Thread: Hello from sunny Southern California

Default Hello from sunny Southern California

Hey all, My name's Greg. Found this board searching for falconry info years ago. Recently my interest has been rekindled by a friend who is a long time falconer living in Japan. So lately I've just been absorbing all the info I can find on all the aspects of the sport (passion/lifestyle/addiction). Had the opportunity to go beat some bushes with a local falconer and his RT. Lots of fun and an enlightening experience.

Unfortunately I can't really take the next step and start working toward getting into falconry further (apartment living is not very conducive to keeping a bird of prey) so I am contenting myself with being a sponge and just soaking up the info, sort of passively studying for the test, and trying to make connections in the community, until I'm in a position where I can think about building a mews and getting a sponsor and a bird.

So hi all! and hoping to make some new friends and learn all about this amazing lifestyle.
    Greg
    -Greg Templeton
    Carlsbad, CA

Welcome! Sounds like you're on the right path! Good luck!
    Nick Yashko

Food for thought

(C) You may keep a falconry raptor or raptors inside your place of residence if you provide a suitable perch or
    perches. If you house your raptor(s) inside your home, you do not need to modify windows or other openings of the
    structure. Raptors kept in your home must be tethered when they are not being moved into or out of the location in
    which they are kept.
    Chi M.

Get a kestrel. Perfect for suburban living and keeping in an apartment, provided "pets" are allowed. Only has to be a roadblock if you let it be!
    Aaron -- Utah

50 CFR 21.29...blah blah blah. I can't properly cite these things, their hierarchy in the regs makes my eyes bleed. Anyway, this is in there somewhere.
    (2) Falconry facilities on property you do not own —(i) Your falconry facilities may be on property owned by another person where you reside, or at a different location. Regardless of location, the facilities must meet the standards in paragraph (d)(1) of this section and those of the State, tribe, or territory from which you have a falconry permit.
    (ii) You must submit to your State, tribal, or territorial agency that regulates falconry a signed and dated statement showing that you agree that the falconry facilities and raptors may be inspected without advance notice by State, tribal (if applicable), or territorial authorities at any reasonable time of day, but you must be present. If your facilities are not on property that you own, you must submit a signed and dated statement showing that the property owner agrees that the falconry facilities and raptors may be inspected by State, tribal (if applicable), or territorial authorities at any reasonable time of day in the presence of the property owner; except that the authorities may not enter the facilities or disturb the raptors unless you are present.I could be wrong on this, not sure about your specific state regs, but you can have your facilities at another property as long as you have written permission from the property owner/leaser.

If that doesn't work, As Aaron said, Kestrels are easy to house inside, mine lives in my living room on a perch. And he is the 6th one I have housed this way. In fact, just about everyone I know agree that you SHOULD keep your kestrel inside. Way safer and better for a myriad of reasons.

Whichever you decide, good luck, welcome to the community!
    - Robert

Thread Information