Quote Originally Posted by davids View Post
Hi Chi
Yes it was quite interesting and I have implemented a few things that I noted on it such as I always take the hawk to the fields to feed her and she has got to work for her meal.
No more feeding around the mews. [Though I'll have to figure out what to do during the moult.]
Thanks again for your help.
There are a few work arounds to that.

1) when up for the molt, her weight will be higher and she wont be as willing to go to war over food.

2) as you build up trust with her during the hunting season, she will not feel the need to defend her prize as intently.

3) you can train her to show some manners at home fairly easily. For example, my I have a goshawk who is freelofted that had some real serious aggression episodes during her first season. When I go to feed her, I patiently wait by the food portal until she is sitting on a perch on the other side of her chamber. In the begining, this took a lot of patience but now that she knows the game if she sees food in my hands she is usually headed over to her "Wait here to be fed" spot.

Some other answers that some friends of mine use is to just never feed at home. They will go for daily walks even during the molt and stop and have a feeding sessions somewhere. This has the added benifit of forcing them to get off their ass at least once a day.