Thread: Marshall Dog Collars

Default Marshall Dog Collars

Just wondering how many folks are still using 216-220 telemetry and how many have switched to GPS and 433-434? And when Marshall will start making dog collars in 433-434? The reason I ask is about a month ago, our 2 DD's went missing. We let them roam the woods of our 150 acre mtn place in VA and they usually never go too far and always come back when called. Well, they were let out and then didn't come back when called as it sometimes takes them a while and we had to go somewhere so we figured they would make their way back as they always did but while we were gone, there was a downpour of rain so I think they weren't able to follow their scent back. They were gone and we put up lost dogs on message boards and created a group txt of all the folks in the area and 2 days later were spotted and I was able to go to the area they were spotted and called them in. This got me researching putting telemetry on them while they are up there and I immediately went to Marshalls website to see about ordering a couple collars only to find they only came in 216 or 217. I contacted them and they said they don't yet make them in 433 or 434. I upgraded to GPS and 433-434 so no longer have a receiver in the 216-217 range. I ended up buying this cheap system called MarcoPolo which works but not as well as what I really want. So how many folks would like for Marshall to start making their dog collars in 433-434 or do folks use other systems like Garmin?
    Fred
    "Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

I’ve got a couple buddies that use the garmin alpha. Ecollar and gps in one. I dont have any personal experience other then out with them. Two shorthairs and a wirehair. The wirehair had huge range and I wouldn’t even let him out of the truck without that collar. It’s nice to see where your dog is working out in front of you and when it goes on point in heavy cover as is so often in pheasant country. I’ve never felt the need for one with my dog but when I hunted rabbits in big timber I always zip tied a leg mount transmitter to her collar. If she hit a fresh track line she could range out a good ways. It would be nice to have a uhf gps collar that works with aero vision. I kinda thought that was the purpose of the multi transmitter update. I doubt they will release an e collar as part of it so the garmin is still more appealing to me.

Glad you got your pups back kinda made me feel sick when I first started reading this. My dog is like my kid I’d probably be a nervous wreck. Brought back memories when I was a kid hunting rabbits over beagles. I remember loosing one and the guy I was with took his coat off and tossed it on the ground. We went back the next morning and his dog was laying on the coat covered in snow.
    Jason N

We use the alphas on bear and lion dogs. Mile after mile rain snow or shine they do amazingly well.
    Chris Gibson
    NW New Mexico

I would be surprised to see Marshall do a GPS dog product. It doesn't make business sense.
    Some years ago I talked with Wildlife Materials about plans to do GPS dog collars. By then Garmin was entering that market. They had no plans to do dog GPS based on the idea that any time they wanted to Garmin could slam all the other makers to the wall on price.

Secondly our access to Marshall grade falconry telemetry rides on the coat tails of the Persian Gulf market. Until HRH Shiek (pick one) decides he needs a couple hundred dog collars it's not going to happen.

Check up on TinyLoc if you need a GPS alternative to Garmin.

Regards,
    Thomas of the Disappointments

P.S.: I have a personal connection with a source of simple 433 and 434 MHz beep transmitters that are compatible with Marshall beep receivers. Note: You are on your own for the collar.
    Tom Munson, Buckeye, AZ
    619-379-2656, tom@munson.us

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Gizmo View Post
    I would be surprised to see Marshall do a GPS dog product.

I must have worded my question incorrectly as I didn't mean if Marshall would ever make GPS collars, I meant if they would ever make them in 433 or 434 frequency instead of 216-217. I am not looking for GPS collars, just something I can track my dogs with. And you do know that the GPS transmitters are also in a 433 or 434 frequency Tom? LOL
    Fred

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Gizmo View Post

P.S.: I have a personal connection with a source of simple 433 and 434 MHz beep transmitters that are compatible with Marshall beep receivers. Note: You are on your own for the collar.
    Could you have your connection make a couple 434 transmitters and incase them in some type of velco wrap (see the MarcoPolo product I mentioned in my original post) that I can attach to a couple collars? If I go to the NAFA meet, you can introduce me to your connection and I will buy them off of him! LOL
    Fred

I still use 216 dog collars. I also use 216 backup transmitters on my birds. Never bought a 433 receiver when I got the GPS system. Didn’t really see the need.

I recently purchased a second GPS transmitter that I will use on my dog when hunting upland game. When I’m duck hawking I will use it on my second bird, so I can have them both ready to go at a moments notice. I’ve only used it on the dog a couple of times so far, but so far I like it. I asked Marshal about GPS dog collars. They said they are working on one, but it will be a while before it’s out. Definitely not this season. I didn’t ask about traditional dog collars in 433, so I don’t know if that’s in the works. You might give them a call, and ask if they plan to ever make them. They might not. They might figure there wouldn’t be a market once they have a GPS dog collar.
    Steve Jones - http://www.americanfalconry.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@American_Falconry
    What is best in life? "The open steppe, fleet horse, falcons at your wrist, and the wind in your hair."

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Jones View Post
    I still use 216 dog collars. I also use 216 backup transmitters on my birds. Never bought a 433 receiver when I got the GPS system. Didn’t really see the need.

I recently purchased a second GPS transmitter that I will use on my dog when hunting upland game. When I’m duck hawking I will use it on my second bird, so I can have them both ready to go at a moments notice. I’ve only used it on the dog a couple of times so far, but so far I like it. I asked Marshal about GPS dog collars. They said they are working on one, but it will be a while before it’s out. Definitely not this season. I didn’t ask about traditional dog collars in 433, so I don’t know if that’s in the works. You might give them a call, and ask if they plan to ever make them. They might not. They might figure there wouldn’t be a market once they have a GPS dog collar.
    Hey Steve, I did call them and all they told me was they didn't make them in 433 or 434. I bought several 434 Micro transmitters that I use on birds that I don't use my GPS transmitter on(red-tail, coops, etc.). I just don't see the need for GPS on certain birds as the chance of them getting too far away like a falcon are very slim. And since I bought the 434 Micro's, I bought the receiver that does 433 and 434. I was just wondering how many other falconers have switched to 433 or 434 transmitters and if there was a lot, it just seems like it would benefit them and Marshall to be able to get collars in the same frequency since they already have the receiver. I know it would for me. I know there are plenty of other systems for dogs but it just makes sense to me to combine the systems through Marshall and have everything you use to hunt with all together.
    Fred

Quote Originally Posted by FredFogg View Post
    Hey Steve, I did call them and all they told me was they didn't make them in 433 or 434. I bought several 434 Micro transmitters that I use on birds that I don't use my GPS transmitter on(red-tail, coops, etc.). I just don't see the need for GPS on certain birds as the chance of them getting too far away like a falcon are very slim. And since I bought the 434 Micro's, I bought the receiver that does 433 and 434. I was just wondering how many other falconers have switched to 433 or 434 transmitters and if there was a lot, it just seems like it would benefit them and Marshall to be able to get collars in the same frequency since they already have the receiver. I know it would for me. I know there are plenty of other systems for dogs but it just makes sense to me to combine the systems through Marshall and have everything you use to hunt with all together.
    I know you called them and asked if they have them. You stated that in your first post. What I was suggesting is to call them and ask if they plan to ever have them.
    Steve Jones - http://www.americanfalconry.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@American_Falconry
    What is best in life? "The open steppe, fleet horse, falcons at your wrist, and the wind in your hair."

I would if they made one in 433 and if it were sized so I could use them with my small flushing dogs.

Although the things I would buy from Marshall barely rate on their radar. They are chasing down much bigger pockets than I have.
    Geoff Hirschi - "It is better to have lightning in the fist than thunder in the mouth"
    Custom made Tail Saver Perches - http://www.myrthwood.com/TieEmHigh/

Just wondering how many folks are still using 216-220 telemetry and how many have switched to GPS and 433-434? And when Marshall will start making dog collars in 433-434? The reason I ask is about a month ago, our 2 DD's went missing. We let them roam the woods of our 150 acre mtn place in VA and they usually never go too far and always come back when called. Well, they were let out and then didn't come back when called as it sometimes takes them a while and we had to go somewhere so we figured they would make their way back as they always did but while we were gone, there was a downpour of rain so I think they weren't able to follow their scent back. They were gone and we put up lost dogs on message boards and created a group txt of all the folks in the area and 2 days later were spotted and I was able to go to the area they were spotted and called them in. This got me researching putting telemetry on them while they are up there and I immediately went to Marshalls website to see about ordering a couple collars only to find they only came in 216 or 217. I contacted them and they said they don't yet make them in 433 or 434. I upgraded to GPS and 433-434 so no longer have a receiver in the 216-217 range. I ended up buying this cheap system called MarcoPolo which works but not as well as what I really want. So how many folks would like for Marshall to start making their dog collars in 433-434 or do folks use other systems like Garmin?
    I’ve been on garmin alpha gps for all my dogs for 5 years now, I can’t imagine using anything else. Worth every penny, especially in the situation you describe, that’s exactly what GPS is made to resolve.
    -Jeff
    "You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." --Marco Simoncelli

Quote Originally Posted by goshawkr View Post
    I would if they made one in 433 and if it were sized so I could use them with my small flushing dogs.
    Although the things I would buy from Marshall barely rate on their radar. They are chasing down much bigger pockets than I have.
    If you sell the idea as "making a withdrawal far exceeding your bank balance" then robbing a bank sounds a lot more acceptable.
    Ron N1WT Vermont

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Jones View Post
    I know you called them and asked if they have them. You stated that in your first post. What I was suggesting is to call them and ask if they plan to ever have them.
    One of the problems with a company giving away their plans to make a new better version of something is that it tends to cause people who would have purchased the current product to wait which sort of dries up R&D funding. I am sure that MRT is still selling 216-219 dog collars to people who like them. Probably not as many as before Garmin and others introduced the GPS collars
    but I doubt that the orders have totally dried up. We have agreed at my company to NEVER discuss new products before they are ready to take orders unless they are so different from current products as to be no threat to sales.
    Ron N1WT Vermont

Quote Originally Posted by rkumetz View Post
    One of the problems with a company giving away their plans to make a new better version of something is that it tends to cause people who would have purchased the current product to wait which sort of dries up R&D funding.
    Ten years ago I went to Marshall and asked among other things if they were working on a GPS based falconry product. I was told "We are keeping a close eye on the possibilities.". As I left a team of UBLOX guys came in the door. I considered it good business ethics at the time to pass along the "close eye on the possibilities" and not mention the UBLOX boys.

The classic Silicon Valley blunder was Osborne Computer. They were a major player in the lugable computer market. They announced plans for a new, better computer. Sales (and cash flow) dried up. By the time the new design was ready Osborne was dust in the wind.

Regards,
    Thomas of the Digital Disasters
    Tom Munson, Buckeye, AZ

Could you have your connection make a couple 434 transmitters and incase them in some type of velco wrap (see the MarcoPolo product I mentioned in my original post) that I can attach to a couple collars? If I go to the NAFA meet, you can introduce me to your connection and I will buy them off of him! LOL
    Fred,

No problem. Transmitter $30. NRE to first article on the little ballistic nylon case $1,030. Nylon cases $20 per for further copies (minimum order 100 pieces).

More economical would be a CBP transmitter at $30, put a few holes in your existing collar and fasten the transmitter to it with half a dozen small zip ties. The flat form factor makes it easy to do. Equally a Marshall UHF Scout with a leg mount loop on the case is flat form factor and would work just fine with a few zip ties, and you wouldn't need to undo the zip tie at the bewit loop to change the battery.

And about my suggestion to check on TinyLoc. They have 433-434 MHz "Minihond" collars for E75 vat incl. (Oops, they are out of stock just now). Uses two AAA batteries. The 430-439 MHz beep receiver is E450 vat incl.(supposedly in stock). Great form factor for someone who wants to carry a receiver in the field when working a shortwing in heavy cover.

Regards,
    Thomas of the Detachments
    Tom Munson, Buckeye, AZ

Fred, a UHF Scout transmitter attached to your favorite dog collar with heat shrink works great. A friend in Nebraska turned me on to doing it this way. You can apply heat shrink in 2 pieces—-1 over the first half of the antenna and 1 over the body of the transmitter. Simply cut off the piece over the transmitter when you need new batteries and replace. Marshall will eventually have UHF dog collars but not anytime soon.
    Tim Sullivan, DVM

When I use a bird transmitter on a dog I slide a 6 inch long piece of bicycle inner tube over the collar and transmitter to protect the transmitter and keep it snug to the collar.

Sounds like a clone of Steve's and Tim's ideas might be ideal. Cable tie the bewit loop of the Tx to the collar and heat shrink the antenna. Then use a piece of innertube over the transmitter to protect it but allow changing of the battery without cutting off any heat shrink.
    Ron N1WT Vermont

I was using a 216 Marshall collar on my shorthair and got tired of waiting so I ended up switching to a Garmin Alpha. It would have been nice to run my birds and dogs on the same system but I definitely like all the features that the Alpha has to offer. Hopefully one day they get one made up.

Quote Originally Posted by JRedig View Post
    I’ve been on garmin alpha gps for all my dogs for 5 years now, I can’t imagine using anything else. Worth every penny, especially in the situation you describe, that’s exactly what GPS is made to resolve.
    Which system Jeff? Alpha 100 TT15?
    Fred

Which system Jeff? Alpha 100 TT15?
    yep
    -Jeff
    "You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." --Marco Simoncelli

Hey Fred.

I got a cabelas CC and charged everything for a year. Was able to get it for $100 out of pocket
    Jeremy

Its crazy the amount of gear we all cary now.. I remember I used to just have a glove some tidbits and bells on my RT...not anymore, I am loaded down with all kinds of shit. Jesus we are like equipment nerds
    Chris Lynn
    -Owner and Admin of NAFEX.net.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris L. View Post
    Its crazy the amount of gear we all cary now.. I remember I used to just have a glove some tidbits and bells on my RT...not anymore, I am loaded down with all kinds of shit. Jesus we are like equipment nerds
    Hence, my hope that some day Marshall will make collars that work with our GPS systems or just with our UHF receivers! I try to narrow down all the crap I carry but man it is tough. In the process of selling my house in Winston-Salem since I live in Greensboro and moved a truck load to a storage site that was 90 % falconry crap or quail raising stuff I have accumulated over the years. Nothing like a move to make you throw away stuff! LOL
    Fred

... and moved a truck load to a storage site that was 90 % falconry crap or quail raising stuff I have accumulated over the years. Nothing like a move to make you throw away stuff! LOL
    Everyone should move every 5 years or so to get an appreciation of all the junk that they collect.
    Geoff Hirschi - "It is better to have lightning in the fist than thunder in the mouth"
    Custom made Tail Saver Perches - http://www.myrthwood.com/TieEmHigh/

Quote Originally Posted by goshawkr View Post
    Everyone should move every 5 years or so to get an appreciation of all the junk that they collect.
    Too bad you can't just move the stuff you really need and leave the rest behind.
    Ron N1WT Vermont

My next door neighbor did.
    A divorce, a bankruptcy and planning to just turn in the keys. I paid off his VA loan and took the house as is, where is, take what you want- leave what you don't.
    He left with his VA loan eligibility intact, I got a great price on a house.
    Win-Win!

Regards,
    Thomas of the Deals
    Tom Munson, Buckeye, AZ

Thread Information