Quote Originally Posted by rkumetz View Post
I know you are savvy enough to realize this is more about abuse of power than falconry regs.
It is indeed about abuse of power. It is about the abuse of power codified within the falconry regs.

The actual MBTA, as passed by congress, expressly prohibits the USFWS from engaging in warrantless inspections of permittees, yet their regulations require it. How is that not an abuse of power?

Winston Churchill said "If a man is 25 and not a liberal he has no heart. If he is 45 and not a conservative he has no brain".
I laugh at this quote all the time, living in the Liberal Left Coast and seeing so many brainless 45+ year olds walking around. Especially since I followed this exact evolution myself, although at a younger age of transition. But I digress......

Quote Originally Posted by qball View Post
When you buy an air line ticket you are subject to a certain set of rules and restrictions. Flying on an airline is not a right. Same with driving a car. It also is not a right and you can be subject to any number of reasons for being stopped and searched. Our permits also subject us to certain restrictions.
Flying on an airline is not a right, but access to buy an airline ticket is a right. The driving a car argument gets a little fuzzy, but only just a bit. Everyone has the right to acquire a drivers license. And everyone has the right to acquire a falconry license/permit.

As you pointed out, there are a lot of areas of modern life with restrictions tied to them. However, the constitution has set forth several restrictions that cannot and shall not be trodden upon. We are speaking about two at the moment. Various government agencies have tried to make the argument that you voluntarily relinquish rights to do an activity, and the courts have been crystal clear that this is not allowed.

Having said that, there are many on this forum who were not falconers when Operation Falcon was initiated by USFW. Many here have not had the pleasure of armed federal agent coming to search your residence for no better reason than you held a falcon on a federal permit. We should all have a healthy wariness of this agency that insists on overseeing our sport. They have proven they are capable overreach and excessive abuse of power.
I am curious what government agencies you know of that have not proven capable of overreach and excessive abuse of power.

The inspection requirements in the regulations are effectively handing this agency, with a demonstrable and recent history of overreach and abuse of their power, a loaded cocked gun and sticking your face in front of the barrel.