Thread: Hopeful seeking sponsor in/around Orlando, FL.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Hopeful seeking sponsor in/around Orlando, FL.

Hello, everyone.

I'm AJ. I'm 29 years old and I've been interested in falconry since 2013 (I know, not that long, but...) Anyway, no one I knew was into it, and frankly at the time I wasn't prepared for what I later learned is a VERY time-consuming, long-term lifestyle choice, and not just an expensive hobby. Well, here we are years later and I have some experience (thanks to a serendipitous meet-up online with a local falconer), including trapping, manning, training, and a lot in between, I'm finally in a place where I'd like to start the process of pursuing this dream I never really let go of for myself, instead of working with someone else's birds.

I'm looking for someone in or near Orlando, FL who would be willing to take me on as an apprentice. I'm passionate about this lifestyle, and I've already put in some of the money and work to chasing this hopefully soon-to-be reality. I have land where I can build a mews, a lot of the equipment, including anklets for both a red-tail and a red shoulder, jesses, leashes, and an old perch, which I've acquired during the two years I spent working with the aforementioned falconer's birds.

If you are willing, please let me know. If you know anyone, or any other sites/forums/locations where I might be able to ask around too, I'd also welcome that.

Thank you in advance.

Hello! I have no dog in this hunt, so to speak, as I don't live in or really even near Florida, but am confused by your post! If you have some experience ". . . including trapping, manning, training, and a lot in between" with a local falconer - why are you seeking a sponsor? Would seem the falconer you have been working with all along is an obvious choice as your sponsor. Have you recently moved or something? Just curious! Wish you well in your entry into the great sport of falconry.
    Deb Davis
    Give every day the chance to become the most beautiful of your life. - Mark Twain

Equipment for a Red-Shoulder....maybe it will come in handy at some point in the future. Sounds like you already have a lot of ideas about how you are going to do things. I agree with Deb, maybe you should get your 'local falconer' as a sponsor.

Good luck oh______.
    John

Not sure who the local falconer is that's been helping you, but that sounds like someone you should be asking? Also not sure how you have experience trapping, unless you watched someone else do it, since you can't do that without a permit etc.

Otherwise, check out the FL gamehawkers group on FB, and the webpage (which has a link to the fb group). That should get you in touch with more people in your area. There are a number of falconers in the Orlando area. http://flgamehawkers.com/

Also you'll want to sign your posts with your name, that's part of the forum rules.
    ~Lindsay Wheeler
    Falconry Art

Thread Information