Thread: Hello from Mom, Dad, & Teen in VA

Default Hello from Mom, Dad, & Teen in VA

Hi Falconry Enthusiasts!

We are happy to be here! My name is Elizabeth and I have been interested in Falconry since I was a kid and saw a demonstration at a local nature center. At the time I couldn't figure out how to get involved, so I put it on the back burner and now only 20 years later I am starting to get involved. My husband, Jon, is also interested in learning falconry so it has been really fun to start to talk about this together.

...It's an interest that must be hereditary as my 13 year old daughter is wild about the idea. So far we've been to a couple of VA Falconeers meets & get-togethers, taken an amazing trip up to Eagle Ridge in PA and seen some red tail trapping, read a ton of books, and met a lot of great people. We are hoping to find a sponsor somewhere local to the piedmont/ northern VA area.

I engage in a lot of historic research for my job and I am really interested in the history of falconry as well as the modern sport. We also have fun hobby farming and pursuing home education.

I look forward to chatting with you all.

Picture of my daughter, Lydia, at Eagle Ridge. Thank you to the gentlemen there who recommended this forum - I am terrible with names but I hope to reconnect with you here!
    Elizabeth Hauris

Elizabeth:

It's great to hear about and see parents who are interested in falconry and are supportive of their children's interest in falconry. In your pursuit of finding a sponsor, you should consider joining your states Falconry Club as well as The North American Falconers Association (NAFA).

If you dig deep enough into the falconry community, you will find that there are a number of other falconry families around the country.

At the NAFA meet in Elk City, Oklahoma this past November there was a family (mom, dad and 3 teenage daughters - 2 of the daughters who are falconers) from Indiana. This was there second year in a row attending the national meet. Their interest in falconry started with one of the daughters, then the second daughter got her permit, and at the meet the dad told me that he expects to get his permit and hopes to be flying his own red tail at next years meet.

In addition to this family, there was also a falconry dad and 18 year old apprentice daughter who attended the meet. The dad flew his cast of Aplomado falcons at the meet and the daughter flew her kestrel.

Best of luck of luck in your pursuit of finding a sponsor.

Pictured was Richie (Mr. Pizza) Guadagno from New Castle, Pa.
    Right after you all left the ridge, we caught a few nice Red tails.
    Good luck with your endeavors.
    In the "Art"
    Michael W. Kuriga

Falconry is a beautiful thing and it will be so much easier to enjoy having the whole family on board. My wife hates every minute that I spend with my hawk. I do my best to balance family and falconry but it is a losing battle. She will always want more and my hawk will always deserve more time than I can spare. So congratulations I could only imagine being able to enjoy both of my passions at the same time. I hope you and you're family enjoy every minute of this experience together. I hope you find a great sponsor.
    Charles Nelson
    "There are only nine meals between mankind and anarchyā€¯ Alfred Henry Lewis

to the forum and enjoy your journey into falconry! It's TOO MUCH fun, if there is such a thing!
    Deb Davis
    Give every day the chance to become the most beautiful of your life. - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by falcipiter View Post
    Pictured was Richie (Mr. Pizza) Guadagno from New Castle, Pa.
    Right after you all left the ridge, we caught a few nice Red tails.
    Good luck with your endeavors.
    Good to see you here Michael! Thanks for recommending the forum. Glad the rest of the day went well.
    Elizabeth Hauris

Hello and Welcome to NAFEX!

Thank you for taking the time to say hello. There is a pile of information contained within this forum. Please have a look around and don't hesitate to post any questions you may have.

Happy hawking

Chris.
    Chris Lynn
    -Owner and Admin of NAFEX.net.

Fantastic being a Falconry family. So rare and unique. My wife tried to get into it but it was just because I had done falconry. Keep us informed I would love to hear if it works out for all.
    John Everest
    Four Corners Falconer

Thread Information