Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Marshall GPS for Droid?

Quote Originally Posted by JRedig View Post
    Ron, I’m sorry, but for the benefit this gives falconry, you and others are over thinking this Apple things waaaaaay to fricken far. Buy an iPad mini for $150 and don’t use any of the other apps. It’s not an emotional decision but wow you guys are make it one.
    Its more a principal thing.

I have tablets coming out my ears - at least three that I know of, and probably a few more lying around.

I have at least 4 working smart phones in a drawer.

Marshall does not want my business bad enough to support my devices.

And of course, I do not want their product badly enough to go buy another tablet.
    Geoff Hirschi - "It is better to have lightning in the fist than thunder in the mouth"
    Custom made Tail Saver Perches - http://www.myrthwood.com/TieEmHigh/

Sounds like a whole lot of capitalisim is going on here.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by SkyRider View Post
    If I know one thing about technology, it’s that everything—and I mean everything—is hackable and crackable.

In regards to the original poster, I am surprised it’s taken MRT so long to develop an Android compatible app. With the success of GPS telemetry, I would’ve expected this to be a high priority for them. It’s good to hear it’s in the works though. It’ll be a great day when any phone user can link up to a GPS transmitter and find their birds.
    I agree. Twenty years ago, I could have really used a GPS system, when I was flying passage eagles. They would catch a piece of air and disappear in the clouds! I encouraged them to do it! In some very rough country in Wyoming. They'd be gone for over half an hour! But they would always find me and come down. But I had no idea where they were. How high does a female Golden Eagle have to be to speck out of visibility? I probably would have paid for the necessary GPS equipment to have it. But of course it wasn't around.

Today, I'm hawking ducks with passage falcons in Kansas. I have a Droid phone. A GPS system would be nice to have. But I just want to hawk ducks. I believe in my current telemetry system.

I've been watching this thread. It's very interesting. There's a very fine, faint hint suggesting that if you want to be a real falconer, you better get the Marshall GPS system and anything and everything necessary to see it happen.

Let's hope I can come home at the end of the day with my bird. Oh, and a duck!

All my best.
    Dan McCarron
    John 3: 16

Quote Originally Posted by wyodjm View Post
    I've been watching this thread. It's very interesting. There's a very fine, faint hint suggesting that if you want to be a real falconer, you better get the Marshall GPS system and anything and everything necessary to see it happen.

Let's hope I can come home at the end of the day with my bird. Oh, and a duck!

All my best.
    Hi Dan,

I think it takes much bigger huevos to fly your bird without gps if you're in situations where you can regularly fly your falcon, eagle, or soaring RT "high and wide", or from thermals. I aspire to these kinds of flights and my birds have occasionally complied, and when they do and are out of sight for extended periods it's unnerving not knowing where my birds is and when I should flush. Last season I was out with some friends for a weekend of duck hawking, and one of them has a 9 year old peregrine that loves to thermal and with GPS we were able to "watch" her for 30 minutes as she climbed to over 3000 ft and was out about a mile, she eventually came over at around 1500' when we knew we could flush for her, she wasn't successful by the way. I really liked the peace of mind that gps offered.

I just bought a Marshall system and an iPad, my phone is a Samsung android, I don't think it makes me a real falconer, I see it more as an investment in preventative health care, if I can avoid periods during the day where my blood pressure is elevated for an extended period, then I think it's worth the investment. Just a few thoughts...
    Paul Domski
    New Mexico, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Saluqi View Post
    I don't think it makes me a real falconer, I see it more as an investment in preventative health care, if I can avoid periods during the day where my blood pressure is elevated for an extended period, then I think it's worth the investment. Just a few thoughts...
    Bingo!! Just makes the entire endeavor more enjoyable and I hunt squirrels with a red-tail.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by wyodjm View Post
    I hope I’m not contributing to that mentality. Its purely for the benefit of the entire falconry experience. It’s better, it’s easier, it’s more fun with this system because of the piece of mind it gives. And that’s after I lost a very nice gyr when the system failed. Having a dedicated iPad mini that you even buy used (less than $100?) which really doesn’t support Apple or profit them in any way is worth having that piece of mind. And it’s cheap given the 10,s of thousands of dollars we all spend on this lifestyle.
    -Jeff
    "You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." --Marco Simoncelli

Hi Paul and Jeff:

You guys are my friends and you know I respect your opinions. Always have.

I don't think it takes any more huevos to fly my bird without GPS than it did 10 years ago, before any of us even heard of it! I didn't want to elaborate on me thermaling my eagles.

When I did begin to thermal an eagle, it had pair bonded with me first. After intermewing a time or two. This is one of the best kept secrets with passage eagles. If you cultivate the relationship, they will switch on you. Not imprint, but real pair bonding. Many falconers under estimate just how smart Golden Eagles are! This is what, in my opinion, makes passage eagles, kept and flown for falconry priceless! Once that pair bonding happens, it's almost impossible to lose them. And I don't mean being careless with them. They love you and will always stay with you. Even if it's 5,000 ft above you and a mile away. They will come look for you. I just couldn't see them. GPS would have given me valuable information on how high and how far away they played in the sky!

Does having GPS make your falconry better? That has to be a matter of personal opinion. Extra security? Well...probably ly! I don't have it and probably won't in the near future. Should I become so insecure that I stop flying birds and get out of falconry? I don't think so. I'm just learning how to hawk ducks with a passage falcon! Prior to GPS, people were very successful doing it. Why can't I.

All my best guys.
    Dan McCarron
    John 3: 16

I quote myself on the subject of VHF conventional telemetry:

"The FCC has allocated the 216 band to the Low Power Radio Service for use in "medical and hearing assistive devices". You can make a case that you are a falconer and the beeping in the earphones is palliative for the recurring anxiety attacks and preventive for the occasional paranoid episodes associated with this particular mental disorder."

Regards,
    Thomas of the Demented
    Tom Munson, Buckeye, AZ
    619-379-2656, tom@munson.us

GPS is quite simply amazing and will change your falconry for the better ,no ifs buts or maybes
    as for who makes it and angst at paying for an Iphone ,if i worried myself silly at theoretical "ethical" choices id be walking everywhere living in a cave in a sackcloth chewing lentils
    get the best you can get and GPS is it

Dan it would have blown you away with eagles,i had a flight last year with my peregrine shes was 1.8 miles away and 3115ft up
    i watched her position on my phone waved her over and flushed ,i never saw her until the final thousand odd feet
    pre GPS id have been waving a receiver around
    Shaun
    Ours is the sky

dboyrollz76 Guest

android sucks. It’s a open market anyone can develop a device powered by android install the firmware and rock out. Security sucks on android. Apple on the other hand is a private developer and dose not sell its firmware to the highest bidder or allow random hardware developers to use iOS. This has given Apple of the tightest security of any device. I can open, reset and get any info from a android device. You just can’t do that with Apple.
    Haters

dboyrollz76 Guest

But on another note, I used my gps everyday all day this year on two separate birds. I used telemetry on a third female that didn’t have a track pack. When using the gps I felt no less secure flying the birds than I did with the one that had just radio telemetry. Only real difference is instead of constantly checking for a signal finding direction and getting a mental picture based on only that, to where I can find the bird, the gps just shows you. If your going one way and you think you have the bird pinned down. But for some reason it bumps as your heading to it and flies back the other way. Then throw in a bounced signal or a very weak one. It could take you a minute to actually find the bird.
    GPS on the other hand that stuff rocks. It will save you time, money and mind, no guessing.
    Wther it runs on Android or Apple it’s going to work pretty much the same. But I’m a Apple fan.

Apple or Android!!! Oh the agony!!! Please, the arguments IMHO would hilariously
    funny, if it weren't such a serious issue. Dell, Compac, Commodore, Samsung, Blackberry, Microsoft, Apple, Mac, iPad, iPhone, software, hardware blah blah blah! If you want to communicate with smoke signal from mountain peak to mountain peak...knock yourself out.
    This Marshallradio equipment is what we have wanted forever and IT'S HERE. RIGHT NOW. If Apple is making a buck or two off of me then that is just fine. So yes I drank coolaid and it was DELICIOUS. Difference being, I fly with a new level
    of comfort. These birds are to valuable, at least to me, to pass on the most effective and up to date methods of retrieval.
    When a GPS system has a transmitter that when out of GPS operating range switchs over to the most powerful transmitter that I know of.... and you folks have an issue with one piece of support technique, an Apple product, that you staunchly are opposed to then I wish you the best.
    Spare me with all of the justified reasoning. I've heard it all.
    You all had the opportunity to capsize the boat last week with an offer to good to be true. Cutting technology, Android based. The shining ray of light you needed. What happened? It really doesn't matter, because you were all to cautious to drink that coolaid. Face the music people...we're making a fresh batch of coolaid and I'm sure it won't last long.
    Allen Gardner

Quote Originally Posted by Hunner View Post
    Apple or Android!!! Oh the agony!!! Please, the arguments IMHO would hilariously
    funny, if it weren't such a serious issue. Dell, Compac, Commodore, Samsung, Blackberry, Microsoft, Apple, Mac, iPad, iPhone, software, hardware blah blah blah! If you want to communicate with smoke signal from mountain peak to mountain peak...knock yourself out.
    This Marshallradio equipment is what we have wanted forever and IT'S HERE. RIGHT NOW. If Apple is making a buck or two off of me then that is just fine. So yes I drank coolaid and it was DELICIOUS. Difference being, I fly with a new level
    of comfort. These birds are to valuable, at least to me, to pass on the most effective and up to date methods of retrieval.
    When a GPS system has a transmitter that when out of GPS operating range switchs over to the most powerful transmitter that I know of.... and you folks have an issue with one piece of support technique, an Apple product, that you staunchly are opposed to then I wish you the best.
    You all had the opportunity to capsize the boat last week with an offer to good to be true. Cutting technology, Android based. The shining ray of light you needed. What happened? It really doesn't matter, because you were all to cautious to drink that coolaid. Face the music people...we're making a fresh batch of coolaid and I'm sure it won't last long.

Damn straight Allen! Thank you!
    Paul Domski
    New Mexico, USA

I put my money where my mouth is. I bought the MRT GPS system and I will patiently wait for Aerovision Android.

Your comment is noteworthy: the MRT GPS transmitter is a powerful conventional telemetry transmitter. A great feature assuming falconers don't get lazy and forget how to use it because GPS is so easy to use like people who can't add because they own a calculator.
    Ron N1WT Vermont

Ron,
    Do you know how to use a slide rule?
    John

Quote Originally Posted by jdrmd View Post
    Ron,
    Do you know how to use a slide rule?
    Doesn't everyone? I actually own one too. Came across it a few months ago during a mandatory spouse pleasing cleaning session and though it took
    a few minutes I was actually able to make it work. I see little connection to my comments about telemetry though.

MRT retained the conventional telemetry mode as a backup for a number of reasons. Ultimately it has more range and if your Pocketlink or phone die you can use a telemetry receiver as can your falconry buddies who don't even own a GPS. My concern is that falconers will become so enamored with the convenience of the GPS that they either forget how to use "old style" telemetry, ditch their receiver or ,in the case of new falconers,
    never actually learn to use it.

My experience with human nature is that convenience works a lot like gravity and we are all drawn to the easiest way regardless of whether or not that is in our
    best interest. I include myself. Despite conscious efforts to avoid doing so I find myself giving in more often than makes me comfortable.
    Ron N1WT Vermont

Quote Originally Posted by dboyrollz76 View Post
    android sucks. It’s a open market anyone can develop a device powered by android install the firmware and rock out. Security sucks on android. Apple on the other hand is a private developer and dose not sell its firmware to the highest bidder or allow random hardware developers to use iOS. This has given Apple of the tightest security of any device. I can open, reset and get any info from a android device. You just can’t do that with Apple.
    Haters
    What is the point you are trying to make, and how does it even come close to the core point of the thread, which was to ask - politely - when Marshal is going to expand its business and support droid?

I dont hate apple, I just simply refuse to dance to their tune for some very sound reasons. Not the least of which is that I have already invested time and cash in the devices I have. The windows based tablets that the NFL uses can be dunked in a duck pond and will still function. I have one of those, and would love to use it with Aerovision (although that would involve them also supporting windows 10). No one has suggested that those of you on their ecosystem should stop. It does appear very consistent that apple also has 100% of the market share for those who violently hate all non apple products. They have had that market sewn up tightly for about 30 years.

Some of us are just asking for inclusion. Marshal can have my money just as soon as they are ready for it. All it takes is an investment in a programming tool that costs less than one GPS system and 15 minutes of their time converting their code to another platform and a bit of test/debug time - which I would be happy to help them with free of charge.

Oh, and by the way, I have 25 years+ in the industry, making money on computers. I am not a village idiot that just fell off the turnip truck. Neither is Ron. Security is not my area of specialty, but it is something I know quite a bit about. Your statements are all more myth than substance, but you are far from the only one spouting the myths. You are welcome to try and crack open my phone. I will buy you a new bird of your choice when you do it. You will be never be able to pull it off, but you would be disappointed if you were able to, as there is not anything worth snooping through kept on my phone which is of course the first rule of security.

Apple is a pretty tight ship, security wise. However, the first computer virus ever was on the apple platform. For a decade and a half Apple used to brag that no one bothered to write malware targeting their platform because there was not enough of a user base to make that worth while, and odd as that is as a marketing statement, it was largely true. Security through obscurity is the tech term for that, and it works. Most secure system I ever worked on was a 30 year old mainframe. There were about 100 systems like it running in the world at the time. Our security profile was really an open door. We had hackers get in all the time who then had no idea what to do. We used to laugh at the log traces as they tried to have fun once they got in. Happened about once a week, and none ever lasted more than 30 minutes before they got bored and shut down their session.

Anyway, as soon as apple gained a respectable market share, they got an equal portion of malware and hackers. Shows up on their stuff all the time, although Apple does a good job of keeping it quite when it happens, usually. A key example of that was not kept quiet was the huge scandle with celebrities that had their nude selfie photos stolen by hackers - that was all on apples ecosystem. Largely in their iCloud accounts, but some of that was related to phone breaches as well.

But again, that is not the point........ And Ron and I are not the only ones patiently waiting for support on our platform. I know several others.
    Geoff Hirschi - "It is better to have lightning in the fist than thunder in the mouth"

You know Al, the most effective way to retrieve your bird is to not lose track of it in the first place.

That is the method I employ. I used my receiver twice last season, apart from the preflight function test. And that was actually double my seasonal average.

Yes Geoff! I agree with the best efforts of don't loose your damn bird!! That is one, of many things, that we all agree on.
    The problem is that I fly my falcons at the farthest limits of elevation than be achieved. I offer no excuses for my preferred style. The down side is that it can be very dangerous. I prefer my falcon to be "gone" visually. It's nothing new to me except for now I know where everything is located. Me, dog, game and most importantly my falcon. Stoops from these extraordinary elevations are what I live to see. But walking the razors edge of a stoop junky can go crosswise REALLY fast. The difference now is that you can react immediately to a yet to be identified threat. The list is monumental. But instead of standing on a butte in the Palouse speculating, my game has been upped exponentially. Recovery is the name of the game because when 2 lbs is slicing earthbound from the heavens they can revise "their" flight without your consultation or approval!! No apologies here. I'm hopelessly addicted. And always looking for the next big high.
    Im sure this sounds like a dead end sort of life, but I'm afraid it's a little to late for reprogramming.
    We're on the same page, it's just that the same picture we view is perceived so very differently.
    Its all good and I really hope that the system variations that are needed by you folks comes SOON. As they say, "It's a game changer.
    Has your molt finished? Have a great season
    Allen Gardner

Im sure this sounds like a dead end sort of life, but I'm afraid it's a little to late for reprogramming.
    We're on the same page, it's just that the same picture we view is perceived so very differently.
    I am sure that most people that look at what we do think it is a dead end life but why fight it? I for one am not seeking a cure.
    Ron N1WT Vermont

Quote Originally Posted by goshawkr View Post
    What is the point you are trying to make, and how does it even come close to the core point of the thread, which was to ask - politely - when Marshal is going to expand its business and support droid?

I dont hate apple, I just simply refuse to dance to their tune for some very sound reasons. Not the least of which is that I have already invested time and cash in the devices I have. The windows based tablets that the NFL uses can be dunked in a duck pond and will still function. I have one of those, and would love to use it with Aerovision (although that would involve them also supporting windows 10). No one has suggested that those of you on their ecosystem should stop. It does appear very consistent that apple also has 100% of the market share for those who violently hate all non apple products. They have had that market sewn up tightly for about 30 years.

Some of us are just asking for inclusion. Marshal can have my money just as soon as they are ready for it. All it takes is an investment in a programming tool that costs less than one GPS system and 15 minutes of their time converting their code to another platform and a bit of test/debug time - which I would be happy to help them with free of charge.

Oh, and by the way, I have 25 years+ in the industry, making money on computers. I am not a village idiot that just fell off the turnip truck. Neither is Ron. Security is not my area of specialty, but it is something I know quite a bit about. Your statements are all more myth than substance, but you are far from the only one spouting the myths. You are welcome to try and crack open my phone. I will buy you a new bird of your choice when you do it. You will be never be able to pull it off, but you would be disappointed if you were able to, as there is not anything worth snooping through kept on my phone which is of course the first rule of security.

Apple is a pretty tight ship, security wise. However, the first computer virus ever was on the apple platform. For a decade and a half Apple used to brag that no one bothered to write malware targeting their platform because there was not enough of a user base to make that worth while, and odd as that is as a marketing statement, it was largely true. Security through obscurity is the tech term for that, and it works. Most secure system I ever worked on was a 30 year old mainframe. There were about 100 systems like it running in the world at the time. Our security profile was really an open door. We had hackers get in all the time who then had no idea what to do. We used to laugh at the log traces as they tried to have fun once they got in. Happened about once a week, and none ever lasted more than 30 minutes before they got bored and shut down their session.

Anyway, as soon as apple gained a respectable market share, they got an equal portion of malware and hackers. Shows up on their stuff all the time, although Apple does a good job of keeping it quite when it happens, usually. A key example of that was not kept quiet was the huge scandle with celebrities that had their nude selfie photos stolen by hackers - that was all on apples ecosystem. Largely in their iCloud accounts, but some of that was related to phone breaches as well.

But again, that is not the point........ And Ron and I are not the only ones patiently waiting for support on our platform. I know several others.
    FYI.. Apple's security that was compromised during "the Fappening". The hacker used social engineering through a phishing attack to get the passwords to the celebrity accounts. It was the dumb celebrities that gave him their passwords.

https://techcrunch.com/2016/03/15/pr...-apples-fault/

I just picked up my first Android device as I am using an RTL-SDR device and an Amazon Fire Tablet as my telemetry receiver. The benefit is I can track both UHF and VHF by just changing the antenna. Of course I can use a UHF antenna to track VHF, but it's not as good. My whole set up cost less than $120. I would love a GPS telemetry unit, but it's too cost prohibitive for me. Maybe some day the cost will come down enough for me to enjoy GPS tracking.

I am surprised that a solution has not been made available on Android. Hopefully they will release an app before the next Sky Trials.
    Scott Peterson

Default Android based telemetry receivers

Quote Originally Posted by Clanggedin View Post
    I just picked up my first Android device as I am using an RTL-SDR device and an Amazon Fire Tablet as my telemetry receiver. The benefit is I can track both UHF and VHF by just changing the antenna. Of course I can use a UHF antenna to track VHF, but it's not as good. My whole set up cost less than $120.
    Scott,

Brian Andrews has a posting for an RTL-SDR plus Android phone receiver solution on the Missouri Falconers Association Web site.

https://www.missourifalconersassocia...hone-receiver/

Please contribute the details of your version. The Cheap Beep thread in Telemetry would be a good place to post.

I have plans for UHF and VHF receive antennas available. They are clumsy to post but I can email them easily enough. Includes a Yagi and a Quad version that require no test gear to build, just cut to dimension and go. Details in the CBP thread. Gain for the Yagi is about 1 dB better than the old Antronics and the Quad is about 2 dB better.

With used scanner receivers getting less common on the used market I am looking at the RTL-SDR dongles as the next generation of low cost telemetry receiver solutions. Perhaps with a selective preamplifier ahead of the receiver to bring sensitivity up for the occasional long haul weak signal search. The price of commercial preamps always surprises me, given that I know how little there is in one of them. Also most of the commercial preamps have way too much gain.

Regards,
    Thomas of the Desert
    Tom Munson, Buckeye, AZ
    619-379-2656, tom@munson.us

Most people who observe what we do undoubtedly believe it to be a life in a dead end, but why fight it? Personally, I'm not looking for a cure.
    Bitlife

Quote Originally Posted by kelseyradley View Post
    Most people who observe what we do undoubtedly believe it to be a life in a dead end, but why fight it? Personally, I'm not looking for a cure.
    Bitlife
    Hi Kelsey,

Are you by chance related Boo Radley? Brother maybe?

Just curious.
    Paul Domski
    New Mexico, USA

Thread Information