Thread: new to the forum

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Hope it all works out for you, I understand the draw to fly broad/short wings. If you have your general will you fly a passage, imprint,chamber raised or have you got that far?

Randy

Thanks for the good wishes, Randy! I am leaning towards getting a passage Red Tail, or Coop for this season and then releasing her or him in the spring as I am strongly thinking of getting an early clutch Parent Reared Gos or Harris next fall. Alternately I have considered doing the McDermott Imprinting method on a Gos or Coop as I did something "similar" by dint of accident and luck when I was I kid and had pretty good success.

I have a fear of somehow failing to make a successful job of imprinting this time around, and being committed to a crazy monster bird for the rest of it's life. I know I can produce a real nice game hawk from a PR or Passage, and so I will probably stick to one of those and just play it safe.

I moved to the California Central Coast from Southern California last year and the amount of feather that is available to hunt here makes me shy away from the Red Tail a bit. I love Reds for taking Jack though. They are great Jack Hawks and if I had not moved from the desert I would be planning to get another passage hen Red for sure. Slope soaring in the hilly desert is/was the ultimate in Red Tailing for me. But the Central Coast just screams for an Accipiter style hunt to me.
    Tom

Thread Information