Thread: Newbie from Southeast Washington

Default Newbie from Southeast Washington

Hey guys! Brand new pre-falconer here from Tri-Cities Washington. Have been wanting to do falconry for quite a while now, but have only been in a position recently to actually pursue it. Just thought I'd put some feelers out there to see if there is anyone from my area that already does falconry, as I currently know nobody personally to show me the ropes. Currently, I am now a new member of the Washington Falconers Association, and am spending as much time as I can learning everything I can about falconry. I'm excited to get to know you guys and get started with this lifestyle.

-----------------
    Matt Ogata
    Washington State
    Last edited by Mattogata; 12-23-2015 at 03:56 AM. Reason: Didn't Sign

So, I'm pretty excited. I reached out to the Washington Falconers Association Director at Large, and he took me out on a hunt last week with his pair of Harris Hawks, and we had a blast. Then this week I found a falconer who lives 15 minutes from my house who agreed to sponsor me, so I got my application sent off today to take my test. No I just have to wait for it to process and I'll be trapping in no time!
    Matt Ogata, Pre-Apprentice,
    Southeast Washington State

Great news Matt! Glad you had a great time and that you have received a warm response. Good luck and it sounds like you will be getting your hands dirty soon.
    Daniel Olson

Congratulations, good luck on your pursuit of falconry.
    Dennis H.
    General Falconer

Thanks guys! I thought I'd be able to be training by May or so, but with the general time of year Red Tails take to hatch and become fledglings, I'll probably have to wait till mid to late summer. It's not all bad, even though I want to get started ASAP, it'll just give me some extra time to get my mews exactly how it needs to be. Looks like I'll just be tagging along with other falconers for the time being until I can get my own bird.

Took my Falconry exam a week ago, and got the letter today saying I passed with a 95%! I'm on cloud nine. No all I have to do is build a mews and I'll be set

I bet Washington State would be a great place to practice Falconry. Interesting terrain indeed.
    Joe N.

Florida Panhandel

Enjoy hawking the Tri Cities. Before Jacks were closed it was the Dirt Hawkers dream. When I lived in Yakima (late as last year), it was worth the drive to chase bunnies, quail and pheasant in the Tri-Cities.

West Richland (before the urban sprawl) used to be known for the jack hawking at Bombing Range Road. We held a number of winter meets there and it was rich with game. Game is still there, just tucked in the midst of all that development.

Best of luck to you. Its a good place to begin your journey. Target Rich
    Phil Smith
    Rolla, MO (By way of Neah Bay, WA; Yakima, WA, Stanwood, WA; Anchorage, AK)

Thread Information