Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Cooper's

Default New Cooper's

We pulled these yesterday evening. Looks like a male and female 6 to 8 days old. Birds will be imprinted then tame hacked. Should be an interesting summer. Kurt

Congrats! Looks like a bundle of fun just waiting there...
    ~ Lee
    "Nature does nothing uselessly." Aristotle

Ahhh, the days of down floating every where in the house! Looking forward to seeing others flying coops on here. Congrats Kurt!
    Fred
    "Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Glad to see all the coops on the forum this year! Can't wait until they're all out snagging sparrows, should be lots to read in a month or two!
    -Isaac

Kurt:
    Look like a hand full to me. I see you have a food plate in front of the COHA, are they feeding themselves already? What is on the plate and how did you prep air the food?
    EVERET K. HORTON, MICHIGAN
    Game is the name of the Game

That's great! Should be interesting to hear how the hack turns out. That's getting to be very popular with shortwings it seems.

They started taking food from the plate last night. Both birds are eating well. I'll post more pictures as they grow, Just talked to the other falconer and they will be hacked out together behind his house as I have a resident GHO about a 100 yds from my place. Kurt

Kurt:
    What was the diet on the plate? Ground up sparrow with no feathers?
    EVERET K. HORTON, MICHIGAN
    Game is the name of the Game

Quote Originally Posted by kurt View Post
    They started taking food from the plate last night. Both birds are eating well. I'll post more pictures as they grow, Just talked to the other falconer and they will be hacked out together behind his house as I have a resident GHO about a 100 yds from my place. Kurt
    Kurt, are both birds being raised together?
    Fred

Starling is whats for dinner. They'll be raised together until after the hack then we'll train them seperate. The other falconer will take over on Saturday and we'll trade off until the hacking at which time I'll be spending a lot of time at their house. Kurt

Starling is whats for dinner. They'll be raised together until after the hack then we'll train them seperate. The other falconer will take over on Saturday and we'll trade off until the hacking at which time I'll be spending a lot of time at their house. Kurt
    Interesting way to imprint? Have you done this before and if so, what advantages do you see from doing this? Another falcone and I pulled our eyas coops from the same nest but imprinted them ourselves, but I might try it this way the next time if there is an advantage. Keep us updated, very interested in this process.
    Fred

This is actually a dual imprint process. The only real advantage I can see is if the birds are to be flown together as a cast. Other than that I would not let anyone else raise my imprint.
    Krys Langevin
    There's nothing like a trail of blood to find your way back home.

Doubtful that we'll fly them as a cast. This is my first attempt at imprinting but I have a good coach and I'll follow his recipe. There's been a couple done like this with a 100% success so far. Hope I can keep up the average. Kurt

Todays photo of the little monsters. Both birds are totally quiet, eating well and unfazed by anything around them, including the puppies. Mine's the one with the big feet. Kurt

From today after banding. birds are eating well, socializing at Mike's right now with kids and dogs. I'll have them back on the 23rd for a while. Kurt

This is my first attempt at imprinting but I have a good coach and I'll follow his recipe. There's been a couple done like this with a 100% success so far. Hope I can keep up the average. Kurt
    So how does this other recipe differ from the McD recipie? Mind sharing it or is it a secret? Thanks~
    ~ Lee

From today after banding. birds are eating well, socializing at Mike's right now with kids and dogs. I'll have them back on the 23rd for a while. Kurt
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Slikkers View Post
    So how does this other recipe differ from the McD recipie? Mind sharing it or is it a secret? Thanks~
    I'm thinking it is Mike McD's recipe and that Mike's house is McD's house. Just a guess though.
    Krys Langevin

The other bird (male) is Mike McDermott's. Mike was my sponsor and we'll work the imprinting together. The tame hack will be at his house as I don't think an imprint would stand a chance around mine with the GHO's here. Trust me, I be following his recipe. Kurt

Thanks ...
    ~ Lee

The other bird (male) is Mike McDermott's. Mike was my sponsor and we'll work the imprinting together. The tame hack will be at his house as I don't think an imprint would stand a chance around mine with the GHO's here. Trust me, I be following his recipe. Kurt
    You must have been one hell of an apprentice if he trusts you raising his imprint. Kudos to you. And I take back my earlier comment...I would probably let Mike raise my imprint.
    Krys Langevin

Thanks for the complement but I'm just following Mike's directions. I'm reading and rereading the Imprint II and ABP books while he has the birds this week. I'm looking forward to having them back for a while next week. Both birds are doing well and growing fast. Kurt

What book is the Imprint II? Is the reprrint we've waited so long for?
    Jeff Suggs
    Texas

Quote Originally Posted by frootdog View Post
    And I take back my earlier comment...I would probably let Mike raise my imprint.
    No you wouldn't Krys, but it was nice of you to say it
    Thanks,
    Wes

Yes, the Imprint rewrite is almost complete. Photos are being captioned and new photos may be added. Kurt
    Last edited by kurt; 06-20-2008 at 12:47 AM.

Kurt,
    Would you ask Mike two things. First please extend an invite to NAFEX and secondly, ask him if the laws changed to allow apprentices to fly any wild bird of any age if he would be willing to allow his apprentice to fly an imprint accipiter. If you don't mind, I would like to hear what he says.
    Thanks,
    Wes

In answer to the first question Mike doesn't have internet service at this time. I'll try to remember to ask about the second but my guess is he'd want someone to have weight control down before attempting any accipiter. Kurt

Picture from today, both birds are getting more active even though you can't tell from the picture. They're starting to walk around some, flapping wings. Feeding is done off a whole carcass with minced meat in it. I'll try and get some shots of them doing something besides setting. Kurt

Picture of birds yesterday. Both are growing fast and changing daily. They'll be spending their time at Mike's now until after the hack. 24 hr food will stop this week end and lure training starting. I'll be spending a lot of evenings over there. Kurt

Picture of birds yesterday. Both are growing fast and changing daily. They'll be spending their time at Mike's now until after the hack. 24 hr food will stop this week end and lure training starting. I'll be spending a lot of evenings over there. Kurt
    Kurt,
    They are lookin' great. Does Mike like to intermew his coops or does he like to train new ones each season?
    Thanks,
    Wes

Talking

I'm not sure what Mike's plans are for next year other than it may involve imprinting a Goshawk (or 2) . Kurt

Wink

Picture from today at Mikes. Neither bird is aggressive towards lure yet but starting tomorrow they'll only be fed twice a day so hopefully that'll change quickly. Both are doing well. Birds will be tethered starting tonight.Kurt

Picture from today at Mikes. Neither bird is aggressive towards lure yet but starting tomorrow they'll only be fed twice a day so hopefully that'll change quickly. Both are doing well. Birds will be tethered starting tonight.Kurt

Wow Kurt, they are really growing quickly. How old are they now?
    Thanks,
    Wes

We believe the birds were hatched around the 6th. The nest they were taken from hadn't been scouted beforehand. Kurt

Quote Originally Posted by wesleyc6 View Post
    Wow Kurt, they are really growing quickly. How old are they now?
    So around 24-25 days it would appear. Thanks for posting! They look great!
    Thanks,
    Wes

When do coopers hard pen?
    Isaac

Thread Information