Thread: Hello

Default Hello

Hello
    I have just recently discovered falconry. Any information on the best types of birds for a beginner would be greatly appreciated.

Hello. Where in Japan are you from. I have a friend that lives outside of Tokyo, She spend the summer with me. I don't know anything about Falconry in Japan but in the USA the only birds an apprentice can have is a Red Tail or a Kestrel.

I'm military stationed at Yokta AB. Originally from Oklahoma. I've been reading some of the regulations to get started. It sounds like a good setup to keep the new guy from getting over his head. I've read a post on another site that said a Kestrel was no good for a beginner

I am new to the sport too so I don't know how much help I am. But I think the main reason the Kestrel is harder is because it is so small and has a such a high metabolism. The Red Tail is large but is more forgiving to the inexperienced falconer.

Also, they like it if you include your name somewhere, it's just friendly.

Sorry
    My my name is Jon. I'm also new to posting on forums. Thank you for the help. I wouldn't mind a red tail though. I've read good things about them.

Hi Jon, and welcome! From what I can tell about Japanese Falconry (I plan to go there and study first hand one day) is that Traditionally the Goshawk is the bird of choice. It is my understanding that many Japanese Falconers are beginning to use Harris Hawks for their beginners. That is what I would do if I was in your shoes. Get a Harris. Also, try and find some "local" falconers who can offer you some advice and all that. To learn falconry in Japan....how cool is that!
    Tom

Thanks for the post.
    The Harris Hawk for a beginner seems to be a greatly debated issue(just finished reading one of the other posts) although it would be nice to have one that isn't extremely difficult to train. I am definitely going to find some falconers here in Japan to learn from.

John,

Are you planning on trying to fly a bird in Japan or are you just trying to learn about falconry for when you get back to the States? It makes a huge difference as our falconry laws are different than Japan. A great webstie to learn a lot about falconry is http://www.themodernapprentice.com/ , I would read every page on there and try and learn as many of the terms and phrases as you can as it will help you when you go and talk to some of the falconers over there.

Good luck,
    Fred
    "Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Talking

I won't know if I can fly a bird here until I can talk to some of the local falconers, also I have to see if I can keep a BOP on base depending on base regulations. Even if I can't it will be nice to get my knowlege base started, and get to know the sport. Thank you for the website and the advice. It looks like a good place to get started.

Thanks

There is no easier bird to train than a Harris. Thus the great debate over whether or not they are too easy for a novice. But really, you should get the bird that your sponsor/mentor recommends. I think you would be allowed a bird on base, but I could be wrong. Will cross my fingers for you, as well as for you getting permission from the Japanese officials.
    Tom

Thanks
    I'll be sure to read up on the Harris Hawks. I was also thinking about a Kestrel because it doesn't sound like you need a lot of space to hunt them due to their size. I read that you have to watch there weight very closely but if I can find a good sponsor maybe I could make it work.

Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by FalconFan View Post
    Thanks
    I'll be sure to read up on the Harris Hawks. I was also thinking about a Kestrel because it doesn't sound like you need a lot of space to hunt them due to their size. I read that you have to watch there weight very closely but if I can find a good sponsor maybe I could make it work.

Any thoughts?
    In Japan, most likely the only kestrel you will be able to fly is a Euro Kestrel, which isn't like the American Kestrel. The AK is more accipiter like and more aggressive and lots of folks have taken lots of game with them, including myself. Not many folks have been successful with a Euro Kestrel for hunting, most of the folks in the UK fly them in displays and only to the lure. Since you don't have the apprentice system to go through in Japan, your best bet would be to fly a Harris. I doubt if you will find many red-tails to be had in Japan, if so, they will cost you an arm and a leg.
    Fred
    "Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thanks for the info. I looked up the harris hawk, awesome looking bird. I like that they may use you as their hunting partner, and that they are more docile(especially for a bird that size). Do you know if they can take down a crow, plenty of those around here and the japanese seem them as a nuicance.

Jon:
    have fun and post ofter but please sign your post, we are on a first name bases here. You can have your name added, just go to the CP section.
    EVERET K. HORTON, MICHIGAN
    Game is the name of the Game

checking signature
    Jon

Lightbulb

Thanks
    Sorry not trying to be unfriendly just not used to posting
    Jon

Jon:
    It is easy to forget
    EVERET K. HORTON, MICHIGAN
    Game is the name of the Game

Quote Originally Posted by FalconFan View Post
    Thanks for the info. I looked up the harris hawk, awesome looking bird. I like that they may use you as their hunting partner, and that they are more docile(especially for a bird that size). Do you know if they can take down a crow, plenty of those around here and the japanese seem them as a nuicance.
    Yep. They will do crows, ducks, and even pheasants plus rabbits and hares. They really are cool.
    Tom

Thread Information