Thread: Greetings from Miami Florida!.

Default Greetings from Miami Florida!.

Hi guys/girls my name is frank nice to meet u all ,i hope all of u guys are doing well same goes for ur birds , i would like to let u guys know that im new at this sport and therefore i would like to get as much help possible from u guys as i can to guide me in the right direction,first question is where do i get the permit to keep falcons? and what would be the best starter falcon or hawk to start with, i was thinking about getting the coopers hawk or the kestrel and then move to a peregrine falcon wich is my favorite,here in miami florida in the everglades we have lots of redtail hawks and kestrels so getting one would not be hard with the right trap,well that is all thank guys for ur time.

Frank:
    Not knowing the falconry law's in FL. I would suggest that you contact the game department in FL. and ask for a set of the Falconry Reg etc. This will give you a lot of information that you are looking for and also some insight into falconry. Then read the post that have already been posted. Have fun and welcome to the site. Be sure and sign all your post. We like to keep it friendly around here.
    EVERET K. HORTON, MICHIGAN
    Game is the name of the Game

ok thank u for the information,i wonder if theres anyone here that does this sport in miami florida,so i could get in touch with.

Frank,

First of all, you have to have a Florida state falconry permit and a Federal license to have a raptor for falconry. In order to get those, you have to take a state permit test and pass that, get a sponser who has their falconry permits, build and obtain all your falconry equipment and facilities and have them inspected and then do a 2 year apprenticeship under said sponser. The best thing to do is to contact the Florida Wildlife folks for a state falconry packet which will explain all you need to do to get into this sport legally. Your first 2 years, you will only be able to fly a red-tail hawk or an american kestrel. Another good way to find information is to contact folks in the Florida Hawking Fraternity (http://www.f-h-f.org/) and use their guidence as they know the laws of the state of Florida and can help you find a sponser in your area.

Good luck and have fun,
    Fred
    "Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by FredrickFogg View Post
    Frank,

First of all, you have to have a Florida state falconry permit and a Federal license to have a raptor for falconry. In order to get those, you have to take a state permit test and pass that, get a sponser who has their falconry permits, build and obtain all your falconry equipment and facilities and have them inspected and then do a 2 year apprenticeship under said sponser. The best thing to do is to contact the Florida Wildlife folks for a state falconry packet which will explain all you need to do to get into this sport legally. Your first 2 years, you will only be able to fly a red-tail hawk or an american kestrel. Another good way to find information is to contact folks in the Florida Hawking Fraternity (http://www.f-h-f.org/) and use their guidence as they know the laws of the state of Florida and can help you find a sponser in your area.

Good luck and have fun,
    What Fred said...except there is no state packet for FL, we get a Red Tail or Red Shoulder as apprentice birds (no kestrels) and www.floridafalconry.com is another good option to contact. There are a good number of falconers in South FL. If it's something that you really want to do and not just a "cool" interest you should be able to meet some local falconers pretty easily through the clubs. I'd do some reading first before contacting them though. http://www.nafex.net/showthread.php?t=1320
    Mike T. ~ N. Florida ~ 2nd year apprentice

Default hello miami

hello my friend, i am new in this and i live here in miami and if you can help me about falconry i will thank you so much. my name is Jose Lara. thank you for all and have a good day

Jose Lara

Hi Frank best bet is to join the state falconry clubs and go their events.They all start in the next couple of months.
    Robert Miller

Orlando, FL

Quote Originally Posted by Yoni012 View Post
    hello my friend, i am new in this and i live here in miami and if you can help me about falconry i will thank you so much. my name is Jose Lara. thank you for all and have a good day

Jose Lara
    http://www.nafex.net/showthread.php?t=20679

Jose see the attached info on FHF picnic.
    Timothy Powers O'Neill, Esq. Tequesta, FL
    It's not that the Irish are cynical. It's rather that they have a wonderful lack of respect for everything and everybody. ~Brendan Behan

Thank you for help me

Default Apprentice

There are only three birds you can possess as an apprentice, it's the red tailed hawk, red shoulder or merlin and your an apprentice for two years then a general for 5 years before becoming a master.. You should attend the Florida hawking fraternity picnic on September 27th at Bass Pro Shop in Orlando.. Those are the three birds you can possess according to Florida regulations, each state has there own version of th regulations. And you don't have to get permitted through the federal government anymore just the state of Florida and take a 100 question multiple choice test, get a sponsor your supplies and inspected by fish and game
    Hollie Topash
    Until one has loved an animal, a part of ones's soul remains unawakened!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Yoni012 View Post

Jose Lara

Feel free to join the Florida Falconers Association FB group. There you can meet others from your area as well as access State info.
    Joe N.

Florida Panhandel

Thread Information