Thread: Newbie from FL, seeks friends and education.

Default Newbie from FL, seeks friends and education.

Good morning, everyone!
    My name is Megan but I go by René. I'm a total newbie gal at 32 years old and currently residing in the good ol' Sunshine State (FL), specifically in a little joint called Pinellas Park. I have always had a secret love for falconry since I was roaming the country side woodlands of southern IL as a child. For as long as I can remember, I've been the outdoors one of my family.

I realized not too long ago that I've been struggling to find the proper channels to educate myself on how to get involved in falconry here!

That being said, here's what I do know:
    I have researched and read documentation from FWC in regards to falconry and licensing.
    I am seeking a hunting license for FL.
    I've been pouring myself over information on the Florida Hawking Fraternity and the Florida Falconers' Association, which is how I ended up here.
    I've been researching equipment and books.
    I have interacted with a variety of bird species (from doves to macaws) and cared for them but I have only handled a raptor at a educational show. I would like to note that I'm not squeamish when I come to cutting up frozen birds or rodents, as I both cared for and keep various reptiles and I raw feed my two ferrets.

With that in mind, are there any active falconers near me? And yes, I'm willing to drive. I would also like to note that Pinellas Park is not where I plan to stay living and am seeking to move towards Spring Hill before I ever get my first bird. However, I understand the educational process could easily take 3-5 years and I would rather be prepared as much as possible before owning.

Thank you!

Sounds like you’re further along than most in terms of preparation. Dunno Florida at all. 3-5 years of education before getting started is quite the conservative guesstimate. If you have space for a mews and meet a good, engaged sponsor, there is no reason you couldn’t be flying a bird this coming autumn. Though, many prefer you spend a season with some time in the field learning before signing your papers so you’d be looking at season after this coming.

Good luck.

Mike

Thank you for the positive reply, Mike! I personally don't like to engage with wild/exotic species until I know I can tend to them without putting the animal at high risk due to ignorance. At my former job (I left for a better opportunity), I was the only one capable of daily feeding, cleaning, and socializing with a very large and heavy (easily 25lbs or more) monitor who engaged so positively with me that even a year later, when she injured herself due to altering of her enclosure? I was called to give verbal assist on how to actually keep her from ripping off someone's fingers!

So, I just really believe animals deserve our respect and I know dealing with any intelligent bird means running the risk of bad injury if you're not knowledgeable in what you're doing. I worked with a aggressive Electus who nearly punched a hole through a overly obnoxious co-worker that didn't listen when I said "Hey, he doesn't feel comfortable with men yet and is mouthy, so please don't try to engage him when I'm not here".

Obviously I've made mistakes plenty of times as well but with falconry, I would rather err on the side of caution and education myself as much as I can before ever getting to the point of trapping my own bird.

Hi Rene,Spring hill is like the pigeon capitol of the state.I know a few falconers that live near there.Come the fall you'll be able to go hunting with several of them.PM me and I'll give you my number and contact info for a couple of them.There is a raptor rehab facility in Apopka you could volunteer at in the mean while that could help give you experience handling Raptors.
    Robert Miller

Orlando, FL

Robert,
    I sent you a PM and I thank you for the suggestion! I know where I'm currently at (Pinellas Park), I've never run into anyone involved in falconry. The only local bird rescue I know of is basically hands off care unless you're on the payroll so I didn't get involved. I guess everything falconry friendly is at least 2 hours from me.

Falconry is definitely a journey enjoy !!
    KT Topash. Wesley Chapel, FL
    never walk in another man shoes. Make your own path in life!

Thank you, KT! I plan to enjoy every minute! I'm super excited because my California Hawking Club Apprentice Study Guide is coming in the mail.
    René M.

If you study that book you will pass there is only one difference between CA falconry and ours is we can fly merlins as apprentice and not kestrels.

Thank you, KT. I'm also trying to score some other books on caring for my first bird so I don't walk into it blind. I have a list but hopefully (the one I really want) I can find for less than the $500 Amazon list price.
    René M.

Quote Originally Posted by Rene View Post
    My name is Megan but I go by René.
    Welcome!

FYI I am pretty sure if you are in the witness protection program you are not supposed to tell people your old name.
    Ron N1WT Vermont

Quote Originally Posted by rkumetz View Post
    Welcome!

FYI I am pretty sure if you are in the witness protection program you are not supposed to tell people your old name.
    I think that would make it Witless protection program
    Robert Miller

Orlando, FL

Thank you, KT. I'm also trying to score some other books on caring for my first bird so I don't walk into it blind. I have a list but hopefully (the one I really want) I can find for less than the $500 Amazon list price.

What books are you looking to get.? There isn’t a book that is that much ouch. I’ve got the pdf file for raptor Health care

Quote Originally Posted by Tyme2fly View Post
    What books are you looking to get.? There isn’t a book that is that much ouch. I’ve got the pdf file for raptor Health care
    Copies of Desert Hawking (the first one) are listed for that on some antiquarian book websites but what they actually sell for is a different matter.

There are few books of use to a pre-apprentice who is not a book collector that are more than $100. Most are substantially cheaper.
    Ron N1WT Vermont

Ron,
    No witness protection here! Lol. Thank you very much fir the welcome.

Robert,
    You're right! Lol That would be a bad cop movie plot, I think! PS, I need to shoot you a PM.

KT,
    I was looking for The Red-tailed Hawk by Liam J. McGranaghan. Ended up tracking it down on Mike's, because Amazon buys wanted $200 to $500!

Also I would like to note by apprentice study guide is being shipped and should reach me by May 11th so I did a little excited cheer. I love learning.
    René M.

Thread Information