Thread: Duel impint Aplomados

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Duel impint Aplomados

The new kids.

The standard seems to dual/creche/cohort rear them, then train them.

They can be flown together or separately.

Later in life they should breed naturally but you have to incubate and raise the offspring.

Fred Seaman
    “Ask, Listen, Learn, Grow”

aww cute lil things!
    Cameron
    18 tarantulas

ah, the grey down is really neat looking.
    Thanks,
    Wes

I have read that aplomados are social like harris hawks.
    Is this correct? And if so, do they actually hunt in co-operation like HHs?
    I have only even seen one in person, and he was a gorgeous youngster.
    Please post as many pics as you can, I am quite fond of them.
    Meridith
    "I've spent the better part of the past year as a multi-dimensional wavelength of celestial intent."

Quote Originally Posted by Zarafia View Post
    I have read that aplomados are social like harris hawks.
    Is this correct? And if so, do they actually hunt in co-operation like HHs?
    I have only even seen one in person, and he was a gorgeous youngster.
    Please post as many pics as you can, I am quite fond of them.
    They are supposed to group hunt, in the wild and when creche reared. Time will tell.
    Fred Seaman

The male is on the right, named Gene (Kelly), the female is Judy (Garland).
    Fred Seaman

Quote Originally Posted by jfseaman View Post
    They are supposed to group hunt, in the wild and when creche reared. Time will tell.

Awesome. I shall watch this thread and those that may follow with great interest.
    Meridith
    "I've spent the better part of the past year as a multi-dimensional wavelength of celestial intent."

Yes, and I have seen it done. What a priveledge... I'll never forget it. They are AWESOME! What I saw happen a handful of times... was the female would stay right behind the sparrow - gaining on it a little when it flew straight away and sticking with it on every twist and turn... until it made a mistake and many times the male was flying close enough to intercept. He would go cache it while the female kept hunting with the group and he would re-join when he was done. Same thing for when the female made a catch. It was so much fun to watch... and very effective.

I took some low-quality video of it but haven't spent the time to rip it from dvd to my computer for sharing. I also think there was an article in American Falconry about this already.

I too want to fly an Aplomado some day... but I plan to spend at least a few seasons flying a passage merlin first. I haven't had the chance to fly a merlin yet but I can imagine that being a ton of fun as well with a much lower price tag and the added benefit of being able to release at the end of the season.
    -Ken
    (Maryland/Pennsylvania)

Quote Originally Posted by wesleyc6 View Post
    ah, the grey down is really neat looking.
    And floating all over the house.
    Fred Seaman

The new kids.

The standard seems to dual/creche/cohort rear them, then train them.

They can be flown together or separately.

Later in life they should breed naturally but you have to incubate and raise the offspring.
    Cute as Hell. I wonder why the standard is what you wrote above. I know that was done with peregrines with the interest of numbers in mind. Most were released but many that found their way into breeding projects had to be manipulated such as AI'd. Some of those birds were a real mess. I know I had some of them!

Cute little guys. Gene & Judy? Show tunes? Who wuda thought. Can't wait to read more. tony
    tony

I found this article a week or so ago. A breeder called me asking if I knew anything about these birds. Of course I know nothing about them so trying to relay information concerning peregrines and attempting to use it on aplomado falcons would be annectodal at best.

In the beginning, with most peregrines, almost everyone didn't let their birds hatch the young. Copulating pairs weren't the norm like they are today. Thousands of peregrines were produced and released. All you needed were egg laying falcons, a semen donor or two and chickens if you didn't trust your falcons to incubate. That was basically the norm and it worked great. Today most breeders who even bother to breed peregrines have copulating pairs, many haven't turned on an incubator for years.

http://www.peregrinefund.org/pdfs/Re...0al%202004.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchellbrad View Post
    I found this article a week or so ago. A breeder called me asking if I knew anything about these birds. Of course I know nothing about them so trying to relay information concerning peregrines and attempting to use it on aplomado falcons would be annectodal at best.

In the beginning, with most peregrines, almost everyone didn't let their birds hatch the young. Copulating pairs weren't the norm like they are today. Thousands of peregrines were produced and released. All you needed were egg laying falcons, a semen donor or two and chickens if you didn't trust your falcons to incubate. That was basically the norm and it worked great. Today most breeders who even bother to breed peregrines have copulating pairs, many haven't turned on an incubator for years.

http://www.peregrinefund.org/pdfs/Re...0al%202004.pdf
    Yup, that's the program. Modified for falconry with more intimate contact.

Won't know if they are over imprinted for a couple years. Even if they are and reproduction requires AI it'll all work out.
    Fred Seaman

Thread Information