Thread: Greetings from Orlando!

Smile Greetings from Orlando!

Hello! my name is Ivette Campos, I am just getting into studying about Falconry. I don't fly anything yet, but I am on my way to the bookstore to pick up my first book on Falconry & Hawking. I know the whole process takes a long time and I'm just starting out but I'm so excited. I've literally had dreams of flying a beautiful Peregrine Falcon and can't wait to learn more about this awesome sport. I reside in Orlando, FL and would love to get connected with groups in the area. If anyone would like to reach out to me, please feel free!!

Thanks for your time

Quote Originally Posted by miszivy View Post
    Hello! my name is Ivette Campos, I am just getting into studying about Falconry. I don't fly anything yet, but I am on my way to the bookstore to pick up my first book on Falconry & Hawking. I know the whole process takes a long time and I'm just starting out but I'm so excited. I've literally had dreams of flying a beautiful Peregrine Falcon and can't wait to learn more about this awesome sport. I reside in Orlando, FL and would love to get connected with groups in the area. If anyone would like to reach out to me, please feel free!!

Thanks for your time
    Greetings Ivette,

It looks like everyone in Florida is interested in falconry. I've seen a number of new members to NAFEX.net are "Pre-apprentices" from the state of Florida.

The first thing you want to do is to check out the following two websites:

http://floridafalconry.com
    http://f-h-f.org

These are two of your state clubs. Get in contact with the regional director in your area and strike up a conversation. The sooner you can find someone local to you, the sooner you can get started on the path to being an educated and proud falconer. Go ahead and purchase your states version of a small game hunting license and ask to go on some hunts to see what is involved in the sport. Your state may not require you to have a hunting license when attending a hunt, but it always goes better with the game warden should you encounter one, plus it will make your future potential sponsor much happier.

Ask to become what I and a few others call a "pre-apprentice" if you are not quite ready to take the tests, build facilities, etc. It is amazing what you can learn just by helping out once a week, or even once a month by going over and helping to clean mews, make jesses, feed and handle a few birds, and just talk. I was a pre-apprentice for 7 to 8 months and it make taking the test, getting the facilities built and working with my first bird all that much easier once I was finally licensed.
    Daniel Olson

Quote Originally Posted by vampdragon View Post
    Greetings Ivette,

It looks like everyone in Florida is interested in falconry. I've seen a number of new members to NAFEX.net are "Pre-apprentices" from the state of Florida.

The first thing you want to do is to check out the following two websites:

http://floridafalconry.com
    http://f-h-f.org

These are two of your state clubs. Get in contact with the regional director in your area and strike up a conversation. The sooner you can find someone local to you, the sooner you can get started on the path to being an educated and proud falconer. Go ahead and purchase your states version of a small game hunting license and ask to go on some hunts to see what is involved in the sport. Your state may not require you to have a hunting license when attending a hunt, but it always goes better with the game warden should you encounter one, plus it will make your future potential sponsor much happier.

Ask to become what I and a few others call a "pre-apprentice" if you are not quite ready to take the tests, build facilities, etc. It is amazing what you can learn just by helping out once a week, or even once a month by going over and helping to clean mews, make jesses, feed and handle a few birds, and just talk. I was a pre-apprentice for 7 to 8 months and it make taking the test, getting the facilities built and working with my first bird all that much easier once I was finally licensed.
    Wow that is a great start right there! Thank you so much! I located an Avian rehabilitation facility near to where I live and I plan on visiting and volunteering there if I am able to. I'm sure I will learn tons from them. Thank you for your wonderful advice, I was hesitant about getting any licenses yet but that is a great idea and you're probably right, it's good to stay on the safe side.

Welcome to the journey.
    KT Topash. Wesley Chapel, FL
    never walk in another man shoes. Make your own path in life!

Default Orlando here too!

I'm a falconer in south Orlando and always here to answer questions or talk about the sport. Good luck!!
    Kevin

Hi Ivette,I think volunteering at a rehab center is a great Idea.Orlandos a great area to meet falconers.Good luck
    Robert Miller

Orlando, FL

Thread Information