Thread: New Redtailer

Default New Redtailer

Hi All,
    Thought I would introduce myself as I hope to learn and share on the forum. I'm a general in Massachussetts, though I consider myself a lifelong apprentice. I have only flown redtails as they suit our terrain and game. I live on the seacoast of the northshore where we have abundant squirrels, a steady source of pheasent and not as many rabbits as they have south of Boston.
    I am flying a PFRT trapped weight 1334. Had her for two months and she just took a nice rooster pheasent (in addition to a neighbors chicken Hoping to pick all of your brains for support as I attempt to train my bird. This forum is an incredible source of support and wisdom-hoping to make some new acquaintaces and become a better falconer in the process.
    Jim

Awesome; wish we had some pheasant that I could turn my girl onto, have a great season!
    scott heberer
    ..."they will soar on wings like eagles.."

My sponsors bird (Female Harris Hawk) has gone after a few chickens as well. Unfortunately, once they learn how to get an easy meal, it's hard to get them to stop. I wish we had some pheasant down here as well. Good luck.
    Gabriel Garza, South Texas
    Check out my falconry whistles! www.falconrywhistle.com On Facebook too.

hello. actually my first post right here. just been lurking for a month or so hear and there. Anyways just thought ide say hello. I live in Needham and I just passed my test alittle while back and building my first mews as we speak!

Quote Originally Posted by jpendoley View Post
    Hi All,
    Thought I would introduce myself as I hope to learn and share on the forum. I'm a general in Massachussetts, though I consider myself a lifelong apprentice. I have only flown redtails as they suit our terrain and game. I live on the seacoast of the northshore where we have abundant squirrels, a steady source of pheasent and not as many rabbits as they have south of Boston.
    I am flying a PFRT trapped weight 1334. Had her for two months and she just took a nice rooster pheasent (in addition to a neighbors chicken Hoping to pick all of your brains for support as I attempt to train my bird. This forum is an incredible source of support and wisdom-hoping to make some new acquaintaces and become a better falconer in the process.
    Jim
    No predator with a functional brain is going to pass up a chicken dinner. They are slow, not very predator savvy, don't put up much of a fight AND taste yummy. 😁
    Ron N1WT Vermont

It does not sound to me as if your RT needs much other then more hunting, and less time in proximity to Chickens.
    RT's capacity for learning the easy way, can make them moderately effective on Pheasent.
    A second year bird I had would just keep following it (losing ground all the way) until it put in.
    She would then stay near, which kept it from running.The dog and I would arrive and jump it again.
    A couple of reflushes and a rooster may decide to fight it out on the ground. That never turned out to be a wise decision.
    The Hens were much harder to reflush preferring to lay (very)low.
    Wm, (Bill) Maguire

Thread Information