Thread: Pleasure to Be Here (Newb Incoming)

Talking Pleasure to Be Here (Newb Incoming)

Howdy from Tenessee! My names Cassady or preferably just call me by my screen name Zuke. (I'll be signing with Cass tho)

I've been fascinated by falconry after watching a educator at a renaissance fair in Kentucky three years ago. Rather dominantly, its continued to be a fascination of mine since that point, and I've finally thought sincerely about perusing it.

I'm still rather young (I turned 18 last april - about to turn 19 this year) but I'm really eager to at least test myself out and see if this is something I just want to admire or something I want to genuinely chase. I plan on buying the Apprentice Falconry Guide (http://www.westernsporting.com/FB107...prentices.html if you've read it and think its adequate or have any other recommendations please do mention) and would greatly appreciate any help I can get. I'm still not sure I have the complete dedication to take on falconry so especially websites or meets (Even though I have limited transportation, and probably won't be able to within the next few months... Still haven't gotten my driving liscense >D) would be greatly appreciated. (Falconry is a huge taking after all)

I look forward to learning more about this place and the sport though. (ouo)

~Cassady
    Last edited by Zuke117; 01-26-2018 at 02:07 PM. Reason: im nervous ok

Welcome!
    ---Evan

to NAFEX! What part of Tennessee are you in? Lived in the Tri-Cities area (Kingsport/Johnson City/Bristol) for a long time, but that was years ago now.
    Deb Davis
    Give every day the chance to become the most beautiful of your life. - Mark Twain

I live in middle Tennessee, about an hour away from the capitol, and about 30 minutes away from the Kentucky border >D
    ~ Cassady

That's a good book for taking the test. If your planning on getting a Red Tail I highly recommend William Oaks book on falconry, I can't recall the name of the book but if you look up William Oaks you should be good.
    18 is as good as time as any to start, I am only 16 and got my first bird when I was barley 13
    Falconry is a great sport and once your in it you will love it!
    Luke Ryan, Apprentice falconer
    Gordon county, Georgia. Eph 2:8-9

Thanks so much Luke.~ I appreciate any help I can get. I wrote down the book I found of his as a reference for me to buy in the future if I'm able to get the funds.

I'm not sure if I want a Redtail or what I want honestly. I've kind of been growing warmer to the concept of a Kestrel and naming them Blin (Means pancake in either Polish or Russian or both.. its a long story). I kind of just want to learn more about the birds before deciding what I do, its why I really wanna go to meets and especially if I can get to one I really want to volunteer at a wildlife rescue especially if I can find one near me that is birds only.
    ~ Cassady

Cassady - Just a thought, but you might want to contact your local library. They may have the Williams Oaks book on hand, but if NOT they can get a copy for you through inter-library loan. Then you can read it, without having to shell out the funds to purchase it. This is true of many falconry books. Figure out what you want, give the librarian the correct title and author and they do all the rest. Some libraries will charge a few dollars to cover cost of postage, others don't. Most will limit the number you can get at one time - but you can't read them all at once anyway!

Good idea to learn about the birds, before making a final decision on what you want to fly for your first bird. Enjoy your journey!
    Deb Davis
    Give every day the chance to become the most beautiful of your life. - Mark Twain

Thanks Deb I hadn't thought of that! Still have to wait though until I get my license which will hopefully be soon. I appreciate the advice since thats a pretty good idea. xD
    ~ Cassady

I mirror what Deb said.... I got a few books through the inter-library system.. The antique librarian in my small town didn't understand what I was wanting so it took some explaining for the search criteria. I spent the deer season prior reading the books while I sat in the river bottom.
    I liked 'The Art of Falconry' probably the best for an old book. As my budget is generally limited, I don't always have the extra cash for new books, but I try to get one a year. My next one is going to be American Kestrels in Modern Falconry-- Matthew Mullinex.
    The CHC guide is helpful, as well as the quizlet online tests also.
    ---Evan

Thread Information