Quote Originally Posted by rkumetz View Post
In the case of my regs (which are not great but we do have a good relationship with the state for the most part) this is what it says about inspections:
(g) Inspection. Permit applicants shall allow a representative of the Department to inspect their facilities, equipment, and raptors for compliance with permit standards. Certification of compliance shall be made by the Department before a permit may be granted. Subsequent inspections may be made at reasonable hours of the day by a representative of the Department, as deemed necessary.

I don't view that as ominous and it does not reserve the right of the state to break down my door if I am not here. I realize that there have been issues (primarily in CA) and if AFC wants to address that to help CA falconers at the request of CA falconers than that is gracious of them. If, on the other hand, AFC has decided against the wishes of CA falconers to help without asking then shame on them. If we need help with our state regulatory agency or regulations from any outside organization we will ask. Kind of odd that the state which is arguably the most left leaning in the nation wants to send the fish cops to inspect your mews in the middle of the night.
How is this for a real world scenario that happened in a state other than California.

During the time frame when the federal regs were reworked, there was a rash of inspections in several states. USFWS region 1, as an example, decided to inspect every single permittee in their borders although they were eventually shut down by their bosses.

At any rate, during this rash of inspections, in as I said a state other than Calyfornia, a falconer was visited who kept a kestrel in her spare bedroom. They insisted on coming in the house to see her facilities, and she complied. No, the door was not kicked down. No, there was not an armed goon squad pointing assualt rifles around willy nilly. Just a polite pair of officials asking to check things out. She showed them her stuff, including the bedroom where her kestrel was kept, and went about her evening.

The next day, the US DEA did show up, including an armed goon squad with assault rifles being pointed around willy nilly.

You see, the friendly polite agents from the day before had seen some drug paraphernalia laying around during their visit. Paraphernalia that were used for the falconers state issued medical marijuana. But since that medical marijuana and the paraphernalia to consume it is illegal under federal law, those polite agents gave their friends at the DEA an easy bust.

More basically, no matter how friendly or how polite those agents are, they are there for one reason and one reason only. To bust you for doing something wrong. It is already shockingly easy for them to find ways to do that.