Thread: New Here, from Michigan

Default New Here, from Michigan

Hi! I'm Karlee, currently doing research to see if I want to get into falconry once I have the resources! I'm currently based in the Thumb of Michigan, and have always had an interest in the sport. I don't have a timeline for when I'll actually be ready to start looking for a sponsor and start the steps to apprenticeships, but in the meantime I'm gathering as much information as possible and love hearing everybody's experiences with falconry!
    Karlee H.

Welcome, I'd recommend connecting with the Michigan Hawking Club for an event. Definitely try and find someone to go out hunting with this fall and see how you like it.
    Keith Sprague
    Enthusiast of Avian and Nonavian reptiles

Hi, I grew up in Sandusky MI, as far as I know there is only one active falconer living in the thumb area. I can put you in touch with him. There might be a couple near Port Huron. Anyway, I bring my birds when I visit my parents if you wanna check out a hunt this Fall/Winter.
    Roy Elsholz

I may know who you're talking about...is he from the Elkton area? Anyways, I'd love to check out a hunt! I've been looking at the Michigan Hawking Club website, and am planning to go to Hawkfest this year. Thanks!
    Karlee H.

That's about where he lives, I will let you know when we are headed over that way. Most likely November sometime.
    Roy Elsholz

Thanks so much! I can't wait for the season to start!
    Karlee H.

Contact the Michigan DNR they should supply you when a Falconry packet it used to list all the Michigan falconers and their phone numbers
    HAROLD JAMES II

The MI DNR does not send out the list of MI falconers anymore due to privacy laws. You can brose the information on the MHC website, beginner info is available to public and there are contact numbers. I will be at Hawkfest, I think on the Sunday, possibly Sat. If you are there, feel free to look me up. Also check the event calendar for the field meet. Its a great way to see hunting, and meet a bunch of falconers. It is open to the public, and is usually the first sat in Feb. I think.
    Sue

Thread Information