Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NEW Book From Gary Brewer Available Soon

Any Updates?
    A Leaphart
    Anthony

Any news on the book release? I am hoping to read it before next trapping season.

Have a great day,

W
    Steven Herkimer NY

I'll likely be talking on the phone with Gary tonight. Will try to remember and ask him.
    Deb Davis
    Give every day the chance to become the most beautiful of your life. - Mark Twain

Did have a conversation with Gary and he assured me the book will be out before Christmas of this year. Likely by Thanksgiving, but for sure by Christmas. I'll be in line to get a copy!
    Deb Davis
    Give every day the chance to become the most beautiful of your life. - Mark Twain

The book is done and ready to go to the publisher...700 pages. Apprently, there is a paper shortage that could delay publication. Gary is working hard to get this book out.
    John

AWESOME news, John! Well, not about the paper shortage, but about the fact that the material is now ready for publication. I know Gary has worked really hard on this project; can't wait to get my hands on a copy!
    Deb Davis

Quote Originally Posted by jdrmd View Post
    The book is done and ready to go to the publisher...700 pages. Apprently, there is a paper shortage that could delay publication. Gary is working hard to get this book out.
    I wish falconry book authors would stop using yearbook publishers and stockpiling piles of books under the bed in their spare bedroom or in their garage. On demand publishing is easier AND
    there is no reason for books to go out of print and cost the next generation of falconers $500 because book collectors bought them all up.
    Ron N1WT Vermont

Quote Originally Posted by rkumetz View Post
    I wish falconry book authors would stop using yearbook publishers and stockpiling piles of books under the bed in their spare bedroom or in their garage. On demand publishing is easier AND
    there is no reason for books to go out of print and cost the next generation of falconers $500 because book collectors bought them all up.
    YIKES!!
    Deb Davis

Quote Originally Posted by Breeze View Post
    YIKES!!
    Yikes $500 or yikes on demand publishing?
    Ron N1WT Vermont

Yikes on demand publishing! An author takes a LONG time and puts in a LOT of effort to put together a book. How they choose to publish is entirely their business. As a potential user of the book, it is our choice to pay whatever the asking price - or not. It's really that simple, IMHO. I'll be buying one the moment they become available!
    Deb Davis

Quote Originally Posted by Breeze View Post
    Yikes on demand publishing! An author takes a LONG time and puts in a LOT of effort to put together a book. How they choose to publish is entirely their business. As a potential user of the book, it is our choice to pay whatever the asking price - or not. It's really that simple, IMHO. I'll be buying one the moment they become available!
    I do not in any way object to the asking price of most falconry books that are "in print". Generally they tend to be around $50 and most under $100. That is absolutely fair for a limited interest publication that requires a lot of effort to put together.

The cost to the author and the effort of fulfilling orders is where on-demand publishing shines. The author does not have to invest a single red cent into the
    publishing and printing effort. The book is printed only when someone orders so the "publisher" is willing to keep titles in print virtually forever because they
    have no real investment other than some storage space on a bunch of humongous disk drives somewhere.

If an author self publishes they end up buying 100's of books up front which is a cash outlay and requires storage space in a relatively climate controlled location.
    Then they either sell them direct taking Paypal payments and going to the post office or they sell for wholesale prices to falconry equipment distributors who take a cut.

Contrast that with loading a PDF file to an on demand publisher and waiting for the royalty checks to show up.

I have a friend who publishes books for archery coaches. Clearly a small audience like falconry. He uses Amazon for his books making them widely available. He sets the price which sets his profit margin as well. His books will be available long after he himself is making the grass greener.

Some books that people like Harry McElroy sold for way under $50 are now going for $500 because it is not worth reprinting them. A lot of the
    information is as useful as when it was first published but a new falconer can only get their hands on it if they have a friend who is willing to lend out
    a now collectible and expensive book or if they have a big budget for falconry literature.

My real point is that if you are going to go through the tremendous effort of putting together a book why not make it available forever so your
    relatives get the royalty checks even after you are gone?
    Ron N1WT Vermont

Ron,
    Are these high-quality publications or cheap paperbacks? I think Gary wants a book that people could put on their coffee tables. It is full of high resolution pictures.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by jdrmd View Post
    Ron,
    Are these high-quality publications or cheap paperbacks? I think Gary wants a book that people could put on their coffee tables. It is full of high resolution pictures.
    Depending on who the publisher is they can be hardbacks and the quality is decent.

Having said that if he is shooting for an Emma Ford book (she likes to stroke her own ego as evidenced by the many pics of herself in her books) that is one thing but a high quality book for informational purposes does not need to cost a fortune. There is something in between a work of art and a duct tape job. I don't see Gary as an egocentric sort of fellow but I do respect his desire to not put his name on a sub standard product.

Another route would be to go through a falconry specialty book publisher such as Western Sporting or Hancock House. That would minimize the author's investment though it would not necessarily preserve the book once the demand gets too low to reprint another batch.

Certainly another route to go would be to do both - a limited edition coffee table book and a paperback for those of us who mostly read for the material itself.
    I have a pile of those very expensive collector books that I bought up after someone spilled something on it or ripped off the cover minimizing its collector value.

Gary is one of the guys who write books that an apprentice should read so it would be cool if they outlive him so future apprentices can benefit. Not that
    I am suggesting he is hanging on by a thread mind you but I assume you see my point.
    Ron N1WT Vermont

Ron,
    I appreciate your last couple of sentences. Gary indeed wants this book to be affordable but high quality. The photos are shots of birds and prey, almost exclusively. He wants this to be a book that you read and reference, but he also wants it to be a book that you can pull out, sit back and enjoy the beauty and utility of Red Tails even after you have read the words. This is a culmination of his falconry experience with Red Tails, and he LOVES Red Tails. I'm trying to get him to do a collector's version of the book, and he might, but the main goal is to get a high quality and affordable book out to beginner and advanced falconers.
    John

These days everything costs a lot.
    My metal fab guy told me that when he gets quotes on material they are good for 24 hours like buying fish.

I would not want to plunk down the cash to buy 250 copies of a decent size hardcover book.

I think a collector edition and an on demand paperback might be a good compromise. The Coulson book at $80 is a good example of a great book that is pushing the envelope of affordable for a 16 yr old apprentice.
    It is a great book and that is a reasonable 2022 price for what you get but I can afford it.
    People like you and i will buy the hardcover because we are invested in falconry. Or should I say addicted? 😁
    Ron N1WT Vermont

LOL Could agree more with you Ron. It's a tough decision.....

Quote Originally Posted by rkumetz View Post
    These days everything costs a lot.
    My metal fab guy told me that when he gets quotes on material they are good for 24 hours like buying fish.

I would not want to plunk down the cash to buy 250 copies of a decent size hardcover book.

I think a collector edition and an on demand paperback might be a good compromise. The Coulson book at $80 is a good example of a great book that is pushing the envelope of affordable for a 16 yr old apprentice.
    It is a great book and that is a reasonable 2022 price for what you get but I can afford it.
    People like you and i will buy the hardcover because we are invested in falconry. Or should I say addicted? 
    John

I’m not a 16 yr old apprentice but nonetheless I have not found an affordable copy of buteos and bushytails. I am rather excited he’s publishing a new book and will definitely be one of the first to snag a copy. I’ll just sit and relax until this book is for sale rather than search relentlessly for a good deal on his past book. I am more than happy to pay for the amount of information that he is providing given how highly regarded his past book was. Thanks for all the updates.
    -Cody Link
    General Falconer

Man!
    Trapping season around the corner, I am hoping to get a good read to get pumped before hunting season starts.
    A Leaphart
    Anthony

Quote Originally Posted by Fishinglink View Post
    I’m not a 16 yr old apprentice but nonetheless I have not found an affordable copy of buteos and bushytails. I am rather excited he’s publishing a new book and will definitely be one of the first to snag a copy. I’ll just sit and relax until this book is for sale rather than search relentlessly for a good deal on his past book. I am more than happy to pay for the amount of information that he is providing given how highly regarded his past book was. Thanks for all the updates.
    If you haven't done so, check with your local library. Interlibrary loan can often obtain books which you can check out. Won't give you a copy to keep, but might be able to at least get the book and read it. This goes for ALL books. Give the librarian the book title and author - they can check for availability and request the book be shipped to their library, on a temporary loan. They are very happy to do this and last I knew, there's no fee for the service. Just a thought.
    Deb Davis

The new book is about to go to the printer. It's between 500 and 600 pages.
    John

Thanks for the suggestion Deb. I know a local falconer that has the book and he’d probably loan it to me if I asked. I’m going to read this new book and see how much it covers from the old one.
    -Cody Link
    General Falconer

You're welcome, Cody! As an apprentice I was burning up the library loan system for a few months. LOL!
    Deb Davis

Any book updates?
    Anthony L
    Anthony

Any new updates to Gary’s book, it’s almost Christmas lol
    Chris
    Goshawks get it done with style

He is close....that is all I can say. I keep pressing him. He has had some health challenges...Stay tuned!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    John

Any further idea when this is going to print I love the idea of a new book from him on red tails. Abs how about a possible reprint of buteos and bushytails
    Roman Roeck
    "Fly them til the feathers fall off"

Any update on the release of the new book by any chance?
    Astrid Sologaistoa
    ~When Love and Skill Work Together Expect a Masterpiece~ John Ruskin

Spoke to him last week, he is putting the finishing touches on it. Said it will be done ready for sale this year.
    John

Thanks for the update
    Astrid Sologaistoa
    ~When Love and Skill Work Together Expect a Masterpiece~ John Ruskin

Any further updates at this time?
    aaron

He'll be on an upcoming episode of Falconry Told....I feel sure he will give an update....
    John

May be a long shot but figured this would be a decent place to post but does anyone know where I might could get a copy of Buteos and Bushytails?

I tried finding the episode on falconry told, is it premium content? Thank you!

Jordan

Here is the link. The podcast has split from the original website/series. https://www.falconrychronicles.com/
    Diana Morrissey
    Framingham, MA

Thank you for responding so quickly!

Jordan

Thread Information