Thread: Marshall GPS for Droid?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by dboyrollz76 View Post
    Then why can Apple not unlock a Locke iPhone. Even if your the original user. Geoff if you can do that theee are loads of bricked iPhones for sale. Ones with good esn that just have locked iTunes accounts. You could make bank because they are being sold cheap for parts. Because they are useless. The bad vibes you hear about Apple come from this. Pissed off consumers that have forgot their security passcode or phone pin, taking thier device to Apple thinking Apple can Help. Then getting made when they are told that they can’t. That Apple has not developed a software to crack its own encryption and override its security protocols. Doing such would compromise what Apple has done to tighten mobile security. And hose against Apples privacy policy.
    If I know one thing about technology, it’s that everything—and I mean everything—is hackable and crackable.

In regards to the original poster, I am surprised it’s taken MRT so long to develop an Android compatible app. With the success of GPS telemetry, I would’ve expected this to be a high priority for them. It’s good to hear it’s in the works though. It’ll be a great day when any phone user can link up to a GPS transmitter and find their birds.
    Aaron -- Utah

Quote Originally Posted by SkyRider View Post
    If I know one thing about technology, it’s that everything—and I mean everything—is hackable and crackable.

In regards to the original poster, I am surprised it’s taken MRT so long to develop an Android compatible app. With the success of GPS telemetry, I would’ve expected this to be a high priority for them. It’s good to hear it’s in the works though. It’ll be a great day when any phone user can link up to a GPS transmitter and find their birds.
    Remember that we are the lucky beneficiaries of the guys with the big bucks that keep companies like MRT enthusiastic about selling things to falconers. The number of falconers and disposable income here in the US is not enough to justify their huge R&D investment.

I would bet a paycheck that since it is faster to make an iOS app work they were smart and followed the carrot.

The middle eastern guys buy falconry equipment like we buy nuts and bolts- get what you need plus a handfull of spares. They wont blink about buying a seperate iPhone just for tracking their birds.
    Ron N1WT Vermont

Quote Originally Posted by rkumetz View Post
    Remember that we are the lucky beneficiaries of the guys with the big bucks that keep companies like MRT enthusiastic about selling things to falconers. The number of falconers and disposable income here in the US is not enough to justify their huge R&D investment.
    Great point Ron. I think we are very lucky to have a company like MRT, they create high quality equipment and provide excellent support!!!
    John

Quote Originally Posted by SkyRider View Post

I agree. Twenty years ago, I could have really used a GPS system, when I was flying passage eagles. They would catch a piece of air and disappear in the clouds! I encouraged them to do it! In some very rough country in Wyoming. They'd be gone for over half an hour! But they would always find me and come down. But I had no idea where they were. How high does a female Golden Eagle have to be to speck out of visibility? I probably would have paid for the necessary GPS equipment to have it. But of course it wasn't around.

Today, I'm hawking ducks with passage falcons in Kansas. I have a Droid phone. A GPS system would be nice to have. But I just want to hawk ducks. I believe in my current telemetry system.

I've been watching this thread. It's very interesting. There's a very fine, faint hint suggesting that if you want to be a real falconer, you better get the Marshall GPS system and anything and everything necessary to see it happen.

Let's hope I can come home at the end of the day with my bird. Oh, and a duck!

All my best.
    Dan McCarron
    John 3: 16

Quote Originally Posted by wyodjm View Post
    I've been watching this thread. It's very interesting. There's a very fine, faint hint suggesting that if you want to be a real falconer, you better get the Marshall GPS system and anything and everything necessary to see it happen.

Let's hope I can come home at the end of the day with my bird. Oh, and a duck!

All my best.
    Hi Dan,

I think it takes much bigger huevos to fly your bird without gps if you're in situations where you can regularly fly your falcon, eagle, or soaring RT "high and wide", or from thermals. I aspire to these kinds of flights and my birds have occasionally complied, and when they do and are out of sight for extended periods it's unnerving not knowing where my birds is and when I should flush. Last season I was out with some friends for a weekend of duck hawking, and one of them has a 9 year old peregrine that loves to thermal and with GPS we were able to "watch" her for 30 minutes as she climbed to over 3000 ft and was out about a mile, she eventually came over at around 1500' when we knew we could flush for her, she wasn't successful by the way. I really liked the peace of mind that gps offered.

I just bought a Marshall system and an iPad, my phone is a Samsung android, I don't think it makes me a real falconer, I see it more as an investment in preventative health care, if I can avoid periods during the day where my blood pressure is elevated for an extended period, then I think it's worth the investment. Just a few thoughts...
    Paul Domski
    New Mexico, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Saluqi View Post
    I don't think it makes me a real falconer, I see it more as an investment in preventative health care, if I can avoid periods during the day where my blood pressure is elevated for an extended period, then I think it's worth the investment. Just a few thoughts...
    Bingo!! Just makes the entire endeavor more enjoyable and I hunt squirrels with a red-tail.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by wyodjm View Post
    I hope I’m not contributing to that mentality. Its purely for the benefit of the entire falconry experience. It’s better, it’s easier, it’s more fun with this system because of the piece of mind it gives. And that’s after I lost a very nice gyr when the system failed. Having a dedicated iPad mini that you even buy used (less than $100?) which really doesn’t support Apple or profit them in any way is worth having that piece of mind. And it’s cheap given the 10,s of thousands of dollars we all spend on this lifestyle.
    -Jeff
    "You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." --Marco Simoncelli

Thread Information