Thread: Escaped Peregrine

Default Escaped Peregrine

My 3 yr. old Peales/Anatum escaped from her mews, 4/11/16, from Galveston/Houston TX area. She is wearing Black/orange braided jesses w/a 6" leather jess extender. 409-739-5651

Was she an imprint? You can try calling the local wildlife rehabs and animal to keep their eye out for her. Hope you recover her speedily.

You can also try posting on here: https://www.facebook.com/FalconFinders-228381740525536/
    Chi M.

Were the extenders each hanging loose or connected together somehow?
    Keith Thompson
    Treat everyone you meet with dignity and respect....but have a plan to kill them just in case

What telemetry frequency?
    Deb Davis
    Give every day the chance to become the most beautiful of your life. - Mark Twain

Hey OP,

Have you notified the Texas Hawking Association?
    Boomer
    Quote Originally Posted by keitht View Post
    It doesn't bother me traveling in wilderness alone. It bothers others. I think it would be a great way to die.

Is the bird kite trained? If she's in the vicinity, she might come into the kite if she sees it.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Is the bird kite trained? If she's in the vicinity, she might come into the kite if she sees it.
    Good advice. Also on subject. Thanks you.
    John
    Still the finest hoods in Marshall.

Post information about your lost bird on the THA Members only Facebook page. That will help get the word out.

Good Luck,

Scott
    “Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative.” – Mordecai Wyatt Johnson

Default Escaped Peregrine

Quote Originally Posted by keitht View Post
    Were the extenders each hanging loose or connected together somehow?
    The extender is connected to both jesses, thus forming the deadly "Y".

[quote=frigginchi;371078]Was she an imprint? You can try calling the local wildlife rehabs and animal to keep their eye out for her. Hope you recover her speedily.

No, not an imprint, 65 days parent raised. I have contacted several falconers in the vicinty. Yes, I've contacted TPW. USFWS, local rehabbers and bird watchers, 4 peregrines seen on Galveston Isl. by bird watchers over the last several days, but nothing remarkable about them (equipment) and several by myself, both immatures (passage)and adults(hags), around the county.This afternoon, watched one stoop several birds before finally striking one, then comming back around to grab as it fell.

I have posted on Falconfinders, THA and of course Nafex.

[quote=Retired;371156]The extender is connected to both jesses, thus forming the deadly "Y".

Quote Originally Posted by frigginchi View Post
    Was she an imprint? You can try calling the local wildlife rehabs and animal to keep their eye out for her. Hope you recover her speedily.

No, not an imprint, 65 days parent raised. I have contacted several falconers in the vicinty. Yes, I've contacted TPW. USFWS, local rehabbers and bird watchers, 4 peregrines seen on Galveston Isl. by bird watchers over the last several days, but nothing remarkable about them (equipment) and several by myself, both immatures (passage)and adults(hags), around the county.This afternoon, watched one stoop several birds before finally striking one, then comming back around to grab as it fell.

I have posted on Falconfinders, THA and of course Nafex.

The "deadly Y" is a good description of the jess extender. I used one on my tiercel peregrine/prairie and it broke, leaving the swivel connected to the two jesses. The bird broke loose while I was at work (this was inside the house perch). So when I got home the falcon was sitting on the block perch, and probably flew around the house for a while.
    I assumed the bird was connected and opened the sliding glass door completely, and I got lucky to see the problem, then closed up everything. Conclusion, no more jess extenders again.

As far as getting the bird back before death occurs, I suggest placing on your roof a pigeon on a line and a bell on the pigeon leg to sound the allert when arrival. I consider this the only hope. The bird is probably in the neighborhood anyway. I once had a coopers hawk broke loose without jesses and stayed in the neighborhood for 7 days, then the neighbor kids spotted her for me and she came down to a frozen sparrow, that's all I had in the emergency to get her back. So use a pigeon on the roof because I feel she is close by.

roger
    roger

There are good suggestions out there. See if you can get a Swedish Goshawk Trap set up in your yard. At least there is something you can have out there to get her if she is there and you are not.

I too, have been leery of jess extenders. And have never used one. I find a good stiff pair of jesses and leash that is also stiff prevents the flipping of the swivel. I use paracord for jesses, dipped in nail polish the entire length works well to stiffen them and prevent chewing by a falcon (painting it with NOBITE nail polish helps too.
    Kitty Carroll -- The Hawk of May

~~ The essence of falconry is not in the flight or the kill,
    but man's relationship with his hawk --- Terance Hanbury White~~

There is nothing wrong with using a Jess extender, just like all falconry gear it should be check frequently. If any equipment fails, it generally is the fault of the falconer for not keeping a good eye on their equipment!

Good luck finding your bird Xxxxxxxx. Don't know your name so you get all the x's! LOL
    Fred
    "Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by FredFogg View Post
    There is nothing wrong with using a Jess extender, just like all falconry gear it should be check frequently. If any equipment fails, it generally is the fault of the falconer for not keeping a good eye on their equipment!
    Yes, I agree. I've been using jess extenders on eagles and goshawks for a long time. I've never had an issue using them. I've become quite satisfied and comfortable using an integrated system. I use shorter leather jesses with a smaller slit with a braided jess extender. A bit of tradition mixed with modern materials. They are an inegral part of my hardware set-up.
    Dan McCarron
    John 3: 16

Quote Originally Posted by wyodjm View Post
    I've never had an issue using them. I've become quite satisfied and comfortable using an integrated system. I use shorter leather jesses with a smaller slit with a braided jess extender. A bit of tradition mixed with modern materials. They are an inegral part of my hardware set-up.
    X2, but all in x-heavy roo leather (1.2mm) for me. Check it religiously, keep it all oiled up with mink oil once a month, and so far no problems.
    Paul Rifle, Colorado
    A lot of birds I've flown have been smarter than a lot of people I have met.

Quote Originally Posted by FredFogg View Post

Good luck finding your bird Xxxxxxxx. Don't know your name so you get all the x's! LOL
    Like.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by gyrhybrid View Post
    The "deadly Y" is a good description of the jess extender. I used one on my tiercel peregrine/prairie and it broke, leaving the swivel connected to the two jesses. The bird broke loose while I was at work (this was inside the house perch). So when I got home the falcon was sitting on the block perch, and probably flew around the house for a while.
    I assumed the bird was connected and opened the sliding glass door completely, and I got lucky to see the problem, then closed up everything. Conclusion, no more jess extenders again.

As far as getting the bird back before death occurs, I suggest placing on your roof a pigeon on a line and a bell on the pigeon leg to sound the allert when arrival. I consider this the only hope. The bird is probably in the neighborhood anyway. I once had a coopers hawk broke loose without jesses and stayed in the neighborhood for 7 days, then the neighbor kids spotted her for me and she came down to a frozen sparrow, that's all I had in the emergency to get her back. So use a pigeon on the roof because I feel she is close by.

roger
    I have wonder about your setup. If a properly used jess extender broke, it would leave the jesses free, not attached to a swivel.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by gos'n View Post
    I have wonder about your setup. If a properly used jess extender broke, it would leave the jesses free, not attached to a swivel.
    I have to ask for an explanation on this. If I'm not mistaken, both jesses go to the jess extender, and are fastened directly to one end of the extender. The swivel is fastened to the other end of the extender, then the leash directly to the other side of the swivel. This means the deadly Y would still be in play if the extender broke at the swivel end.

Did I miss something? I've done it this way for 20 years, and never had one break, but if I'm doing something wrong, and the deadly Y can be avoided if there is an equipment failure, I'd like to know about it.

I guess this is part of the reason I use the thickest roo leather I can get my hands on for my mews jesses and extenders. Never had a failure yet, so I think I'll keep doing what I'm doing. But if there is a way to prevent the Y from happening in case of a failure, I'd certainly like to know about it. Only failure I can see that wouldn't lead to the Y being present, is a failure of the slot on the extender on the end with the jesses. It would then release both jesses to be independent of each other. Failure of the slot at the swivel end of the extender still means the jesses are locked together with the extender in tow.

Perhaps I'm missing something, or misunderstood something??
    Paul Rifle, Colorado

DSCN1966 (3).jpg

A weak or faulty extender can fail in two places. If it fails where the extender attaches to the swivel, the deadly "Y" will occur. If it fails at the opposite end, the "Y" will not occur, but the slits in the jesses present another problem of getting caught on some object unless the raptor is able to pull the jesses out of the grommets.
    While no jess/leash system is perfect, I do feel that by using an extender the risks of the hawk/falcon getting tangled up as a result of the swivel flipping back through the jesses is greatly reduced.

Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Craig View Post
    DSCN1966 (3).jpg

A weak or faulty extender can fail in two places. If it fails where the extender attaches to the swivel, the deadly "Y" will occur. If it fails at the opposite end, the "Y" will not occur, but the slits in the jesses present another problem of getting caught on some object unless the raptor is able to pull the jesses out of the grommets.
    Mike,
    Why not beef up the extender on the swivel side, thus, decreasing the risk of failure on the critical side?
    John

John,
    The strength of the material and number of strands used in the braiding is determined by the type and size of the hawk/eagle/falcon/owl which is being tethered, which is what I think you are asking. In the case of eagles I braid 10 strands which are 250 lb test each.
    Mike

Thanks for the photo Mike. That's how I've always done my extenders also. I've seen guys put the swivel directly to the jesses, then the extender, then the leash. Totally defeats the purpose.

John, beefing up the size of the extender at the swivel side is exactly why I use the heaviest roo leather I can get my hands on to make my extenders. Tends to be stiffer as well, and keeps the "flipping" from occurring so easily.

I would think the braided extender / jesses would be even stronger yet, so I may give those a go before long. I've always preferred the traditional look of leather, but for the safety of the bird, the braided stuff may be the way to go. Nicely done Mike!
    Paul Rifle, Colorado

Mike does great work, I have purchased several sets of jesses/extenders/leashes from him.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Craig View Post
    DSCN1966 (3).jpg

While no jess/leash system is perfect, I do feel that by using an extender the risks of the hawk/falcon getting tangled up as a result of the swivel flipping back through the jesses is greatly reduced.

Mike
    I don't post much these days. But I felt this was worth commenting on. I personally use jess extenders on every single bird no exceptions. I can't see any reason not to use an extender on any tethered bird. It greatly decreases the chances of tangling. Also I only use braided gear period. Short of giving your bird a hacksaw they will not break a good braided setup. The only thing I use leather for is anklets. Leather jesses will wrap legs much easier than a stiff braided jess. Plus they breakdown. Braided gear it way stronger, and fare less likely to fail (if ever). I think I have probably made a mortgage payment for Mike with all the gear I have purchased from him, lol. But it is the best tethering equipment on the market!
    Get a braided complete fox loop leash setup (jesses/extender/leash) from Mike and it will probably last the rest of your life time. You will never again work about failures or tying another falconers knot.
    Just for perspective I keep 20 falcons and 2 eagles all on Mikes braided setups and have never had an equipment failure.

Chase
    Chase

Quote Originally Posted by 460shooter View Post
    Thanks for the photo Mike. That's how I've always done my extenders also. I've seen guys put the swivel directly to the jesses, then the extender, then the leash. Totally defeats the purpose.

John, beefing up the size of the extender at the swivel side is exactly why I use the heaviest roo leather I can get my hands on to make my extenders. Tends to be stiffer as well, and keeps the "flipping" from occurring so easily.

I would think the braided extender / jesses would be even stronger yet, so I may give those a go before long. I've always preferred the traditional look of leather, but for the safety of the bird, the braided stuff may be the way to go. Nicely done Mike!
    Thanks Paul,
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by jdrmd View Post
    Mike does great work, I have purchased several sets of jesses/extenders/leashes from him.
    Thanks John
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by chase0109 View Post
    I don't post much these days. But I felt this was worth commenting on. I personally use jess extenders on every single bird no exceptions. I can't see any reason not to use an extender on any tethered bird. It greatly decreases the chances of tangling. Also I only use braided gear period. Short of giving your bird a hacksaw they will not break a good braided setup. The only thing I use leather for is anklets. Leather jesses will wrap legs much easier than a stiff braided jess. Plus they breakdown. Braided gear it way stronger, and fare less likely to fail (if ever). I think I have probably made a mortgage payment for Mike with all the gear I have purchased from him, lol. But it is the best tethering equipment on the market!
    Get a braided complete fox loop leash setup (jesses/extender/leash) from Mike and it will probably last the rest of your life time. You will never again work about failures or tying another falconers knot.
    Just for perspective I keep 20 falcons and 2 eagles all on Mikes braided setups and have never had an equipment failure.

Chase
    Thanks for your kind comments on the equipment Chase. I also don't post as much these days, but felt that a discussion on extenders would be good to have on the forum. Also, thanks for helping me with my mortgage payment!

Mike

Turned into a talk about extenders. But any news on the bird?
    John Everest
    Four Corners Falconer

Thread Information