Quote Originally Posted by rkumetz View Post
Boomer,
You do NOT absolutely need the UHF system to use the GPS system.

The GPS transmitter sends out two signals. One is the data for the Pocketlink receiver which uses bluetooth to talk to your phone/tablet and the other is a conventional "beep" signal which can be received by a UHF receiver.

Yes, a complete system consists of the UHF system and a UHF receiver however you will get the location of your bird up to the specified range of the transmitter/pocketlink combination without one. Once you get past the range of the data you will need the UHF receiver and you will get close enough to your bird to resume GPS tracking by using the conventional telemetry.

If you want to put GPS on a hawk and go out hunting squirrels it is pretty likely that you can make due only purchasing the $995 GPS system. If you have a hawking buddy close by with a UHF receiver I would suggest buying him/her a sixpack and asking if you can use it if you get in a situation where your bird gets out of data range.

Also keep in mind that the data range can be extended with a car mount
gain antenna or by using a yagi antenna so you can ease into this without breaking the bank.

That's great information, Ron! I figured you'd show up and right the ship. Any idea what the GPS/Pocketlink range is?

I don't think I'll roll the dice out here with a long wing in eagle country; but, good to know you don't NEED both! I assumed the data was on the UHF signal. Interesting to know it's sending 2 separate signals and still has that long of a battery life.