Thread: Pre-Apprentice

Post Pre-Apprentice

My name is Scott Heberer, I'm 53 and live in central Illinois. I never heard of falconry until this past January. Since my wife and I moved to the country 22 years ago (Manito|Spring Lake area) I've increasingly become more and more "captured" by the regal beauty of the Red-Tailed hawks that habitate the roads back and forth to work. That intrigue lead me to research the broadwing on YouTube, and there is where I learned about this wonderful sport of falconry. I was blown away by the fact that with proper guidance and knowledge, a person could trap a hawk, and in a matter of a few weeks be in the field free flying and hunting..that blew me away. So I quickly became emersed and drawn deeper into these raptors day by day! I found Great Lakes Falconers Association on the web, and my wife and I attended their Feb. (unfortunately the last 1 of the year) field meet. After that, I was sharp-set on pursuing falconry. I set a goal to take and pass my Illinois State exam before May--tested on 4-28-17 and passed with an 86%; below my goal of a 90, but hey, I'll take it. Now I'm in the limbo state of trying to find falconers in my area, with the hopes of finding a sponsor, getting facilities built and passed, and being a licensed apprentice by September. Maybe a bit unrealistic, yet that's my goal. The part I have no control over is having a General or Master who lives in my area, and who is willing to go thru the tedious task of sponsorship. So, my main objective of posting is to begin making contacts and friendships that will help give me a slip on this new passion of mine. Feel free to PM me with anyone who may want to talk falconry, and-or work with a an old guy like me!
    scott heberer
    ..."they will soar on wings like eagles.."

Hey Scott! to Nafex! Gotta say first off that 53 is NOT old. Just had my birthday and I'm WAY above that age and love flying my red-tail!

Hope someone in Illinois will chime in soon and be willing to get you started in the right direction on a sponsor. I'm in east Texas, so no help here. Since falconry is something you obviously WANT to get involved in, I'm guessing you will find a way! Good luck and welcome to the beginnings of a crazy life style!
    Deb Davis
    Give every day the chance to become the most beautiful of your life. - Mark Twain

Deb Davis; Thanks for your reply; it's an encouragement! It's unfortunate, in a way, that I stumbled onto falconry right at the end of the season here in Illinois. But everything in my falconry journey so far is happening in an order that is, well "special"..for lack of a better word. My Dad passed in November, Thanksgiving night actually. 86, best Pal, irreplacable. After Dad passed it left a major void in my life; I'd spent the last couple years helping care for him, and just soaking up time with him. I had a very special bond with him-he knew me like no other human, even my wife of 29 years; we shared strengths & weaknesses. I found myself grappling with the grief that the Dad-sized hole in my heart was causing. I don't have a best Pal, or hang around in the man-packs like many men do; I'm kinda like the red-tailed hawk in that regard. When I opened a door and found falconry behind it, it, just even the study of it, caused a great burden to be lifted off of me. That made an impression on me, that this subject and the raptors involved could grab hold of me in a place so deep. So, like I stated before, after I went to that 1st falconry meet and watched the Red-Tailed hawk hunt up close(falconer even let me hold the bird at the end of the day!) I came home on a mission..how to become a falconer.. I have been a musician since 15; and up till I was 40, that passion burned in me like nothing else. Unfortunately, that passion burnt out 13 years ago, and I've tried many different things to try and fill that need and void in my being but have found nothing to "take me away to that special state.."-until now. Falconry will offer me so much in regards to what my personality thrives for. I could go on and on about this: it's meant to be. Right now for me is the darkest time of it all because it's all about the unknowns..I can work hard and pass a test, and can build a fine hawk facility, but I can't sprout local falconers or a sponsor. So if you believe in prayer, say one for me that I will exude patience during this time...looking for locals to go out and play with!!
    scott heberer

Life will never be the same !!!!!
    KT Topash. Wesley Chapel, FL
    never walk in another man shoes. Make your own path in life!

Hey there Scott! Are you any relation to a Chris Heberer? He would be in his early to mid thirties and was a fraternity brother of mine at the University of Tennessee Knoxville. Im sure its a long shot but he was from Illinois and its not the most common last name lol! My wife and I are falconers in Tennessee. Good luck becoming a Falconer and life will never be the same!
    Josh Hoos
    Franklin, TN

Hello Josh! I do not know Chris, was he from Peoria area?? I know where Franklin, TN is though, been through there many times, and did some recording at a a guy's home studio there, like 15 years ago; neat place! I'd like to know more about your falconry experience, and your wife's. Although my wife won't plan to become a licensed apprentice, she is very interested in my interest in the sport. Thanks for your post\reply!!
    scott heberer

Thread Information