Thread: Picture Uploads.

Default Picture Uploads.

As the site is now we have to use Photo bucket to post pictures. Why can't we just upload our photos right from our computer like on the IFF? This is why I don't post photos. I have dial up most of the time. Isaac
    Isaac

Quote Originally Posted by BestBeagler View Post
    As the site is now we have to use Photo bucket to post pictures. Why can't we just upload our photos right from our computer like on the IFF? This is why I don't post photos. I have dial up most of the time. Isaac

I'm guessing, but probably because it would cost Chris a boatload of money for all of that hard disk space for photos. What's the big deal really? Upload to photobucket or upload to the forum? Same upload time, photobucket is free.....
    Paul Domski
    New Mexico, USA

Quote Originally Posted by BestBeagler View Post

Let me tell you an easier way to do it. Open a free geocities webpage. Upload your pics onto that site. You don't have to even show them on your page or do anything. Type in the link and VOILA. I don't use photobucket.

Paul is correct, it would cost a lot of bandwith (I think that is the right term) for that feature to work here. There are a TON of photos on this site too.
    Thanks,
    Wes

I see. That explains it. The deal is that I have dial up at home and the max Kbps I get is 26. Hey if the other way costs money and photo bucket is free that is the way to go. Isaac
    Isaac

Quote Originally Posted by wesleyc6 View Post
    Let me tell you an easier way to do it. Open a free geocities webpage. Upload your pics onto that site. You don't have to even show them on your page or do anything. Type in the link and VOILA. I don't use photobucket.

Paul is correct, it would cost a lot of bandwith (I think that is the right term) for that feature to work here. There are a TON of photos on this site too.
    Thanks for the suggestion.
    Isaac

Default "Free" web services?

I always like to ask myself the question: How are these people running a "free" web service making money on me? Would I rather kick in some money to have this a paid service on the website I really want to go to?

From a computer instructor friend of mine "Never post anything on Facebook that you don't want attached to the bottom of your next job application".
    Tom Munson, Buckeye, AZ
    619-379-2656, tom@munson.us

dboyrollz76 Guest

Ah, it's not that bad guys. Took me forever to figure out photbucket but when I did and got used to it, not to bad. I'm not to computer savy!
    Also if there were more people as supporting members, that might make a diffrence, wich reminds me I need to make another donation to nafex.
    There are a lot of members here, support nafex.
    Happy faces all around.

Default Photobucket learning curve

Now, for those of us who desire a step by step tutorial on using Photbucket with close to zero time "figuring it out".
    Tom Munson, Buckeye, AZ

Actually, you can upload directly now if you are a contributing member. There should be a paper clip to the right of the smiley face in the icons above the window you type your post in. Click on it and then click on Browse and put in the photo you want, you have to do it for each photo and then click on Upload. When it is done uploading, close that window and submit your post and the photo's will be there.

As far as a Photobucket turtorial, let me work on something and I will post it later.
    Fred
    "Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Pretty easy to upload using photo bucket. Once you upload your photo(s) to the site, you can then go to your library at Photobucket and look through your photos. Click on the one you want to show on Nafex. It should open it in a separate/different window (see below) as a single photo. On my Mac, to the right are four ways you can 'share' this photo. To the right of each of the four links: Email & IM, Direct, HTML, IMG, you want to click on the box to the right of IMG. Once you move your cursor to that box and click it, it should say 'copied' very briefly. If not, then highlight it and physically copy under your EDIT tab on your browser. But I figure it will just say 'copied' and that will be all you need. Then, go back to NAFEX and open your message (I often have my message already written and waiting for me to finish in another tab or window while I'm on photo bucket), and 'paste' your copied IMG tag into your message. Then just go down to 'submit' like you normally do to any post you enter on NAFEX. Hopefully this helps.
    Pete J
    It's all just too Zen for me.

Default Avoid photobucket for $10/year

Quote Originally Posted by FredFogg View Post
    Actually, you can upload directly now if you are a contributing member. There should be a paper clip to the right of the smiley face in the icons above the window you type your post in. Click on it and then click on Browse and put in the photo you want, you have to do it for each photo and then click on Upload. When it is done uploading, close that window and submit your post and the photo's will be there.

As far as a Photobucket turtorial, let me work on something and I will post it later.
    Fred,

$10 a year to avoid having to learn to use Photobucket.
    It's a deal!
    Not to mention having one less "free" website capture my IP address.

Thomas of the Desert
    Tom Munson, Buckeye, AZ

Quote Originally Posted by PeteJ View Post
    Pretty easy to upload using photo bucket. Once you upload your photo(s) to the site, you can then go to your library at Photobucket and look through your photos. Click on the one you want to show on Nafex. It should open it in a separate/different window (see below) as a single photo. On my Mac, to the right are four ways you can 'share' this photo. To the right of each of the four links: Email & IM, Direct, HTML, IMG, you want to click on the box to the right of IMG. Once you move your cursor to that box and click it, it should say 'copied' very briefly. If not, then highlight it and physically copy under your EDIT tab on your browser. But I figure it will just say 'copied' and that will be all you need. Then, go back to NAFEX and open your message (I often have my message already written and waiting for me to finish in another tab or window while I'm on photo bucket), and 'paste' your copied IMG tag into your message. Then just go down to 'submit' like you normally do to any post you enter on NAFEX. Hopefully this helps.
    Pete,

Thanks for the advice. I may use it later if need be.
    In the meantime I just went to Personal Messages, clicked on "Donate", dropped my $10 in through PayPal (very intuitive) and supposedly now have direct photo upload privileges.

One of the last things I want to do in what remains of this lifetime is to keep large blocks of my files on somebody else's server. They harvest enough of my data without me giving it away.

Thomas of the Desert
    Tom Munson, Buckeye, AZ

Tom, yeah I hear ya. I already had a photo bucket account because initially that was the only way you could get it done here on Nafex. It wasn't until later that Chris L. made the donate to photo download direct thing as an option, but by then I had a bunch of photos on pb. So I'll let PB have it, it'll be nice to be remember by someone when I'm gone.LOL
    Pete J
    It's all just too Zen for me.

Default Posting photos as a supporting member

If you post photos just pay the $10 to be a supporting member. I just posted my first photo. It was way painless.
    Tom Munson, Buckeye, AZ

Default Photo posting problems when going direct

I just did a post where I did a direct attach. 5 pictures went "invalid link" and the 6th posted ok.
    Not sure what I did or didn't do wrong or right on either.

The one thing I am sure of is once a picture attaches to a post you can not use it in another post, even if you rename it on your computer. I have not tried reloading it to the computer from the camera. Does the DSC00XX just carry along no matter what?

Also, If I rotated the picture in my computer file the rotation does not carry along when I upload to post. Not sure if the only thing I can do is to shoot all pictures in landscape format and post that way. Portrait format is just not going to happen?
    Tom Munson, Buckeye, AZ

Default Test Gizmo 1

I reloaded a photo that I have already posted from my camera to a different folder on my computer. I got "management error" already uploaded in thread: Cheap Beep. May be a way I can go back to that upload to use it in another post, may not.
    Tom Munson, Buckeye, AZ

I often copy the direct link to my facebook photos and paste the link between the bracketed [IMG] and [/IMG]. Make sure the photo is set to public, right click it and select "copy image address"

^from my facebook
    -Ryan

Default Problem loading files

I have been trying to load a photo as an attachment. I can select a JPG or a PDF, click upload, and it looks like it is loading something. Then it goes to waiting for nafex and then goes "Upload Failed"

Anyone else having this problem?

Thomas of the Desert
    Tom Munson, Buckeye, AZ

Use imgur?
    ___/.6"\
    __(-~\:"\
    Chesley K.

I saw a new post in this thread, thought maybe a useful way to post photo's- dang spam
    I haven't posted a photo in years used to do it all the time- I would sure appreciate a method that works
    Ross Dirks
    Pheasant hawker in NW Iowa

Quote Originally Posted by Ross View Post
    I saw a new post in this thread, thought maybe a useful way to post photo's- dang spam
    I haven't posted a photo in years used to do it all the time- I would sure appreciate a method that works
    did you see this ross?
    http://www.nafex.net/showthread.php?...Picture-how-to
    -Jeff
    "You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." --Marco Simoncelli

I'll try again. When I did that before one of the pictured screenshots would not come up on my computer and I was at an impasse. I should have time later this weekend.
    Ross Dirks
    Pheasant hawker in NW Iowa

Gimme a ring if its not working, we’ll get it sorted!
    -Jeff
    "You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." --Marco Simoncelli

Quote Originally Posted by Ross View Post
    I'll try again. When I did that before one of the pictured screenshots would not come up on my computer and I was at an impasse. I should have time later this weekend.
    It's probably because the file size is too big. I don't know what the limit is but I've run into this problem before and I had to edit the pic and save it at a lower resolution.
    Paul Domski
    New Mexico, USA

Thread Information