Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NEW Book From Gary Brewer Available Soon

Default NEW Book From Gary Brewer Available Soon

Hi All!

Just a quick note to give a heads up! Visited with Gary Brewer earlier today. His new book on falconry should be out to the public in about four months! Focuses primarily on the Red-tailed Hawk (of course!), but is not prey specific. Covers far more topics and material than Buteos and Bushytails. The new book is currently in layout/production stage. Estimated to be about 600 pages, when completed. I, for one, cannot wait to get a copy in my hands! Woooohoooooo!!

Happy Hawking Everyone!
    Deb Davis
    Give every day the chance to become the most beautiful of your life. - Mark Twain

I have copy of Buteos and Bushytails for sale if anyone is interested. $300.00 never read, paged through once. This isn't the right habitat for that here. I also paid shipping, free shipping, figured it will do someone more good. if interested, I will get out book and give more info maybe VG and signed?
    Ron

I will certainly get a copy too. About time for a new book on redtails. Do you know how it will be sold?
    Edmund Henderson
    Good falconry is always a thin line between two mistakes.

It's going to be a hardback book. I talked to him about doing an e-book but don't think he wants to go that route. There are going to be some good photos in the book and I don't think he wants to diminish them in any way. Gary is a traditionalist when it comes to books.
    John

dboyrollz76 Guest

I wonder how much of this book is fresh and new with ground breaking insights into falconry and how much of it is just reworded information that’s been around for 6k years.

It's hard to really come up with anything ground breaking in falconry. As you say falconry has been around for 6k years. Many intelligent resourceful people have spent years and years giving us much of what we know today. Gary is a smart guy and a great storyteller. The book will give his thoughts on Red-tails which I am sure will give the reader something to think about and learn from. One more thing, I am sure there will be a lot for you to disagree with too.
    Cheers,
    John

Quote Originally Posted by ehh View Post
    I will certainly get a copy too. About time for a new book on redtails. Do you know how it will be sold?
    John pretty much answered that question for you! Thanks, John! I've been away from the computer for awhile!
    Deb Davis
    Give every day the chance to become the most beautiful of your life. - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by jdrmd View Post
    It's hard to really come up with anything ground breaking in falconry. As you say falconry has been around for 6k years. Many intelligent resourceful people have spent years and years giving us much of what we know today. Gary is a smart guy and a great storyteller. The book will give his thoughts on Red-tails which I am sure will give the reader something to think about and learn from. One more thing, I am sure there will be a lot for you to disagree with too.
    Cheers,
    SO true, John! I, for one, wouldn't miss out on a copy of this book.
    Deb Davis

dboyrollz76 Guest

Cheers,
    I guess, I did just read The Goshawk by T.H. White it was entertaining.

Cheers,
    There's been a lot of new things written about accipiters and Falcons in recent years. Red tails not so much. I think there's a feeling that because they're hard to lose and hard to kill there's not much to flying them. But I think flying them to their potential is just as difficult as flying anything else to its potential. So I'm interested to see what Garry Brewer has to say in 600 pages. Some of the things he's written in the past I didn't agree with but I'm sure he'll have a lot of interesting things in his new book.
    Edmund Henderson
    Good falconry is always a thin line between two mistakes.

If someone can't respect you for flying a red tail, they have an ego problem!
    Ron

I was away from the falconry scene for 20 years (daytime job and similar annoyances).
    The last NAFA Meet I attended was in 1985. There were one or two Red Tails. The Peregrine/Prairie crosses had their own row at the weathering yard.
    Next meet in 2005. The Prairie crosses were gone. Peregrines, Gyr/Peregrines, and Gyrs filled the long wing section.
    The Red Tails had their own block let alone a row. I suspect a lot of the folks who had to fly a Red Tail when they were apprentices graduated to a "real falcon", got tired of driving 2 hours each way to get a slip, looked at each other and said "You remember how much fun we used to have frightening rabbits on Farmer Fred's south forty five miles out of town" and went back to the old days.

Reminiscences,
    Thomas of the Long View
    Tom Munson, Buckeye, AZ
    619-379-2656, tom@munson.us

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Gizmo View Post
    I was away from the falconry scene for 20 years (daytime job and similar annoyances).
    The last NAFA Meet I attended was in 1985. There were one or two Red Tails. The Peregrine/Prairie crosses had their own row at the weathering yard.
    Next meet in 2005. The Prairie crosses were gone. Peregrines, Gyr/Peregrines, and Gyrs filled the long wing section.
    The Red Tails had their own block let alone a row. I suspect a lot of the folks who had to fly a Red Tail when they were apprentices graduated to a "real falcon", got tired of driving 2 hours each way to get a slip, looked at each other and said "You remember how much fun we used to have frightening rabbits on Farmer Fred's south forty five miles out of town" and went back to the old days.

Reminiscences,
    Thomas of the Long View
    Sometimes we all need to remember that having fun is important.
    Ron N1WT Vermont

Brewer was a guest speaker at the New Jersey Falconry Club meet several years ago where he explained a "stress free" (for both bird and falconer) approach to training a Red Tail. The approach centers around placing the newly trapped bird in a mews that incorporated design modifications that take into account his understanding of a Red Tails behavior. the next year a good friend of mine built a new mews based upon the design, trapped a Red Tail and followed Gary's training approach which does not involve the traditional manning process. He has since trained a second Red Tail utilizing the same formula. He's sold on Gary's formula. AMAZING results both times. Gary used his extensive Red Tail knowledge and experience and came up with a new and improved innovative way to train a Red Tail.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Gizmo View Post

Reminiscences,
    Thomas of the Long View
    One of the fundamentals of falconry here in the U.S. has always been to fly the bird that suits the type of quarry you have available on a regular basis! You have to have the slips! Redtails are great birds. They have earned themselves a solid and secure place in falconry today!
    Last edited by wyodjm; 10-27-2020 at 11:27 AM.
    Dan McCarron
    John 3: 16

Quote Originally Posted by falconrydope View Post
    If someone can't respect you for flying a red tail, they have an ego problem!
    I believe this, Ron. When I first got interested in falconry and learned I was able to have a RTH as my FIRST bird, I was blown away! My DREAM bird was a Red-Tail! Hoped one day to be able to fly one. They are amazing creatures for sure! AND they suit the prey I have available to pursue - lots of squirrels mixed in with some rabbits. Yup. Red-tail is suitable. TOO MUCH FUN!
    Deb Davis

Quote Originally Posted by joekoz View Post
    Brewer was a guest speaker at the New Jersey Falconry Club meet several years ago where he explained a "stress free" (for both bird and falconer) approach to training a Red Tail. The approach centers around placing the newly trapped bird in a mews that incorporated design modifications that take into account his understanding of a Red Tails behavior. the next year a good friend of mine built a new mews based upon the design, trapped a Red Tail and followed Gary's training approach which does not involve the traditional manning process. He has since trained a second Red Tail utilizing the same formula. He's sold on Gary's formula. AMAZING results both times. Gary used his extensive Red Tail knowledge and experience and came up with a new and improved innovative way to train a Red Tail.
    My understanding is this new process is covered thoroughly in the new book.
    Deb Davis

One thing I find interesting about Red Tails is the plumage variations across the country. I fly a longwing because we have endless skies, we had a lot of ponds, but like you said, I don't like looking any more, it takes he fun out of it f me, now if I had a few hawking buddies down here it might be different.
    Ron

Very excited for Gary's new book!
    "Did she get it?!" ----"Uh...I think....Nah she missed." ----"S**t"
    Ian Gregg

Quote Originally Posted by Ian_Gregg View Post
    Very excited for Gary's new book!
    I have read a couple of chapters...I feel sure you will like it. Gary is a great writer, IMHO.
    John

Is there a way to preorder this book? Thanks
    David Harrer (KY)

I don't think so but i will ask.
    John

I too will be excited to get my hands on another Brewer book! Any update on when it will be available?
    Steven Herkimer NY

Thanks
    David Harrer (KY)

Spoke with Gary today. He is hoping to release the book in the late spring or early summer. It will be between 600 and 800 pages long and will have many beautiful color pictures. The book layout is being done by Dan Milner. He does the layout work on NAFA's Hawk Chalk and did the same for Steve Chindgren's newest book "The Art of Hawking Sage Grouse". Dan does beautiful work. As far as a pre-order, Gary is thinking about using Kickstarter to help with printing costs. It's going to be a beautiful book and I will try to keep everyone up to date as details become available.
    John

Spoke with Gary today. He is hoping to release the book in the late spring or early summer. It will be between 600 and 800 pages long and will have many beautiful color pictures. The book layout is being done by Dan Milner. He does the layout work on NAFA's Hawk Chalk and did the same for Steve Chindgren's newest book "The Art of Hawking Sage Grouse". Dan does beautiful work. As far as a pre-order, Gary is thinking about using Kickstarter to help with printing costs. It's going to be a beautiful book and I will try to keep everyone up to date as details become available.
    I cannot for the life of me understand why authors of falconry books do not use an on demand printing service (like Amazon for example) to avoid having a trailer load of books stored under a bed for years. In addition to the economics of getting the book going, the book will not be out of print as soon as the under bed space is empty causing the book to be worth $500 and only
    available to collectors.
    Ron N1WT Vermont

I'm certainly looking forward to the release and having a copy to read! Thanks, for the update, John!
    Deb Davis

I hope he offers signed copies like he did with Buteos & Bushytails.
    Steven Herkimer NY

Quote Originally Posted by Kaz5071 View Post
    I hope he offers signed copies like he did with Buteos & Bushytails.
    I'm sure he will.
    John

PhoboEvas, yes I still have book. Don't know any other way to contact you.
    Ron

Hey Ron, Ive tried a couple times thru PM to get you to message me via my email but all I get back from you is a quote of my message. Im still interested in your copy if you coukd contact me via my email address I sent you.

I'll try that . Here is my phone number 575-623-4277. I also have been having trouble reaching you.
    Ron

Yes , I'm having the same problem with email, call and leave message, I will pick up, if it's if it sounds legit, if home. Thanks
    Ron

Any update on Gary’s book?
    Chris
    Goshawks get it done with style

Quote Originally Posted by skooky20 View Post
    Any update on Gary’s book?
    Spoke with Gary a couple of hours ago, he is having some health challenges but this might help him complete the book. He is determined to get this project done and if you know Gary he will...
    John

Thread Information