Quote Originally Posted by blackhandle View Post
I think you could do that with kestrels to be honest. The rules say you have to have the jess, swivels, and all that equipment. A water bowl big enough for them to bathe in and at least one perch. Personally, I'd like to keep it in a specific area doing exactly what you're talking about BUT it was suggested to me that the parrot and the falcon not see each other. It's kind of disappointing actually because I'm 100% certain that Gonzo (his beak is friggin' huge for his head size) would love having another bird around but being a prey species he'd utterly flip out if a predator was visible. TBH, I'm not even sure I can have them in the same area even if he can't see the falcon. He'd probably be okay once he figured out the falcon isn't able to get him and I have plexiglass surrounding much of his cage already to control the food throwing so I don't necessarily have to worry about the falcon crabbing.

Out of curiosity, why would people move their mews?

As for over engineering it, I should probably explain that I was going to build an insulated shed anyways because I homebrew and desire a place to homebrew without keeping all my stuff inside. It takes up a pretty big amount of my office and I temperature control it anyways for fermenting and aging beer.

Any thought on whether the wood floor should be coated with something like Blackjack #57? I know it's used by a lot of poultry people inside chicken coops and it's pretty inert once dried unless you sand it.

Hi Kevin,

Welcome to NAFEX and the wonderful world of falconry. With regard to your parrot there are a lot of falconers who also have parrots and I've never heard of any parrot having issues with a bird of prey nearby. In fact, falcons evolved from parrots, so it's kind of family thing . Hopefully someone with parrots will chime in on this thread.

I homebrewed for years, all grain, 2 -3 batches/month, I always had 2-3 different styles on-tap in a dedicated chest fridge it was great. Then one day I was working in the yard and almost got hit the face by a canyon towhee as he was fleeing a sharp-shin that too also almost smacked me upside the head. Next day I searched the internet for falconry, and here I am 22 years later and I can count on one hand how many batches I've brewed since then. Not saying it'll happen to you, but your home brewery might not be seeing the use it once did after you open Pandora's box of falconry.

Good Luck!