Thread: Newish Here

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Newish Here

I have been lurking here for a little while and I figured I would introduce myself. I am pre-apprentice and submitted all of my paperwork 3 weeks ago (still waiting on a response). I became interested in falconry after helping my friend (now sponsor) flush game for his Harris hawk. I spent the last half of the season hunting with him whenever I could and became hooked! I have been an upland game hunter since legally able to and bow hunted white tail for quite a few years. Falconry seems like a whole new level of interaction with nature and I look forward to earning my license.
    Brent

Welcome Brent, I'm sure you'll enjoy the coming season even better than the past.
    Keith Sprague
    Enthusiast of Avian and Nonavian reptiles

Welcome Brent, your background sounds similar to mine. I was warned when I started that I might find my passion (and time) for bowhunting wane once I start down the path of falconry. I didn't think that would be the case for me, but over time I definitely found that to be true. It's a tradeoff that I'd gladly make again though, and I still get out with the stick and string, just not nearly as much.

Good luck!
    Anthony Scott - Apprentice -"My Lord Protector's hawks do tower so well; They know their master loves to be aloft And bears his thoughts above his falcon's pitch.”

Yeah I used to hunt waterfowl or big game either on my own tag or guiding every weekend from September to January. But last season, I went twice. And don't regret it one bit! I do still gun hunt but not nearly as seriously as I used to.
    Chris Gibson
    NW New Mexico

Thanks for the welcome. I typically would bow hunt every weekend between October 15th and January 18th, a few years ago the city put nature trails along my property and significantly decreased the white tail traffic during hunting hours. The last couple seasons I haven't even put up a stand. That left me with pheasant hunting and a lot of downtime during the fall and winter. We have plenty of squirrels and rabbits around and falconry looks like a great way to spend the hunting and off seasons.
    Brent

Pokemon Infinite Fusion
    Quote Originally Posted by BSolar View Post
    Thanks for the welcome. I typically would bow hunt every weekend between October 15th and January 18th, a few years ago the city put nature trails along my property and significantly decreased the white tail traffic during hunting hours. The last couple seasons I haven't even put up a stand. That left me with pheasant hunting and a lot of downtime during the fall and winter. We have plenty of squirrels and rabbits around and falconry looks like a great way to spend the hunting and off seasons.
    Now it's even more difficult

Thread Information