Thread: NEW Book From Gary Brewer Available Soon

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Gizmo View Post
    I was away from the falconry scene for 20 years (daytime job and similar annoyances).
    The last NAFA Meet I attended was in 1985. There were one or two Red Tails. The Peregrine/Prairie crosses had their own row at the weathering yard.
    Next meet in 2005. The Prairie crosses were gone. Peregrines, Gyr/Peregrines, and Gyrs filled the long wing section.
    The Red Tails had their own block let alone a row. I suspect a lot of the folks who had to fly a Red Tail when they were apprentices graduated to a "real falcon", got tired of driving 2 hours each way to get a slip, looked at each other and said "You remember how much fun we used to have frightening rabbits on Farmer Fred's south forty five miles out of town" and went back to the old days.

Reminiscences,
    Thomas of the Long View
    One of the fundamentals of falconry here in the U.S. has always been to fly the bird that suits the type of quarry you have available on a regular basis! You have to have the slips! Redtails are great birds. They have earned themselves a solid and secure place in falconry today!
    Last edited by wyodjm; 10-27-2020 at 11:27 AM.
    Dan McCarron
    John 3: 16

Thread Information