Thread: Hello From Pa!

Default Hello From Pa!

Good morning folks,

I recently contacted the Pennsylvania Falconry and Hawk Trust to get in touch with their apprenticeship coordinator to get the ball rolling. Getting into falconry has been something I have been tossing around for a few years now, with never actually taking the first steps to getting started. I'm passionate about the outdoors and hunting, but feel as though I need a deeper connection to nature for my own satisfaction. For this reason I have finally decided to get into falconry after some much needed thought.

Anyhow, I have contacted my local organization and am waiting to hear back from them in hopes of finding a sponsor to get things started. My schedule is busy but I feel as though I will be able to get the ball rolling to start an apprenticeship. If all goes well I plan on fully engulfing myself in a falconers lifestyle. Many falconers work busy schedules and find the time to maintain healthy relationships with their birds, and I feel that I will be able to do the same. As for now, I look forward to talking with some of you about getting started in this lifestyle and look forward to making my way along this journey. Thanks!

and best wishes in your falconry journey!
    Deb Davis
    Give every day the chance to become the most beautiful of your life. - Mark Twain

Good Morning Pennsylvania! I'm in the middle of my 2nd season, 2nd hawk in Central Illinois. I had to take my exam and begin building my mews before I was able to find a sponsor. I wasn't fond of doing it that way, starting the mews build in particular, but falconers are as sparse as bunnies where i live, so on the prompting of several falconers I had met, that's what I did. The sport requires you to be a self-starter, and if your not a risk taker, it will push you out of your comfort zone...but getting out of our comfort zone is really where we all grow and learn new things....but you may have to suffer through some grinding disappointment, along with some of the most satisfying moments of your life....falconry will give you both. I almost didn't come back for my 2nd season as the 1st ended in the worst way, but you know what?? The hawks are beyond amazing, and being able to learn from them and integrate into what they naturally do, it will amaze you and thrill you...beyond words.
    I only average 2-3 hunts a week on my life's schedule. Some will tell you that isn't enough. My hawk is killing something 75% of the time we go out so she really isn't griping. Some day if I live to retire i will get in the field 5 times a week. The main thing is you have to fly and hunt your hawk..that's falconry; and your hawk will require much daily attention; you can do both!
    Get started, and get going...and, I'll say it before someone else does, please sign at least your 1st name on your posts so we can get to know you by name...it's a rule...good luck!!
    scott heberer
    scott heberer
    ..."they will soar on wings like eagles.."

Welcome to Nafex Steve. I seen your inquiry come through the website and I'm sure Brian, the acting apprentice coordinator, will be in touch soon. The board has been busy with the just wrapped up annual field meet. Did you attend the meet at all by chance?

In the meantime enjoy reading and learning. I occasionally hunt at a family members farm in Newport but other than that i'm a good bit east of you. Good luck in your endeavor.
    Gregory E. Miller
    "Hunt hard, kill swiftly, waste nothing, offer no apologies." - Teddy Moritz/Unknown Origin

Hey Greg, I have been working on making connections in our area for places to find game to hunt, as well as finding fellow falconers to link up with to get the ball rolling. I have talked to Brian and a couple other individuals who are North of here so far. Thanks for the welcome as i'm sure i'll be keeping in touch with you as time goes on.

Keep the connections and make more. Best of luck in your journey. This is a sport of greatness and tragedy. Be prepared for both and give back when you become a seasoned falconer.
    ��
    William
    William Phillips

Thread Information