Thread: New guy from NW Ohio

Default New guy from NW Ohio

Hello everyone, I am new to the site and eager to get to know some of you. I am 33 years old, married with one daughter and we are all excited for me to begin the adventure of falconry. Like a lot of you my admiration of raptors began after reading “My Side of the Mountain” as a child. It took a while to get to where all the aspects of life have aligned so that I can fully commit to falconry, but I believe I have arrived! Just wanted to say hello and if anyone is in my area I hope to get to know you in the future. I am still in the process of joining all of the proper organizations to support the sport, finding a sponsor and getting my application started. If anyone can point me in the direction of a sponsor so I can take my Ohio falconry test it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and hope to see you guys around!

-Cole Myers

Welcome Cole, you are taking all the right steps. Just be aware that it will be a slow process. You should join the OFA and follow them on Facebook. There is a meet coming up soon and you can try to network there. That info will be on the FB page. It might also help if you were a bit more specific about where you live. There’s only about 120 practicing falconers here and we’re fairly spread out. So patience and diligence are virtues. Were in the middle of our hunting season now so it shouldn’t be difficult to find someone that’s willing to take you along hunting.
    John
    Midwest

Sorry, I am used to being vague on my location when using internet groups. I am located in Van Wert county, more specifically Convoy. I am in the process of joining OFA, the application I found was paper form so it will take a little bit for me to show up on their platforms. I don’t have Facebook currently but that will be a a small sacrifice if it is required to link up with members of the community. I would love to participate in some hunts this year and offer any help that I can for the time being. I know I have to show up if I really want a fighting chance to be looking at trapping a 2021 bird. Thanks for your time!
    - Cole Myers

dboyrollz76 Guest

Congratulations on being bit by the falconry bug. Life as you know it is about to permanently change.

FB seems to be the place these days to start seeing what’s going on. Along with the OFA page you might look at Ohio falconry and hunting hawks there’s a bunch of us there and it’s a more active page.
    John
    Midwest

Thread Information