Quote Originally Posted by Montucky View Post
No those species are not allowed - but a series of revisions are actually being considered by the Commission in a couple of weeks involving liberalizing the wild peregrine permitting process, expanding prairie falcon permitting (statewide), allowing general class falconers access to wild peregrines (it was master only for some reason - Oregon falconers wanted that when take opened which was unfortunate) ....and allowing harriers for falconry.

The section you are referring lists the various species open for wild take - then also lists the sideboards for species "held". IN other words its a sort of confusing combination of what you can trap in Oregon, plus what you can legally hold as a falconer in Oregon (transfers from others for example)

As for the harrier - it is a viable falconry bird with a limited but notable history of use. Fran Hamerstrom flew them and one of her apprentices or biologists helpers apparently flew one or two imprint females and caught ducks on the rise with them. That is from a solid source. They are capable of a lot more than folks realize. Of all the years of prairie chicken leks observations by Fran - the only raptor she recorded successfully capturing a prairie chicken at the lek - was a harrier. They are not going to be much good after a sort burst of speed on birds etc, but they have tools that are surprisingly effective. i have trained and flown one that was a non-releasable bird trapped at a snowy plover sight...it didnt man easily but was flying across the room to my garnished glove 10 minutes out of the crate. IT was an adult male transferred as an education bird. I see their use in falconry in some ways as a nod to history, to Fran, and a cool way to learn more about a unique raptor. Of course the larger version is a falconry staple in New Zealand.

Make sure you are a member of OFA and dont hesitate to address such questions to your regional Director who will be able to get you good info. The club had voted on a number of rule changes over the last few years, and the current batch of rules about to be voted on by the Commission are a reflection of those votes. Ferruginous take was also one of them - but we didnt convince them of that one on this go-round.
Thanks for that detailed info John. My in-laws live in the Bend area. My wife and I try to head over there every couple months to see them. The only thing that I am confused about is why go through the trouble of putting in a note about allowing native species in the 3rd subsection under OAR 635-055-0030 if falconers are not allowed to use any of those indigenous species (regardless of whether or not people classify them as good or bad falconry birds)? Is there a list of Lawfully-held captive-bred raptors that are permitted at the general and master classes?