Thread: Working towards becoming an apprentice falconer

Default Working towards becoming an apprentice falconer

Max here in Centeral Texas. I'm gradually going thrrough the process of learning what I need in terms of regulations, equipment, and know-how with the goal of becoming an apprentice falconer in the near future and acquiring my first bird (most likely a redtail hawk - they're common here, I like them, and everyone says they're probably the best raptor for a beginner to work). I've done some reading online and in books, but with no practical experience, I'm sure that some of my questions here may seem initially naive. However, I've joined the forum and a local hawking association with the hope of getting the knowledge that I need to move forward.

Welcome,

It's a process for sure. Requires a certain degree of lifestyle change. Being in Central TX you should have plenty of falconers within a hour or so drive. Ask around and see if any of them are willing to take you hunting so you can get a better feel as to what it's all about.(if you haven't already). A red tail is a good bird, powerful and robust. While you are locating a sponsor, consider where you will get your food.(raising quail and rabbit is a good source and fairly cheap to get in to).

btw, try to remember to add your name to the post, that way we know who we are speaking to.

Have a blessed day,
    ---Evan

Thank you for the friendly welcome and the advice.

I understand the level of commitment involved, which is why I'm pursuing is now as opposed to many years earlier when I had neither the time, the money, nor the discipline to do this correctly. As far as food is concerned, I have several strategies in mind. I know an relatively inexpensive supplier of feeder mice and rats (alive and frozen), as well as someone who can sell me surplus (presumably male) chicks.

My main worry at the moment (apart from finding a local sponsor to mentor me) is what to do for a mews (you and other helpful board members have mostly convinced me that an indoor mews isn't practical). I'm looking a various designs online - I'm not especially handy, so I'm trying to find something simple and foolproof with step by step instructions. Ideally, it would be one that can be readily disassembled and re-assembled (bolts rather than nails screws) if necessary.
    Max Shpak

Was a the local box store & the fork lift dropped a 10x10x10 portable building that was not constructed and they put it in discount area, I got it for $35 bucks and some change, I modified it to be 8x8x10 A frame with shingles, and built it on skids to be moved later by my loader. I cut my windows and framed out the inside with osb for a smooth surface. The weathering area simply landscape timbers 8x8x8 on 3 sides and the open side joins the mews. Use the google machine and look at images. my biggest cost was screws and a roll of wire. I made my windows sized for a Kestrel, and made my bow perch by welding some steel bar stock and wrapped it. Everything is pretty simple. While I strive for perfection, the bird won't care if its not exactly plumb.
    ---Evan

Bolts will be frickin pricey... but used in the right areas may work. Good quality anchor screws will work for assembly and disassembly. A dog pen with shade cloth and bracket hardy board around would also work...
    ---Evan

Quote Originally Posted by Lizzysdad View Post
    Bolts will be frickin pricey... but used in the right areas may work. Good quality anchor screws will work for assembly and disassembly. A dog pen with shade cloth and bracket hardy board around would also work...
    Do you mean using a dog enclosure for weathering or as a mews? I had thought of using one for weathering, the trouble is that most dog runs just aren't tall enough.
    Max Shpak

I meant using it for both. You'll need to get creative with the roof.. some 2x4 and plastic panels can make a quick roof. But I revert back to my original suggestion, your sponsor will need to approve of it.
    ---Evan

The Red-Tailed Hawk: A Complete Guide to Training and Hunting North America's Most Versatile Game Hawk
    Definitely get this book. Along with your sponsor's help, this resource has an incredible amount of info as well as plans for a mews, weathering area, and giant hood.
    William Phillips

You can use EMT conduit to put a raised roof over a kennel, easy to do. Use 2” for the peak and 3/4 for the rafters, 9 wire it together then cover with 2x4 mesh and shade cloth. I used the end of a shed as one wall but the idea is the same. It’s now lined with a simple frame and fence board for freelofting but I can pull that down to tether pretty easy.
    Lew Roussel

Quote Originally Posted by DtRooster View Post
    You can use EMT conduit to put a raised roof over a kennel, easy to do. Use 2” for the peak and 3/4 for the rafters, 9 wire it together then cover with 2x4 mesh and shade cloth. I used the end of a shed as one wall but the idea is the same. It’s now lined with a simple frame and fence board for freelofting but I can pull that down to tether pretty easy.
    Dude,

Why do you make your bird hang sideways like that? You built this all wrong...
    Geoff Hirschi - "It is better to have lightning in the fist than thunder in the mouth"
    Custom made Tail Saver Perches - http://www.myrthwood.com/TieEmHigh/

I have no idea what you are talking about. Enlighten me
    Lew Roussel

Quote Originally Posted by DtRooster View Post
    I have no idea what you are talking about. Enlighten me
    Look at your post.... your bird is hanging off the wall sideways....
    Geoff Hirschi - "It is better to have lightning in the fist than thunder in the mouth"
    Custom made Tail Saver Perches - http://www.myrthwood.com/TieEmHigh/

Thread Information