Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 35 of 57

Thread: Marshall GPS for Droid?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Perry, OK
    Posts
    15

    Default Marshall GPS for Droid?

    Has anyone heard when or if the DROID version is due out? Last time I called, they suggested I get an ICRAP phone!

    PJ
    Phil Salvati Perry, OK
    "The journey is the reward"

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Cherokee village Arkansas
    Posts
    1,881

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Red Earth View Post
    Has anyone heard when or if the DROID version is due out? Last time I called, they suggested I get an ICRAP phone!

    PJ
    You could always find a used iPhone 5s or a iPad mini 2 on eBay for around 100.00. You could use it solely for the gps system.
    Derek

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Perry, OK
    Posts
    15

    Default

    Derek.... Well, I never thought of that!

    SHopping now thanks!
    Phil Salvati Perry, OK
    "The journey is the reward"

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Seattle, Wa
    Posts
    4,714

    Default

    That implies that I have a desire to support crapple by running their crap though.

    MRT - if you are listenting - there are a lot of customers (80% of the smartphone market share) that you are avoiding by being an apple only shop. I dont know the numbers for tablets, but Apple has only cornered that market in their own imagination as well.
    Geoff Hirschi - "It is better to have lightning in the fist than thunder in the mouth"
    Custom made Tail Saver Perches - http://www.myrthwood.com/TieEmHigh/

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Cherokee village Arkansas
    Posts
    1,881

    Default

    Make sure it has a iOS rating that’s compatible with the system. You probably want to stay away from anything that can’t be updated to a later iOS
    Derek

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Cherokee village Arkansas
    Posts
    1,881

    Default

    I’m not a big fan of thier desktops or MacBooks. But I do love iPhone! Android phones are more prone to freezing and kicking you off when a error occurres. We got our 4 kids androids for Christmas. Less than 3 months all 4 developing issues. One shuts off without warning with a full battery. 2 have have the catch cleared and network settings reset every week or two and the other won’t except any as card we’ve tried. Granted the galaxy Luna pro is not top of the line. But I use a older iPhone now for 2 years with no issues.
    In the last6 years we’ve bought 13 Android tablets and phones. The four new ones are still working, the rest are in a box waiting for the day I recover the gold and platinum.
    Derek

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    3,612

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Red Earth View Post
    Has anyone heard when or if the DROID version is due out? Last time I called, they suggested I get an ICRAP phone!
    PJ
    I spoke to Marshall just this week, and they said they are working on it, but have been focusing all of their resources on the new 4.0 version which will be released in April for IOS. There are some really cool features in that relaease. So much so that I am almost tempted to get an IOS device just to use it for the GPS system. (Geoff will send me a message off line to talk me out of that so I can continue to like myself as much as that is possible)

    MRT is hoping to have Android 4.0 ready before the coming season. Developing Android apps which use hardware resources (such as GPS, accelerometer and compass) is much more difficult than a straight "display it on the screen and let them push buttons" kind of mainstream app due to slight differences in the hardware from manufacturer to manufacturer, etc. I can't blame them for exercising caution because I value the reputation of my company as much as they do theirs and I am reluctant to release things until I am absolutely sure they will work. Customers rarely tell other people when something works well but have one small thing go wrong and they will plaster it all over social media like it was an amber alert.




    Ron N1WT Vermont

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Pine Grove, PA.
    Posts
    887

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by goshawkr View Post
    That implies that I have a desire to support crapple by running their crap though.

    MRT - if you are listenting - there are a lot of customers (80% of the smartphone market share) that you are avoiding by being an apple only shop. I dont know the numbers for tablets, but Apple has only cornered that market in their own imagination as well.
    That market share reference gets used all over the technology world, normally as an "android selling pitch" but the reality is the web traffic use is almost evenly split with countries like the UK and US lead by iOS devices (https://deviceatlas.com/blog/ios-vs-...oss-whole-2016 and theres many more articles if you care to look), especially in the tablet world the iOS takes the traffic lead(https://deviceatlas.com/blog/android...re-2017-review). Having 80% market share against apple isn't hard when you complete in market sectors that apple does not. Apple doesn't have those cheap "for the kids" or old time "i dont need a fancy phone" priced products, which is fine, and realistically i'm sure part of Apple's marketing scheme to appear as more elite.

    GPS for falconry is a market that in the vast majority of cases isn't targeting those that barely know how to use a phone or those types of people are still whining about the transition to UHF yet alone purchasing a phone to adopt and run the software. The reality is it's not "Android has the lions share of high end tech users" and more probable its a pretty even split in those likely to adopt a GPS product to sling to their mobile (if you factor in tablet use its probably skewed towards apple in that case as they do hold the larger share of the tablet market).


    Quote Originally Posted by rkumetz View Post


    MRT is hoping to have Android 4.0 ready before the coming season.
    They had posted multiple times on their GPS User Group that the Android release would be launched backdated on 3.5 and not on 4.0, did that change recently? Also I know they had posted that the Android release would come with device limitations (certain brands/phones will be approved, but not all). They posted pretty regularly about the Droid stuff for a while on their facebook. They had posted a bit about a lot of struggles with the GPS system being not as accurate and lock times being 3-4x as long as the iOS counterpart. I think you are definitely right they are playing the smart route and not releasing something that would be a nightmare for the userbase.
    Gregory E. Miller
    "Hunt hard, kill swiftly, waste nothing, offer no apologies." - Teddy Moritz/Unknown Origin

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    3,612

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gemiller View Post
    They had posted multiple times on their GPS User Group that the Android release would be launched backdated on 3.5 and not on 4.0, did that change recently? Also I know they had posted that the Android release would come with device limitations (certain brands/phones will be approved, but not all). They posted pretty regularly about the Droid stuff for a while on their facebook. They had posted a bit about a lot of struggles with the GPS system being not as accurate and lock times being 3-4x as long as the iOS counterpart. I think you are definitely right they are playing the smart route and not releasing something that would be a nightmare for the userbase.
    When I spoke to them a week ago they said that they had committed to adding additional resources to the Android development effort. I didn't ask whether they planned to launch 3.5 or hold out for 4.0.

    I can't speak for all industries but when my company looked into having apps to control some our products we found that the hoops we would need to jump through to give away an app would not
    be worth it for an iOS app so we went with Android. After about 5 years exactly 1 (one, uno.....) guy has complained. So I can say that broadcast engineers are using Android. Most have the same sort of "I will do with the gizmo that I bought whatever I damn well feel like" attitude that Geoff and I do so that more than likely explains it.

    This iOS vs Android thing will go on and on and neither company is predisposed to having us know the real numbers. I believe it was either Mark Twain or HL Menken that said "first collect your facts and then you may distort them at your leisure".
    Ron N1WT Vermont

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Seattle, Wa
    Posts
    4,714

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gemiller View Post
    Having 80% market share against apple isn't hard when you complete in market sectors that apple does not. Apple doesn't have those cheap "for the kids" or old time "i dont need a fancy phone" priced products, which is fine, and realistically i'm sure part of Apple's marketing scheme to appear as more elite.
    Well, Apple certainly does have a corner on the market of those who think "everyone who is not using an apple product is a plebeian". My experience in the industry is that Apple actually has managed to land close to 100% of this market, and it has consistently locked up that market going clear back to the late 80s.

    The reality is it's not "Android has the lions share of high end tech users" and more probable its a pretty even split in those likely to adopt a GPS product to sling to their mobile (if you factor in tablet use its probably skewed towards apple in that case as they do hold the larger share of the tablet market).
    Apple's share of the high end tech users is not even close to 50%. Last I took a peak at single manufactures that had the lead of tablets, Amazon was the king of the hill with their Kindle fire, but that was some time ago. But that still wouldn't be the real point I was making. There are a lot of companies out there that that buy into Apple's story that they have the entire market.

    They had posted multiple times on their GPS User Group that the Android release would be launched backdated on 3.5 and not on 4.0, did that change recently? Also I know they had posted that the Android release would come with device limitations (certain brands/phones will be approved, but not all). They posted pretty regularly about the Droid stuff for a while on their facebook. They had posted a bit about a lot of struggles with the GPS system being not as accurate and lock times being 3-4x as long as the iOS counterpart. I think you are definitely right they are playing the smart route and not releasing something that would be a nightmare for the userbase.
    Having device limitations is common on the droid ecosystem. Its actually something of a necessary reality since it is such a complex area. I do hope that they will take the stance that many do of letting their app be downloaded to devices that are not on the approved list. Sometimes app developers make take a hard line stance about that. I have yet to run into an app that dosnt work just fine on my device despite not being in the "tested and approved" category.
    Geoff Hirschi - "It is better to have lightning in the fist than thunder in the mouth"
    Custom made Tail Saver Perches - http://www.myrthwood.com/TieEmHigh/

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    577

    Default

    I know they are beta testing iOS 4.0. Wish they would fix the screen orientation problem. Have had it with 2 iPhones and an iPad. The direction of movement get confused between portrait and landscape mode.
    John

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Buckeye, Arizona
    Posts
    1,031

    Default

    I quote myself on the subject of VHF conventional telemetry:

    "The FCC has allocated the 216 band to the Low Power Radio Service for use in "medical and hearing assistive devices". You can make a case that you are a falconer and the beeping in the earphones is palliative for the recurring anxiety attacks and preventive for the occasional paranoid episodes associated with this particular mental disorder."

    Regards,
    Thomas of the Demented
    Tom Munson, Buckeye, AZ
    619-379-2656, tom@munson.us

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Cherokee village Arkansas
    Posts
    1,881

    Default

    One of apples strongest features as of right now that it has over Android is device security. In the past Apple devices had bugs that would allow a person to access the phone contents. Making it possible for someone to steal your phone access all your information and reset and keep and use your phone. Other than the recent chip flaw discovery Apple has had the tightest security after all of its updates. The expected update to fix the chip flaw actually is turning out to be s blessings for Apple now that they are in the process of updates that utilize this flaw as a secondary security feature. The chip flaw allows for the phone to send to different security protocols at the same time. Providing tighter security!
    Android on the other hand, I can take any android device you want and access everything, erase every. And do what I wish. Set it up on windows if you like. The Android phones are great phones, but they are technically all the same.
    And for those of that are thinking, your stuff is safe because of your google account security that it won’t let anyone access your stuff with out a password. Screw Google who needs them anyway! Sure your phone is locked by Google account. But the Android os is not completely integrated into google. Reason to many manufacturers to many designs. Not enough One Os for all android. Google has a while to go if it’s possible to get everyone on the same page.
    With Apple you have safari browser, Apple account and a totally intergrated IOS and security. But Android has more game and apps. Oh, man they got me!
    Derek

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    3,612

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dboyrollz76 View Post
    One of apples strongest features as of right now that it has over Android is device security. In the past Apple devices had bugs that would allow a person to access the phone contents. Making it possible for someone to steal your phone access all your information and reset and keep and use your phone. Other than the recent chip flaw discovery Apple has had the tightest security after all of its updates. The expected update to fix the chip flaw actually is turning out to be s blessings for Apple now that they are in the process of updates that utilize this flaw as a secondary security feature. The chip flaw allows for the phone to send to different security protocols at the same time. Providing tighter security!
    Android on the other hand, I can take any android device you want and access everything, erase every. And do what I wish. Set it up on windows if you like. The Android phones are great phones, but they are technically all the same.
    And for those of that are thinking, your stuff is safe because of your google account security that it wonít let anyone access your stuff with out a password. Screw Google who needs them anyway! Sure your phone is locked by Google account. But the Android os is not completely integrated into google. Reason to many manufacturers to many designs. Not enough One Os for all android. Google has a while to go if itís possible to get everyone on the same page.
    With Apple you have safari browser, Apple account and a totally intergrated IOS and security. But Android has more game and apps. Oh, man they got me!
    Nope. I got an article today about security testing on both and IOS had more red flags. I can scan it for you if you would like to read it.
    Ron N1WT Vermont

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Seattle, Wa
    Posts
    4,714

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dboyrollz76 View Post
    One of apples strongest features as of right now that it has over Android is device security. In the past Apple devices had bugs that would allow a person to access the phone contents. Making it possible for someone to steal your phone access all your information and reset and keep and use your phone. Other than the recent chip flaw discovery Apple has had the tightest security after all of its updates. The expected update to fix the chip flaw actually is turning out to be s blessings for Apple now that they are in the process of updates that utilize this flaw as a secondary security feature. The chip flaw allows for the phone to send to different security protocols at the same time. Providing tighter security!
    Android on the other hand, I can take any android device you want and access everything, erase every. And do what I wish. Set it up on windows if you like. The Android phones are great phones, but they are technically all the same.
    And for those of that are thinking, your stuff is safe because of your google account security that it won’t let anyone access your stuff with out a password. Screw Google who needs them anyway! Sure your phone is locked by Google account. But the Android os is not completely integrated into google. Reason to many manufacturers to many designs. Not enough One Os for all android. Google has a while to go if it’s possible to get everyone on the same page.
    With Apple you have safari browser, Apple account and a totally intergrated IOS and security. But Android has more game and apps. Oh, man they got me!
    Keep on drinking the kool-aide there Derek......
    Geoff Hirschi - "It is better to have lightning in the fist than thunder in the mouth"
    Custom made Tail Saver Perches - http://www.myrthwood.com/TieEmHigh/

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Cherokee village Arkansas
    Posts
    1,881

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by goshawkr View Post
    Keep on drinking the kool-aide there Derek......
    That craps gross, Iíll take sweet tea anyday. But itís true, pick any android you want Iíll unlock it. Piece of cake!
    Derek

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Seattle, Wa
    Posts
    4,714

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dboyrollz76 View Post
    That craps gross, I’ll take sweet tea anyday. But it’s true, pick any android you want I’ll unlock it. Piece of cake!
    Sure, I know you can.

    I can unlock an crapple phone. Big deal. But then, I am a programmer with access to some hard core programming tools....
    Geoff Hirschi - "It is better to have lightning in the fist than thunder in the mouth"
    Custom made Tail Saver Perches - http://www.myrthwood.com/TieEmHigh/

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Cherokee village Arkansas
    Posts
    1,881

    Default

    Then why can Apple not unlock a Locke iPhone. Even if your the original user. Geoff if you can do that theee are loads of bricked iPhones for sale. Ones with good esn that just have locked iTunes accounts. You could make bank because they are being sold cheap for parts. Because they are useless. The bad vibes you hear about Apple come from this. Pissed off consumers that have forgot their security passcode or phone pin, taking thier device to Apple thinking Apple can Help. Then getting made when they are told that they can’t. That Apple has not developed a software to crack its own encryption and override its security protocols. Doing such would compromise what Apple has done to tighten mobile security. And hose against Apples privacy policy.
    Derek

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    311

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dboyrollz76 View Post
    Then why can Apple not unlock a Locke iPhone. Even if your the original user. Geoff if you can do that theee are loads of bricked iPhones for sale. Ones with good esn that just have locked iTunes accounts. You could make bank because they are being sold cheap for parts. Because they are useless. The bad vibes you hear about Apple come from this. Pissed off consumers that have forgot their security passcode or phone pin, taking thier device to Apple thinking Apple can Help. Then getting made when they are told that they canít. That Apple has not developed a software to crack its own encryption and override its security protocols. Doing such would compromise what Apple has done to tighten mobile security. And hose against Apples privacy policy.
    If I know one thing about technology, itís that everythingóand I mean everythingóis hackable and crackable.

    In regards to the original poster, I am surprised itís taken MRT so long to develop an Android compatible app. With the success of GPS telemetry, I wouldíve expected this to be a high priority for them. Itís good to hear itís in the works though. Itíll be a great day when any phone user can link up to a GPS transmitter and find their birds.
    Aaron -- Utah

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    3,612

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SkyRider View Post
    If I know one thing about technology, itís that everythingóand I mean everythingóis hackable and crackable.

    In regards to the original poster, I am surprised itís taken MRT so long to develop an Android compatible app. With the success of GPS telemetry, I wouldíve expected this to be a high priority for them. Itís good to hear itís in the works though. Itíll be a great day when any phone user can link up to a GPS transmitter and find their birds.
    Remember that we are the lucky beneficiaries of the guys with the big bucks that keep companies like MRT enthusiastic about selling things to falconers. The number of falconers and disposable income here in the US is not enough to justify their huge R&D investment.

    I would bet a paycheck that since it is faster to make an iOS app work they were smart and followed the carrot.

    The middle eastern guys buy falconry equipment like we buy nuts and bolts- get what you need plus a handfull of spares. They wont blink about buying a seperate iPhone just for tracking their birds.
    Ron N1WT Vermont

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    577

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rkumetz View Post
    Remember that we are the lucky beneficiaries of the guys with the big bucks that keep companies like MRT enthusiastic about selling things to falconers. The number of falconers and disposable income here in the US is not enough to justify their huge R&D investment.
    Great point Ron. I think we are very lucky to have a company like MRT, they create high quality equipment and provide excellent support!!!
    John

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    3,464

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SkyRider View Post
    If I know one thing about technology, it’s that everything—and I mean everything—is hackable and crackable.

    In regards to the original poster, I am surprised it’s taken MRT so long to develop an Android compatible app. With the success of GPS telemetry, I would’ve expected this to be a high priority for them. It’s good to hear it’s in the works though. It’ll be a great day when any phone user can link up to a GPS transmitter and find their birds.
    I agree. Twenty years ago, I could have really used a GPS system, when I was flying passage eagles. They would catch a piece of air and disappear in the clouds! I encouraged them to do it! In some very rough country in Wyoming. They'd be gone for over half an hour! But they would always find me and come down. But I had no idea where they were. How high does a female Golden Eagle have to be to speck out of visibility? I probably would have paid for the necessary GPS equipment to have it. But of course it wasn't around.

    Today, I'm hawking ducks with passage falcons in Kansas. I have a Droid phone. A GPS system would be nice to have. But I just want to hawk ducks. I believe in my current telemetry system.

    I've been watching this thread. It's very interesting. There's a very fine, faint hint suggesting that if you want to be a real falconer, you better get the Marshall GPS system and anything and everything necessary to see it happen.

    Let's hope I can come home at the end of the day with my bird. Oh, and a duck!

    All my best.
    Dan McCarron
    John 3: 16

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Tijeras, NM
    Posts
    4,382

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wyodjm View Post
    I've been watching this thread. It's very interesting. There's a very fine, faint hint suggesting that if you want to be a real falconer, you better get the Marshall GPS system and anything and everything necessary to see it happen.

    Let's hope I can come home at the end of the day with my bird. Oh, and a duck!

    All my best.
    Hi Dan,

    I think it takes much bigger huevos to fly your bird without gps if you're in situations where you can regularly fly your falcon, eagle, or soaring RT "high and wide", or from thermals. I aspire to these kinds of flights and my birds have occasionally complied, and when they do and are out of sight for extended periods it's unnerving not knowing where my birds is and when I should flush. Last season I was out with some friends for a weekend of duck hawking, and one of them has a 9 year old peregrine that loves to thermal and with GPS we were able to "watch" her for 30 minutes as she climbed to over 3000 ft and was out about a mile, she eventually came over at around 1500' when we knew we could flush for her, she wasn't successful by the way. I really liked the peace of mind that gps offered.

    I just bought a Marshall system and an iPad, my phone is a Samsung android, I don't think it makes me a real falconer, I see it more as an investment in preventative health care, if I can avoid periods during the day where my blood pressure is elevated for an extended period, then I think it's worth the investment. Just a few thoughts...
    Paul Domski
    New Mexico, USA

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    577

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saluqi View Post
    I don't think it makes me a real falconer, I see it more as an investment in preventative health care, if I can avoid periods during the day where my blood pressure is elevated for an extended period, then I think it's worth the investment. Just a few thoughts...
    Bingo!! Just makes the entire endeavor more enjoyable and I hunt squirrels with a red-tail.
    John

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    MT
    Posts
    4,182

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wyodjm View Post
    I've been watching this thread. It's very interesting. There's a very fine, faint hint suggesting that if you want to be a real falconer, you better get the Marshall GPS system and anything and everything necessary to see it happen.
    .
    I hope I’m not contributing to that mentality. Its purely for the benefit of the entire falconry experience. It’s better, it’s easier, it’s more fun with this system because of the piece of mind it gives. And that’s after I lost a very nice gyr when the system failed. Having a dedicated iPad mini that you even buy used (less than $100?) which really doesn’t support Apple or profit them in any way is worth having that piece of mind. And it’s cheap given the 10,s of thousands of dollars we all spend on this lifestyle.
    -Jeff
    "You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." --Marco Simoncelli

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Seattle, Wa
    Posts
    4,714

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dboyrollz76 View Post
    Then why can Apple not unlock a Locke iPhone. Even if your the original user. And goes against Apples privacy policy.
    That is not a case of can't, it's won't.

    Apple doesn't need to crack their encryption, they built it. It can be undone by them with no effort at all.

    A few years ago they were being subpoenaed to crack some high profile phones. They never said that they couldn't do it, which would have been a lie, they said they would not do it. That it violated their privacy policy. They also claimed they did not already have a toolkit to do it.

    They also publicly stated that the FBI, NSA, etc were welcome to make their own keys to crack a iPhone open. I am sure that was done a long time ago. In fact the subpoena might well have been a way to hide that they could already do it because that particular case was not worth making that revelation over. Or maybe the agents involved just did not know the right folks in their agency.

    Really it's not hard. Just takes a particular level of geek, and a lot of time. The few minutes to crack is Hollywood fiction. Current encryption technology is a matter of making it take more time to crack than it is worth. But there are other ways in by peeking at how the software works.

    I have not looked, but I am sure there are tools already out there in the criminal hacking world that will pop your iPhone open like an egg. It never takes long for that stuff to show up. The bad hackers want you to feel safe, so they do not like that news to get out.
    Geoff Hirschi - "It is better to have lightning in the fist than thunder in the mouth"
    Custom made Tail Saver Perches - http://www.myrthwood.com/TieEmHigh/

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Cherokee village Arkansas
    Posts
    1,881

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by goshawkr View Post
    That is not a case of can't, it's won't.

    Apple doesn't need to crack their encryption, they built it. It can be undone by them with no effort at all.

    A few years ago they were being subpoenaed to crack some high profile phones. They never said that they couldn't do it, which would have been a lie, they said they would not do it. That it violated their privacy policy. They also claimed they did not already have a toolkit to do it.

    They also publicly stated that the FBI, NSA, etc were welcome to make their own keys to crack a iPhone open. I am sure that was done a long time ago. In fact the subpoena might well have been a way to hide that they could already do it because that particular case was not worth making that revelation over. Or maybe the agents involved just did not know the right folks in their agency.

    Really it's not hard. Just takes a particular level of geek, and a lot of time. The few minutes to crack is Hollywood fiction. Current encryption technology is a matter of making it take more time to crack than it is worth. But there are other ways in by peeking at how the software works.

    I have not looked, but I am sure there are tools already out there in the criminal hacking world that will pop your iPhone open like an egg. It never takes long for that stuff to show up. The bad hackers want you to feel safe, so they do not like that news to get out.
    Exactly, if you remember correctly a comment from Apple. Was we’ve worke very hard to tighten our security and that the software that would be needed to crack it has not been developed. The only reason the FBI was able to gain access to the phone was because it was running a older version of iOS that had a bug that would allow you to access the phone through the accessory screen. By goin into your camera access your photos send a photo as a text to access the home screen. But that bug is long dead now. There’s a new Apple challenge coming soon because of the chip flaw. Whoever can find away to get into or access a new locked iPhone, buy finding a bug or flaw. Gets 1million cash.
    Derek

  28. #28
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    3,612

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dboyrollz76 View Post
    Exactly, if you remember correctly a comment from Apple. Was weíve worke very hard to tighten our security and that the software that would be needed to crack it has not been developed. The only reason the FBI was able to gain access to the phone was because it was running a older version of iOS that had a bug that would allow you to access the phone through the accessory screen. By goin into your camera access your photos send a photo as a text to access the home screen. But that bug is long dead now. Thereís a new Apple challenge coming soon because of the chip flaw. Whoever can find away to get into or access a new locked iPhone, buy finding a bug or flaw. Gets 1million cash.
    The big security issues with iOS devices have nothing to do with stored information. The red flag issues had to do with being able to remotely access things like the camera without the owner's knowledge. I would never store anything important on a phone or a post it note that I carry in my pocket. Once it is out of your possession all best are off no matter who made the device.
    Ron N1WT Vermont

  29. #29
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    478

    Default

    I said I wouldn't buy an apple product. so I asked all my FB friends if they had an old one kicking around. I scored a shiny kinda new 5s for free. So I stuck to my not buying apple rule I tried looking for an apple iOS emulator app but it had been flagged by apple and you couldn't get stuff off of itunes. apple blows ;P

    http://www.androidcrush.com/run-ios-apps-on-android/
    Chi M.

  30. #30
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    3,612

    Default

    Geoff,
    I got the impression that MRT's position is simply use a device that we have not tested at your own risk and don't blame us if it doesn't work.
    Ron N1WT Vermont

  31. #31
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Buckeye, Arizona
    Posts
    1,031

    Default

    TinyLoc is doing a GPS dog tracker that uses a Direct Radio Link to a handheld receiver. Their dog collar also has a plain beep on it (about 2X the range of the same transmitter pushing data). The handheld also acts as the plain beep receiver. When you are getting a data stream it will Bluetooth the information to an Android phone or tablet for moving map display. If or when they shrink the dog transmitter down to the under 15 gram class required for hawk transmitters one would guess that it will come Android capable.

    Price for a beep only receiver plus one UHF transmitter is E630 (about $660 U.S. when you back off 15% VAT and multiply by 1.23)

    About a previous question on commitment to service. They sell a refurbishing kit for the receiver with new antennas, battery cover, coax jack rubber cover and volume button rubber cover plus miscellaneous screws for E60.

    Regards,
    Thomas of the Desert
    Tom Munson, Buckeye, AZ
    619-379-2656, tom@munson.us

  32. #32
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Orlando Fl.
    Posts
    815

    Default

    Any word on android yet.I bought everything the end of last season then decided to wait till this coming season to see If I needed to get an Iphone.
    Robert Miller

    Orlando, FL

  33. #33
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    NM
    Posts
    1,684

    Default

    Robert- An easy solution is to get on craigslist and buy an ipad mini. They are a nice screen size for the field and can be picked up cheaply if you get a used one.
    Tanner

  34. #34
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    3,612

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tanner View Post
    Robert- An easy solution is to get on craigslist and buy an ipad mini. They are a nice screen size for the field and can be picked up cheaply if you get a used one.
    There are a significant amount of iPhones on Ebay and Craigslist that have bad ESN's. They are essentially phones that the owner did not pay the bill on and Verizon, AT&T, etc cut them off and locked the phone out so it is useless as a phone. They can be had for very reasonable prices.

    Or deals like this on refurb phones pop up too: https://www.woot.com/plus/iphone-6-6...t_gw_dly_wobtn

    To me it is simply a matter of principle. I can't bring myself to buy anything from Apple so I will remain optimistic that MRT will deliver on Android soon.
    Ron N1WT Vermont

  35. #35
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Orlando Fl.
    Posts
    815

    Default

    Will check it out.Thanks Tanner
    Robert Miller

    Orlando, FL

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •