Quote Originally Posted by ericedw View Post
I'm not arguing whether it violates my 1st amendment rights or not, I'm not a lawyer or more importantly a judge, but in FL this isn't true. Part of the issue here is we all operate under slightly different rules in our particular state. In FL I am not allowed to take my bird to a school, boy scout troop or anywhere without a separate "Wildlife Exhibition" permit. Whether I'm getting paid or doing it for free. I have to buy a $50 permit. I don't know CA laws either. I know the federal rules allow it but that doesn't matter if the state doesn't.
As it turns out, I very recently had some discussions with a law professor who seems to differ with PLF on the matter.
Now you and I know that lawyers fatten their retirement accounts by arguing things until the cow comes home so that in itself is not surprising.
It is really too bad that my daughter wasn't being paid to disagree when she was a teenager because that would have paid for college.

The 1st amendment issue hinges upon whether or not it is your free speech that is being squashed. In this case, it is not. What is not permitted is the use of your bird held on a falconry permit which
does not (in your state) allow you to use that bird for purposes other than falconry. You can stand behind a podium, on a soap box or dangle from a trapeze by your knees and TALK about falconry
if you don't bring your bird.

Of course in a practical sense your state is shooting itself in the foot because any time they can get someone to go out and get the general population enthusiastic
about wildlife it is in their own best interest. I disagree with their policy but it is reaching to say that it infringes upon your 1st amendment rights.