Thread: Hey from NY

Default Hey from NY

Hi, I am from Buffalo, NY and I formerly rode and trained horses. I am unable to continue riding at this time and will never be able to return to the level I rode at due to a serious neck surgery. I am used to being at the farm 7 days a week for several hours a day. I was involved in all aspects of care from cleaning to lugging water buckets across the barn in winter to first aide, including giving shots and stitches. I am very much used to being outside weather its 90 degrees or 10 below, rain, shine, or hail.

I have been debating several possiblities to fill a very large void. I love to work with animals and to be outside. I have always loved raptors, I have even gone to the zoo where, for a week, I was able to shadow the raptors keepers and help in their care. I have been reading as much info as possible and am hoping to find a falconer close by to meet.

Thanks for listening!!!

Call NYS ENCON's special licenses unit @ 518-402-8984 ( you will most likely get a recording so leave your info on it ) and ask for a falconry information package. It is free and it will contain the the instructions and forms to apply, a study guide which includes all the actual questions and a list of all licensed falconers in the state ( with addresses and phone #s ). So you can start calling. You can also go to Yahoo Groups, there is a group there for NY Falconers. That might get you in touch with someone sooner. I am in the Albany area so I won't be much help to you. Our reason ends the end of March so you have about 6 weeks to get out with someone this year.
    Good luck.
    Geoff

Quote Originally Posted by Bricks View Post
    Hi, I am from Buffalo, NY and I formerly rode and trained horses. I am unable to continue riding at this time and will never be able to return to the level I rode at due to a serious neck surgery. I am used to being at the farm 7 days a week for several hours a day. I was involved in all aspects of care from cleaning to lugging water buckets across the barn in winter to first aide, including giving shots and stitches. I am very much used to being outside weather its 90 degrees or 10 below, rain, shine, or hail.

I have been debating several possiblities to fill a very large void. I love to work with animals and to be outside. I have always loved raptors, I have even gone to the zoo where, for a week, I was able to shadow the raptors keepers and help in their care. I have been reading as much info as possible and am hoping to find a falconer close by to meet.

Thanks for listening!!!
    Sorry about the injury, welcome to the board. One thing you should know... once you get hooked on Falconry you will never look back.

btw - What's your name?
    -Ken
    (Maryland/Pennsylvania)

Quote Originally Posted by superparabuteo View Post
    once you get hooked on Falconry you will never look back.

Welcome to NAFEX. Please tell us your name as we like to get to know people by their real names on here.

please don't hesitate to post and ask questions

Good luck with falconry, you will love it
    Chris Lynn
    -Owner and Admin of NAFEX.net.

bricks
    I gotta ask what type of training were you doing.. i would assume that being on the east coast it would be a flat seat type riding just curious. if you dont mind us asking..
    I train and ride horse quite regular but it usually involves ropes and cattle
    Falconery is not usually done so to speak in the warmer months of the year ie.. sept to march ... but there are those that fly more than that but generaly that is the time period. The warmer summer type months the birds are usually sitting and molting.. have you thought of fly fishing for the summer months fly fisherman can be just like falconers . I will let you draw your own conclusions in due time on that one. but welcome
    David

My name is Ari. I was actually not injured, I had a congenital defect where I was missing a bone at the top of my neck that exposed my brainstem and spinal cord. The surgeon can't believe I made it this far in life!!! I am still in my neck collar for the next couple of weeks.

I am not really concerned about not be able to start until next year because that will give me all summer to do research and study up. It will also give me time to work extra hours, I currently work midnights at a group home for developmentally disabled adults. My days are free and I have all night to study up!!!

As to the type of riding I do, I trained dressage mostly and also did some jumping. Due to my neck I had to keep my jumping to a minimum, although I should not have been doing it at all. I also love trail riding. Not sure if anyone has been watching about the plane crash by Buffalo, but that is where I used to ride a lot. I plan to return to training dressage and trail riding just for fun.

Thanks again
    Ari

that is beyond incredable.. I wish you the best .. there is a lot of good infor on this forum and some real bullshit.. you will learn to pick and choose as we all have ..
    some people are incredably profound on here a lot of ideas get bounced about .. but unlike some other forums the bashing is either stopped by our Imperial Leaders of the Great Falconry Gods.. They can over see all of us and in a single touch of a finger, simply remove what we said as if it never existed at all.. Or we simply watch and pick our words and generaly carry a conversation in a positive light, or the general public steps in and tells us to stop and take it somewhere else if it is going to get nasty..
    In any requard you will find most of us quite delightful .. this is a good start , but do you have any salt. or at least a grain of it will do.
    David

Thread Information