Good morning, everyone!
My name is Megan but I go by René. I'm a total newbie gal at 32 years old and currently residing in the good ol' Sunshine State (FL), specifically in a little joint called Pinellas Park. I have always had a secret love for falconry since I was roaming the country side woodlands of southern IL as a child. For as long as I can remember, I've been the outdoors one of my family.

I realized not too long ago that I've been struggling to find the proper channels to educate myself on how to get involved in falconry here!

That being said, here's what I do know:
I have researched and read documentation from FWC in regards to falconry and licensing.
I am seeking a hunting license for FL.
I've been pouring myself over information on the Florida Hawking Fraternity and the Florida Falconers' Association, which is how I ended up here.
I've been researching equipment and books.
I have interacted with a variety of bird species (from doves to macaws) and cared for them but I have only handled a raptor at a educational show. I would like to note that I'm not squeamish when I come to cutting up frozen birds or rodents, as I both cared for and keep various reptiles and I raw feed my two ferrets.

With that in mind, are there any active falconers near me? And yes, I'm willing to drive. I would also like to note that Pinellas Park is not where I plan to stay living and am seeking to move towards Spring Hill before I ever get my first bird. However, I understand the educational process could easily take 3-5 years and I would rather be prepared as much as possible before owning.

Thank you!