Thread: Inspiring apprentice

Default Inspiring apprentice

Hello all, im a future apprentice, living in Central texas, here to learn, i currently have a sponsor , so im in the process of building a mew and aquiring things i will need.

Who are you inspiring or was there an apprentice out there that inspired you?
    Wish you well on your journey.
    John

Thanks john, i meant inspired.

Mews.....not “mew”.
    Bill
    I have been known to approach the east...

I stand corrected!! As soon as i figure out how to edit my post, I will do so! Thanks Bill for pointing that out for me sir!

Ok so i have started my mews, its a 8' x 8' with a metal r panel exterior, it has a 5' x 4' window facing south that my weather area is going to be on wich will also be 8' x 8'.... Ok so my question is, could i use the white panels that are for shower walls for the enterior? Any help would be appreciated

I would ask my sponsor these questions, but i was told to get everything together, and he would come check it out, and if everything looked good he would sign.

I am not sure what you are referring to when you state " white panels that are for shower walls". I would try and use wood, if not some falconers in New Jersey use the plastic resin sheds, and modify to how they deem necessary.

Reference a link for the shower walls. Easy cleanup is always something to think about when building the mews.
    Alex Scolavino
    New Jersey

Hi alex, the panels im referring to, are a 4'x8' polyester resin sheet, smooth surface, that i found at my local home depot, i will try to post a link.

Quote Originally Posted by Austringertx254 View Post
    I would ask my sponsor these questions, but i was told to get everything together, and he would come check it out, and if everything looked good he would sign.
    The quote "You might want to ask your sponsor" is used a lot on this forum and in this case, you might want to ask your sponsor. If your sponsor won't give you some guidelines you might want to "Get another sponsor". Another thing to consider is getting some information from a falconer or two in your area, i.e. close to the same environmental conditions of the location your bird will be housed. If the bird is going to be free-lofted I would consider going larger than 8'x8'.

PS: have you passed the test?
    John

John, sponsor's are hard to come by, my sponsor told me to build it 4'x 8' but wanted it to be a little bigger so i made it 8'x8' mews 8'x8' weathering , he (sponsor) doesnt agree with free lofting. No i havent tested, my sponsor hast to sign before i can test.

John, sponsor's are hard to come by
    Maybe someone from Texas will chime in and give some guidance.
    John

An 8x8 will definitely be sufficient. I wouldn't suggest anything smaller in my opinion.

I tried looking it up online, but couldn't really get an idea of the polyester resin walls. Is building the mews out of wood an option? If not, as i mentioned, Home Depot and Lowe's sell plastic resin sheds. Is that something you would be interested in?

Nonetheless, you can always go the classical route and build it out of wood.
    Alex Scolavino
    New Jersey

Alex , iv allready built my mews, i framed it in 2"x 4" 's and used R panel (metal) on the exterior, i put a 4'x5' window facing south and a 2'x2' window facing east, to catch the morning sunrise, the polester resin sheets, i was asking about, was what i planned on covering the inside with, should be pretty easy to clean, the weathering area is 8'x8' also, with metal roof, metal exsterior up to 4' and 1/2 conduit the remaing 4' all the way around, with a door also, and was thinking about making the window that is 4'x 5' to slide down, but havent decided on it just yet.

Are we sure you don't mean aspiring.
    Calling oneself inspiring takes at least a dash of chutzpah.

Best Regards,
    Thomas of the Dissembling
    Tom Munson, Buckeye, AZ
    619-379-2656, tom@munson.us

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Gizmo View Post
    Calling oneself inspiring takes at least a dash of chutzpah.
    Tom,

You run with a different sort of falconers than I do if you dont think this will make him fit right in. In fact, most of the falconers I know, chutzpah could well be thought of as a required quality. Preferably a lot of it.
    Geoff Hirschi - "It is better to have lightning in the fist than thunder in the mouth"
    Custom made Tail Saver Perches - http://www.myrthwood.com/TieEmHigh/

Tom, my choice of words where a little off that day, asiring was indeed what i meant, as far as chutzpa, i beleave we all have a little, well most anyways

"Austringertx254 " who are you? Forum rules require you to sign your name.

Alex,

The plastic panels that were mentioned are very common in low end public bathrooms. They work great because they are easy to clean.

Its a very expensive way to line a mews, but would work quite well so long as they are well supported so that they dont shatter and create a sharp edge.

I would, as suggested, consult with falconers in a similar climate to you - I definately do not fit that description - but those "R" panels work just fine without any interior sheeting in most places. You do need to be very careful that none of the fasteners missed though. Hawks have an almost supernatural ability to find the one nail you missed, and take themselves out by impaling themselves on it.
    Geoff Hirschi - "It is better to have lightning in the fist than thunder in the mouth"
    Custom made Tail Saver Perches - http://www.myrthwood.com/TieEmHigh/

Im sorry, Robert Donald 111

I go bye Rob

Thanks alex, i was thinking the sheets would work out great, just wanted others opinions, as i have no experience . Rob

Ok so what i have is a 16'x16' mews and weathering in one, could i make the 4' x 5' window thats facing south into the weathering area, where it will slide down or up with a little fabrication, so my future bop can " freeloft" ?? My sponsor does not agree with free lofting, so its something i wouldnt use at the moment, thinking future wise?

Ok so i have started my mews, its a 8' x 8' with a metal r panel exterior, it has a 5' x 4' window facing south that my weather area is going to be on wich will also be 8' x 8'.... Ok so my question is, could i use the white panels that are for shower walls for the enterior? Any help would be appreciated
    If you are referring to FRP Board, it's what I used in my mews. Put them in over six years ago and they still look brand new. Mutes clean off easily. I live in east Texas, HOT and humid in the summer, gets below freezing (usually) a few days each winter. Boards seem fine with that. The inside walls in my mews are insulated, then a layer of plywood sheeting. The FRP boards are glued to the plywood. Trimmed out properly (with special trim for FRP use). No issues.
    Deb Davis
    Give every day the chance to become the most beautiful of your life. - Mark Twain

Breeze, good to hear from a fellow texan, yes thats what im referring to, and exactly how i am going to use it, the trim and all, only i didnt plan on insulating the walls, is that something that wouid be best? I have my mews situatated under a couple of trees , for shade, i literally cut out enough room to stand the walls under, one has a very old large muscadine grape growing in it, im not sure what part of east texas you live but sure we have the same weather pattern, should i insulate my mews?

Dear Geoff,

Once you said "R" Panels I knew exactly what you were referring to. I think my allergies are affecting my thinking process, as I should have known that.

Rob,

Thats great. You got it up relatively quick. Anything that provides easy cleanup is a good option. Looking forward to hearing about your apprenticeship as the season progresses.
    Alex Scolavino
    New Jersey

Breeze, good to hear from a fellow texan, yes thats what im referring to, and exactly how i am going to use it, the trim and all, only i didnt plan on insulating the walls, is that something that wouid be best? I have my mews situatated under a couple of trees , for shade, i literally cut out enough room to stand the walls under, one has a very old large muscadine grape growing in it, im not sure what part of east texas you live but sure we have the same weather pattern, should i insulate my mews?
    Don't know what your budget is, but if you can do so insulating has been a huge plus in Breeze's mews. It's located under a huge oak, so has plenty of shade, but when I walk in the mews from outside (coming in from where there is shade) it feels much cooler in the mews. Walls and ceiling are insulated - it seems to help quite a bit. My husband says he thinks it's a good 10 degrees cooler in the mews. I don't know - have never put a thermometer inside to check. But I do know it's cooler inside than out, by quite a bit. If we build a second mews (still a dream for me!), it will be insulated as well. Personally, I think it's worth it.
    Deb Davis
    Give every day the chance to become the most beautiful of your life. - Mark Twain

Where in Texas are you? I know a lot of Texas falconers. Always seek guidance from your sponsor but I’m here if you need anything. : )
    Jared Harris

Jared , i live in temple , between waco and Austin off of interstate 35. Rob

Deb , ok thank you for the advice, if it will keep it cooler, then i will definitely insulate it. Rob

Awesome looks like I’m about an hour and a half from you!
    Jared Harris

Thread Information