Thread: Greetings from VA.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Greetings from VA.

Hello everyone
    My name is Justin. I had a pretty tough time getting an account started but I am here now.

I live in Front Royal, Virginia. I'm 35 and have started to read everything I can about this amazing sport. Im not on the internet much because I spend most of my time outdoors. It was tough at first finding out information locally. Just what I got from the nice lady at the DGIF. She did give me the numbers to 3 falconers in my area. 2 general and a master. I have yet to contact them. To be perfectly honest, I don't want to pester people. Plus I wanted to get a little reading done before I just picked up the phone and started asking "hey teach me".

After some reading. Calling the DGIF again and finally breaking down and using good old Google I emailed the folks at the Virginia falconers association and got a reply!
    There are 2 events coming up in the near future. One is in Harrisonburg and the other is pretty close to me in Winchester. Me and my wife are planning on going to both. She is a licensed vet technician and is also interested in the sport. This leads me to my previous dilemma and my first of many questions on this forum.

I will be honest here and say, I'm really trying to find a sponsor, not a paper one though. Though I don't want to be rude or seem pushy. I'm not looking for someone to say "Hi I'm Fred. I'll be your sponsor" from the start. I don't have any equipment. I don't have a mew. I got books though. Plus I am in the process of buying a home right now. I do want to get into the field though and see quarry taken. I want to see other falconers, mews, and birds. I just want to take it all in. With all that being said, how should I go about introducing myself?
    Am I being to timid or should I have already called the falconers given to me by the DGIF?

Thanks everyone and I'm glad I'm here.

No one ever got a sponsor without being a pest
    Speak up.
    Look in Yahoo groups for The Virginia Falconers Association. There is also a Facebook page.
    John
    Still the finest hoods in Marshall.

Definitely speak up. Sponsors always have people who "want to be an apprentice" but very few stand up and actually do it, so you'll need to prove your dedication to be seriously considered as a candidate. Luckily for me, chance lead me to my sponsor at a time when I finally had the time, money, and space to begin an apprenticeship. I received my permit yesterday so I am not too awful far ahead of where you're at. But definitely speak up and be heard and make it plain that you are seriously interested and willing to start such an ordeal.
    Chris Gibson
    NW New Mexico

Welcome to the crazy world of falconry! I agree with the others. Attend the upcoming functions and speak up to let folks know you are seriously interested in becoming an apprentice. Ask if anyone would be willing to let you accompany them on hunts. You will learn a lot by going out in the field with falconers and their birds. You mentioned you want a sponsor, but not a paper one. Hunting with some different falconers will let them get to know you; and, will let you get to know THEM. A two year apprenticeship means both sides need to enter the arrangement knowing what to expect of the other part of the "team". Falconry is a journey, enjoy!
    Deb Davis
    Give every day the chance to become the most beautiful of your life. - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Sayloth View Post
    . . . how should I go about introducing myself? Am I being to timid or should I have already called the falconers given to me by the DGIF?
    Sorry, meant to address this part of your post and hit "post quick reply" too soon!

My personal recommendation would be to call the folks, that the DGIF provided info on, and let them know where you obtained their phone number and that you will be at the meets. Also let them know you are interested in becoming an apprentice and look forward to introducing yourself to them at the meets, if they will be there. If they live a reasonable distance from you, heck I'd go ahead and ask if you can drive over "now" and beat some brush for them on some hunts. Nothing wrong with letting them know you are READY to get started.

Again, enjoy your falconry journey!
    Deb Davis
    Give every day the chance to become the most beautiful of your life. - Mark Twain

My personal experience is similar to yours. I wanted to get started but didn't know anyone. I reached out to the local club and got put in touch with a Master who eventually became my sponsor. You do need to take initiative and show a genuine interest...plus they will at least make sure you are reading the right material. I didn't start my actual apprenticeship, on paper and officially, till I had read and studied at the guidance of my would be sponsor for about 2 seasons. Taking it all in and learning is certainly paramount to a good foundation.
    Chris Lucarelli

Hi, I am Fred but I can't be your sponsor! LOL (I live too far away) Join the Virginia Falconers Association, go to the 2 meets you mentioned (you might see me at one or both meets), and definitely give the local falconers a call and tell them you want to go hawking with them. Getting out there and beating the brush and flushing a rabbit for someone never hurts your chances of getting a sponsor. Falconry is a long journey, take your time and enjoy the ride!
    Fred
    "Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Well thank you everyone for the response. It's much appreciated.

I went ahead and joined the Yahoo group Virginia Falconry and I'm awaiting approval. I also printed out the membership application for the Virginia falconers association, to take with me to the January meet and have it signed.

Fred, I hope to see you there too meet in person and again thank you for the advice and information, everyone.

Justin,

I was in your boat a year and a half ago and second the advice. To add, my recommendation would be to ask the falconers who you have contacted just to join their hunts now through the rest of the season. The meets, while great, can be hectic with so many people in the field. Your best bet is to go on some hunts this winter. I would be happy to have you along with me, but I am just a lowly beginner myself and am just about to free fly for the first time.

Do you have places to hunt already? If so, go now to see how long it takes you to kick up a rabbit. If you can find a field that is infested with them, literally, that is good leverage... just sayin'!

Best of luck, and I will see you at the meets this year!
    -William
    William Phillips

Hello, Justin! Welcome!

Thread Information