Thread: Hiya--New here from the Pacific Northwest

Default Hiya--New here from the Pacific Northwest

Hi everyone~

I'm not yet an apprentice but I've made it through my self-imposed, two-year process of self-interrogation over whether I should pursue the sport or not. So now instead of just living vicariously through all of the various falconry pages on the internet and books I'm now starting to try and pull all of it together and get prepared to start lobbying for a sponsor. This site was recommended by another falconer who suggested I really bone up on housing and equipment knowledge, so here I am! Hi!

Oh yeah, I should mention that I'm really interested in micros. Where I live I could walk out my back door and hunt a small bird on English sparrows, Voles and (of course) insects. We do not have wild rabbits on the island and it's kind of a pain to shuttle over to where there are, so a kestrel just represents more hunting opportunities (as well as just being awesome little birds).

Tomi

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRaptor View Post
    Hi everyone~

I'm not yet an apprentice but I've made it through my self-imposed, two-year process of self-interrogation over whether I should pursue the sport or not. So now instead of just living vicariously through all of the various falconry pages on the internet and books I'm now starting to try and pull all of it together and get prepared to start lobbying for a sponsor. This site was recommended by another falconer who suggested I really bone up on housing and equipment knowledge, so here I am! Hi!

Oh yeah, I should mention that I'm really interested in micros. Where I live I could walk out my back door and hunt a small bird on English sparrows, Voles and (of course) insects. We do not have wild rabbits on the island and it's kind of a pain to shuttle over to where there are, so a kestrel just represents more hunting opportunities (as well as just being awesome little birds).

Tomi
    to NAFEX, Tomi! Best wishes on your adventure into falconry! Sounds like you have all ready made one very smart decision regarding "what to hunt with". It's always best to hunt with a bird matched up for the most common prey base where you live. Sounds like you plan to do that! Good luck and please keep us posted on how things go!
    Deb Davis
    Give every day the chance to become the most beautiful of your life. - Mark Twain

Thanks!

Welcome to NAFEX! As someone who has only been licensed for a year, I completely understand where you're coming from. I started going flying with a very accomplished falconer when I was 12, and I've had the bug ever since. But it took me 17 years to finally get to a place in my life where falconry was possible and pheasable with fairness to myself and the bird. You're definitely in the right place! There are some extremely knowledgeable people in this community and this is a great channel to learn from. I also flew a kestrel as my first bird last season. She was a blast.
    Chris Gibson
    NW New Mexico

Congrats on finally getting your apprenticeship started!

I've been ignoring the "bug" for three years now, but 17 would have been likely if my kids weren't finally old enough to do much on their own and I finally feel stable in my location. At first I thought I was just curious. Then I thought I'd just "read more about it". Then I thought maybe I should just join WSFA so I could get updates on when meets were happening... Then I found out that all of the meets happen exactly on the worst possible days of the years for me (the third weekend of July is the big festival on our island and also my best friend's birthday and the fall meet happens on my husband's birthday), so I figured that pretty much settled that. Well, I ended up braving hours of ferry traffic, renting a travel trailer,ditching my friends birthday and festival and managed to spend a half day at the summer's meet, which was totally worth it. I don't think I have any chance of finding a sponsor if I don't show my face, you know? Wait--what? What do you mean, "find a sponsor?? I thought you were just satisfying your curiosity??!!"

Heh. Then suddenly I finished that long hunter's education course so I could get my hunting's license. You know, just in case... *rolls eyes*

For my next trick I'm going to start making equipment "just to see what it's like"... and maybe start weight my dog in grams three times a day....

haha

Good practice for a kestrel! Haha I trapped a passage red tail a week ago and it's a completely different world. The first day he dropped 57 grams. I honestly lost my mind. It's so foreign to me to see a bird change that much in weight in a 24 hour period and be totally ok. That's half of my last bird. And the grip strength is unreal. It's definitely an adjustment!

And I think it's great that you are pursuing falconry. I was in a similar position as far as a family and being settled and stable in a location. But the wait only makes it sweeter right? I wish you nothing but the best in your pursuit!
    Chris Gibson
    NW New Mexico

Thread Information