M&M candies for supper but they have a 60" plasma TV and 4 different game consoles. I have to think it is the same thing. People do not value their freedom. In many ways I think that the terrorists won the moment that we started to change the way we go about our lives because some of us are afraid of them.

Some people are not all that bright and that is not their fault. Others are simply apathetic and that is a far more reprehensible quality.

To paraphrase Aldo Leopold, I am glad that I will not be young in a world without freedom.
    Ron N1WT Vermont

I attribute it to having screwed up priorities. We respond to fire calls all the time where the dwelling is a mutilated single wide leaning on the blocks with the door hanging off and the whole place is a shambles with the kids eating bags of M&M candies for supper but they have a 60" plasma TV and 4 different game consoles. I have to think it is the same thing. People do not value their freedom. In many ways I think that the terrorists won the moment that we started to change the way we go about our lives because some of us are afraid of them.

Some people are not all that bright and that is not their fault. Others are simply apathetic and that is a far more reprehensible quality.

To paraphrase Aldo Leopold, I am glad that I will not be young in a world without freedom.
    I'm a big fan of Aldo Leopold. My father used to say "If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there "

I'm really glad I got to personally trap, man, train, and fly all the passage golden eagles I wanted. At a high level, in classic style that I'll never forget. It's a shame future American falconers won't have the same opportunities.

All my best Ron and Merry Christmas.
    Dan McCarron

Thread Information