Thread: East Tennessee Educator

Default East Tennessee Educator

Hey all! I'm Danielle, and I live in the Knoxville, TN area. I've worked with birds of prey for the past four-ish years at a local rehab/educational center. Unfortunately, they're having to close their doors, and I've taken this opportunity to step up and get my educational permit to continue even a small part of their legacy. The mews is built and the papers are in, so I'm sitting with my fingers crossed that everything goes through smoothly. Although y'all are obviously focused on falconry, I joined the forums so I can hopefully learn even more about training, husbandry, and enrichment. =)
    Danielle (she/her/hers)
    East TN

Hello Danielle,

Welcome to NAFEX I wish you the best with the new rehab center. Early in the summer a friend called me because he had hawk in his yard that was unable to fly. When I arrived to check it out I was suprised to find a passage goshawk standing in his front yard. We don’t see goshawk’s in central KS or at least I don’t. I picked the bird up and took him to a local veterinarian who does not specialize in avian species. I convinced him to take some x-ray’s which I emailed to the University of Minnesota. They were very helpful and diagnosed a fractured/dislocated coracoid fracture and outlined a treatment. During this time I was searcing high and low for a raptor rehabilitation center willing to take him in. Luckily a local wildlife rehab called me back to suggest I call the local zoo. They agreed to take the bird and successfully brought him back to health. I was skeptical that he would regain full flight but they called me three months later to go along for the release. I was very happy when they opened the door to the crate and he flashed off and climbed up to the top of a cottonwood. Long story short raptor rehabilitation is a great thing and I really appreciate you’re endeavor and hope it work’s out well for you.A01B7A09-2050-4938-A95A-2CC96A38E451.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Charles Nelson
    "There are only nine meals between mankind and anarchyā€¯ Alfred Henry Lewis

What a great story, Charles! There's nothing quite like watching a bird that you've nursed back to health take to the wing again. I've had the pleasure of releasing several, and it's always a thrill. Thanks for the well wishes!
    Danielle (she/her/hers)
    East TN

Hi Danielle,

I don't know what your set up is for rehabilitation, but I would recommend getting a falconer to visit and have them check over your perching options. More often than not raptors develop bumble foot while in the care of rehabbers, and this can be avoided with better, more padded perches and proper diet. Personally I hate the long-leaf plastic mats that people use for perching surfaces, first of all it's sharp to the touch, and with time it becomes brittle and the individual blades of "grass" break off leaving an even sharper perching surface. The other thing that I recommend is getting some hoods, stress kills and hoods reduce stress immensely.
    Paul Domski
    New Mexico, USA

Thanks for your reply, Paul! I'll be doing educational work, not rehabilitation, and the bird I'm hoping to receive has been in the center's care for 8 years. Luckily, this has given me the distinct advantage of knowing what she tolerates well and what she doesn't! I have heard that about the long leaf plastic mats, so I'll be sure to steer away from them if at all possible. The perches I'm using primarily use carpet-like materials.

Hood training is one of the things I hope to do! She's not currently hood trained, so I'm hoping to pick up some pointers around here on that topic.
    Danielle (she/her/hers)
    East TN

Quote Originally Posted by Escafil_Wings View Post
    Thanks for your reply, Paul! I'll be doing educational work, not rehabilitation, and the bird I'm hoping to receive has been in the center's care for 8 years. Luckily, this has given me the distinct advantage of knowing what she tolerates well and what she doesn't! I have heard that about the long leaf plastic mats, so I'll be sure to steer away from them if at all possible. The perches I'm using primarily use carpet-like materials.

Hood training is one of the things I hope to do! She's not currently hood trained, so I'm hoping to pick up some pointers around here on that topic.
    Coco mat is my new favorite perching surface.
    Ron N1WT Vermont

Quote Originally Posted by rkumetz View Post
    Coco mat is my new favorite perching surface.
    There is a lot to be said for it, but you could not ask for a better environment for growing asper spoors if it is not kept extremely dry. Naturally, that means in my climate it is never outdoors. Ever. This is also true if you have a high ambient humidity, even without the ever present rain I have to deal with. OK, that is not quite true. It does not always rain here. Just from Sept to June.
    Geoff Hirschi - "It is better to have lightning in the fist than thunder in the mouth"
    Custom made Tail Saver Perches - http://www.myrthwood.com/TieEmHigh/

Quote Originally Posted by goshawkr View Post
    There is a lot to be said for it, but you could not ask for a better environment for growing asper spoors if it is not kept extremely dry. Naturally, that means in my climate it is never outdoors. Ever. This is also true if you have a high ambient humidity, even without the ever present rain I have to deal with. OK, that is not quite true. It does not always rain here. Just from Sept to June.
    A giant sauna that you can live in. Just like FL without lots of old people and British tourists seeking to be the only one in their town with a tan.
    Ron N1WT Vermont

I know of two people who were forced to surrender their falconry permit to get an edu permit in TN. I feel it is a very unfair policy. We were looking to move to TN 20 years ago and found out about this. So, I will stay in falconry friendly FL. And keep all of my permits that I have worked a lifetime to keep.
    Kitty Carroll -- The Hawk of May

~~ The essence of falconry is not in the flight or the kill,
    but man's relationship with his hawk --- Terance Hanbury White~~

Thread Information