Thread: Hello everyone!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Hello everyone!

Little introduction of myself,

My name is Jerod and have been fascinated with birds of prey for years. Received my first book on North American Birds when I was seven and have always had a dream of one day working with a raptor. I'm currently 28 years old and am finally able to begin my life-long dream of falconry. Unfortunately, I am in the military and obviously have learned that it takes two years of apprenticeship to start. Well, I only have about a year left at my current station and so I can't start anything yet. That's why I've been doing a lot of research and found this forum website. I've been reading everything and soaking it up like a sponge and want to say that this website is a fantastic resource with a lot of great information.

I'm always looking to learn more, so if anyone has any information I would love to hear from you. Since I only have a year left, I am looking for volunteer opportunities around me that have to do with raptor recovery programs so that I can be closer to the birds and learn. Looking forward to here from you all and eventually become an active falconer in the future.

Thank you!

Jerod,
    First off thank you for your service.

Do you know where you will be after the year is up? Or even what state? If you do, you could take the exam and start looking for a sponsor before you are out. You could even start making, or purchasing, equipment now as well. Even if you don't know where you will end up, the biggest thing you should do in the next year is read, and learn all you can. I'm sure some forum members from Nebraska will chime in with offers to meet, and see their birds. If you find yourself in northern Wyoming you are welcome to see mine. Not much to see this time of year, but come September I will be back in the field hawking almost daily.
    Steve Jones - http://www.americanfalconry.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@American_Falconry
    What is best in life? "The open steppe, fleet horse, falcons at your wrist, and the wind in your hair."

Steve,

Thank you for your response. Unfortunately, I won't receive orders until January or so. I will just have to read and maybe start my equipment collection. I would love to meet some birds before leaving here though. I also just subscribed to American Falconry Magazine, so I look forward to seeing this quarters issue!

Jerod! Thank you for your service! I grew up an army brat and married a soldier, so totally understand the concept of being moved around by the military.

Reading everything you can get your hands on is a good idea. While doing this, remember the public library will special order books for you on library loan, if they don't have them on their shelves. I got a LOT of my falconry books this way, when just starting out. Read them, took notes even on some topics and have purchased a number of those that I want to have on hand, but a book or two at a time. Worked well for my budget.

Enjoy your journey into falconry - it's WELL worth all of the effort to get started.
    Deb Davis
    Give every day the chance to become the most beautiful of your life. - Mark Twain

Deb,
    Thank you! I just bought The Falconer's Apprentice just to get started. It's frustrating that I can't start for a while because I'm getting more and more excited about it. Thank you for the library tip, I will definitely use it! Do you happen to have a recommended reference book that essentially has all the terms needed for falconry so I can reference them in the books I'm reading?
    -Jerod B

Webster's Dictionary? You might also check out the glossary section at www.themodernapprentice.com - it's pretty good! Their site has a TON of good information for someone interested in getting in to falconry. Highly recommend reading and browsing the whole site.
    Deb Davis
    Give every day the chance to become the most beautiful of your life. - Mark Twain

Perfect! Thank you very much.
    -Jerod B

Thread Information