another thing I would suggest is get out with other falconers. See how their birds hunt. See other birds fly, in action besides the ones at the facility you work at. I've met several people who wanted to get into falconry after or currently working at a centre that doesn't do any actual falconry. But they never stick with it or they don't stick around long because they don't want to offend or piss off the owners of the facility. when you have the chance go out and actually see how falconers handle and fly their birds.

I've done bird demos for many years and have met some birds that had strange behaviours. One falcon wouldn't eat pheasant. tough. didn't want to eat pheasant that day, then don't eat. Next day does her lure flights, still just took a few bites then just flicked the food away (bird was not sick). Third day at a lower weight, pheasant was the best thing ever. I worked with another hh that didn't like sunglasses. tough, I wore sunglasses everyday. The bird would do fly bys but wouldn't land on glove till like 10 minutes of flying around. Bird doesn't want to come to me, I walk away. A few days later and an oz or 2 lower, bird could care less if I had a monkey on my head, my glove was the best place to be cause her hunger overrid her "quirk". I never put these birds in harms way with their weight, but I wasn't going to play the birds game for simple flight demos. And don't get me wrong I still deal with fat birds from time to time. And when they act up I know that extra piece of quail is the reason why.

Bob
BC, Canada