Thread: Forum Overhaul Question

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Exclamation Forum Overhaul Question

Hi Chris - A few concerns regarding the upcoming overhaul please . . .

Will the overhaul you are planning affect (erase) our posts?

Will it affect the various features now working? Such as number of posts members have submitted? Or number of hits on threads?

Will this overhaul wipe out the entire site and we'll be starting from scratch?

There may be others who are wondering about the overhaul as well.

Thanks for clarifying. I appreciate your time and efforts to keep this forum up and running. It's very enjoyable.

Donna in Nebraska, USA
    Be kinder than is necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Quote Originally Posted by Flatwater Falconer View Post
    Hi Chris - A few concerns regarding the upcoming overhaul please . . .

1)Will the overhaul you are planning affect (erase) our posts?

2)Will it affect the various features now working? Such as number of posts members have submitted? Or number of hits on threads?

3)Will this overhaul wipe out the entire site and we'll be starting from scratch?

4)There may be others who are wondering about the overhaul as well.

Thanks for clarifying. I appreciate your time and efforts to keep this forum up and running. It's very enjoyable.

Doanna,
    great questions and hank you for asking them.

I have numbered your questions.

1) No all posts will still be here. I will be baking the entire forum up just inase it does erase the data base.. but, upgrade should not do that.

2 & 3)No, all information and post ounts will be the same. What is happening is there is a more stable version of this board out , but it is a big upgrade so it wil just take time. Same software just big upraded version, so everything should be the same.. but as I said I will do a entire back up to make sure I dont lose it all in cyber space

let me know if you or any others have any concerns or questions. I appreciate your input
    Chris Lynn
    -Owner and Admin of NAFEX.net.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris L. View Post
    Doanna,

1) No all posts will still be here. I will be baking the entire forum up just inase it does erase the data base.. but, upgrade should not do that.
    Chris send me some of that forum pie you are baking up. Maybe it will cure the rash that has developed since I heard the forums will be going down for a little while...at least I think that's why the rash appeared
    Mike T. ~ N. Florida ~ 2nd year apprentice

Chirs, Will the new version be altering the database? or is it just a cosmetic "skin"?
    I assume that with any "big" upgrade that takes more than a few minutes to complete, some kind of upgrade or DBKit will be applied to the database, might wanna make sure that the schema and table data are also backed up when you do your baking

Quote Originally Posted by Chris L. View Post
    Doanna,

I have numbered your questions.

2 & 3)No, all information and post ounts will be the same. What is happening is there is a more stable version of this board out , but it is a big upgrade so it wil just take time. Same software just big upraded version, so everything should be the same.. but as I said I will do a entire back up to make sure I dont lose it all in cyber space

let me know if you or any others have any concerns or questions. I appreciate your input
    Havv ewe bin drinkkkingg?

Tom Gagne- Don't panic.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeT307 View Post
    Chris send me some of that forum pie you are baking up. Maybe it will cure the rash that has developed since I heard the forums will be going down for a little while...at least I think that's why the rash appeared
    LOL, thanks mike...I know my spell check wasnt working... and I was in a hurry Sorry. Thanks for busting my B_lls frus

Quote Originally Posted by JonnyG View Post
    Chirs, Will the new version be altering the database? or is it just a cosmetic "skin"?
    I assume that with any "big" upgrade that takes more than a few minutes to complete, some kind of upgrade or DBKit will be applied to the database, might wanna make sure that the schema and table data are also backed up when you do your baking
    Jonny, thank you for the input.. yes it is a big upgrade. I will be backing everything up. Skins should be the same as well as the layout.. just the data base is being reworked

Quote Originally Posted by tumble View Post
    Havv ewe bin drinkkkingg?

No i think Ev hacked my account
    Chris Lynn

Hey Chris are you doing the overhaul at the end of this week...or have you already done it because i dont see any changes?
    Thurman

Quote Originally Posted by redtailflyer View Post
    Hey Chris are you doing the overhaul at the end of this week...or have you already done it because i dont see any changes?

you will see the changes slowly. It is an ongoing process as I have to find new programs that are going with the upgrade. It is happening... please hang in there.
    Chris Lynn

Thread Information