Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello from Thailand

Default Hello from Thailand

I fly crowned eagle and nice to meeting you guys here.

Im a huge fan of Emmy. Im very glad to see you here.
    I would suggest you get with Chris L (the father of this forum) about what pics you can post here, but I'll bet you can post more here than you can elsewhere.
    For those of us who dont know you, will you give us some history and background on Emmy?
    Meridith
    "I've spent the better part of the past year as a multi-dimensional wavelength of celestial intent."

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeagle View Post
    I fly crowned eagle and nice to meeting you guys here.
    Sawadee Krup.

Thanks Zarafia and nice to meeting you here too.
    I fly a female crowned eagle. Her name is Emmy, she is in her third year. Crowned eagle is considered to be one of the most powerful eagle on earth along with the Harpy eagle. Emmy is not a very big eagle she is around 4 kgs fully fat. You will see alot more of her this season cause the last one ended early when she started her moult early.

Great looking raptor. I look forward to seeing more of Emmy and hearing about her hunting ability....

Keep the stories and pics coming!

There are very few people out there flying crowned eagles I think.
    Emmy is an imprint, right?
    I am amazed at how good she is with you. I know she has shown agression toward other people, but I think I have seen pictures of you holding her prey for her with almost nothing to protect your hands at all.
    I am very impressed at how you handle such a lethal eagle.
    They are truly amazing birds, to so completely understand the difference between you and other things (people, primates etc...) It is truly amazing the way she regards you.
    Meridith
    "I've spent the better part of the past year as a multi-dimensional wavelength of celestial intent."

Sabai dee I am from Laos Hawking in New Mexico Nice looking bird I can only Dream to fly such a beauty

Do you Know any Thai in New Mexico?

I would love to plan a trip to Thailand and fly with you
    Mike

Head count is nothing Just Fly Your Bird

Quote Originally Posted by atcfalconry View Post
    Sabai dee I am from Laos Hawking in New Mexico Nice looking bird I can only Dream to fly such a beauty

Do you Know any Thai in New Mexico?

I would love to plan a trip to Thailand and fly with you
    Sorry, I dont know any Thai in New Mexico. If you have chance to come by here pls give us a visit.

Quote Originally Posted by Zarafia View Post
    There are very few people out there flying crowned eagles I think.
    Emmy is an imprint, right?
    I am amazed at how good she is with you. I know she has shown agression toward other people, but I think I have seen pictures of you holding her prey for her with almost nothing to protect your hands at all.
    I am very impressed at how you handle such a lethal eagle.
    They are truly amazing birds, to so completely understand the difference between you and other things (people, primates etc...) It is truly amazing the way she regards you.
    Indeed, Emmy is an imprint but she is not at all agressive. I have not yet been grabbed by her. Here are more pics of her, check out her toes, the front inner toes are similar in size to my thomb.

That picture is exactly what I was thinking of. You are holding her prey bare handed. Absolutlely amazing to me.
    Heres something I havent asked before, what other birds have you known?
    I spoke breifly with a person who handles golden eagles in England, I told him that I would never try and get near my redtails feet while she was holding her prey. He told me that its different with the eagles he knows because they are quite a bit smarter than a redtail.
    I can only guess that Emmy is very intelligent too. How else could she choose to be so gentle with you, even on her prey?
    Ive seen close up pictures of Emmys feet. Intimidating to say the least.
    Meridith

Hello my friend!
    Ken Hooke
    Falconry Hoods International
    "Specializing" in unique, One Piece Hoods

Greetings,
    Good to see you here. Love the pictures!
    ~Erik Swanson~

Washed meat and stones will cause a hawk to fly;
    Long fasting and no castings will cause a hawk to die.

Welcome! Awesome bird, please post lots of pics!!
    Paul Domski
    New Mexico, USA

Great to have you here! What a wild thought to be hawking primates
    Bryant Tarr
    Hawk Hill Falconry

Default AWSOME PICS

Welcome to NAFEX, I really enjoy the pictures. What kind of monkey is that? Is that normal quarry when you hunt? What other animals do you hunt?
    Tim From Michigan, USA
    Last edited by Agapeace; 01-09-2009 at 03:46 PM.
    Tim Marshall-Lasting change, the kind that liberates nations, ends a dark age, or moves mankind forward does not occur by laws or mandates, and not by war or coercion. It happens one heart at a time, slowly, and only with noble passion.

Hello, that is one beautiful bird. I would imagine that the moneys like to fight back.Then again those huge talons probably put a very quick end to the fight.
    Hassan, TN

Quote Originally Posted by Zarafia View Post
    That picture is exactly what I was thinking of. You are holding her prey bare handed. Absolutlely amazing to me.
    Heres something I havent asked before, what other birds have you known?
    I spoke breifly with a person who handles golden eagles in England, I told him that I would never try and get near my redtails feet while she was holding her prey. He told me that its different with the eagles he knows because they are quite a bit smarter than a redtail.
    I can only guess that Emmy is very intelligent too. How else could she choose to be so gentle with you, even on her prey?
    Ive seen close up pictures of Emmys feet. Intimidating to say the least.
    Zarafia, I have flown many spicies of BOPs but mostly hawk eagles. All my trained birds exhibite similar behaviour around food to Emmy. It is the training and not because it is an eagle or a redtail. Out of all the birds I have trained I find hawk eagles to be the most agressive and crowned eagle is just absolute frightening.

Default Welcome

Welcome! Awesome bird.
    Cliff Mims, Florida

Thumbs up Beautiful Eagle

Iv been following your Eagle for a while.
    Very nice bird and i love those feet
    Vinnie Macchirella
    LAS VEGAS REALTOR

Zarafia, I have flown many spicies of BOPs but mostly hawk eagles. All my trained birds exhibite similar behaviour around food to Emmy. It is the training and not because it is an eagle or a redtail. Out of all the birds I have trained I find hawk eagles to be the most agressive and crowned eagle is just absolute frightening.
    Would you mind perhaps trying to describe some of the training you do with your birds.
    I've seen and been informed of some of your exploits via other tinterweb forums and I'd be really interested to hear some of the techniques you use in training your birds.
    Do you imprint your birds yourself? How do you handle food around the birds in the early stages.
    When/how old do you start training?
    Do you fly the bird on appetite through weight reduction or do you just progress the bird step by step through to hunting and recall and recover the bird through an imprinted bond.

How do you discourage aggression during training with a bird that you describe as "just absolutely frightening"?

Please dont feel I'm trying to have a dig, I aint about to pass judgement on its choices of prey when I see photo's of you handling the bird with large food items using what "appears" to be a white cotton glove.
    I'm seriously impressed to see that kind of tolerance from an imprint of being handled with large food items. I certainly wouldnt pick my imprint up with bare hands while he had food.

A few less serious questions, how far from you is the nearest hospital specializing in orthopedic laceration wounds (those are some serious weapons she's got there)
    And finally, are you seriously holding a crowned eagle in your hands with food using what appears to be a cotton glove? Youre one crazy dude!!
    ~Evan
    You are kiillllling-a my bizinisss! You take the foods outa my cheldrens mouf wif your hacking. I tell FBI.

Quote Originally Posted by areal View Post
    Would you mind perhaps trying to describe some of the training you do with your birds.
    I've seen and been informed of some of your exploits via other tinterweb forums and I'd be really interested to hear some of the techniques you use in training your birds.
    Do you imprint your birds yourself? How do you handle food around the birds in the early stages.
    When/how old do you start training?
    Do you fly the bird on appetite through weight reduction or do you just progress the bird step by step through to hunting and recall and recover the bird through an imprinted bond.

How do you discourage aggression during training with a bird that you describe as "just absolutely frightening"?

Please dont feel I'm trying to have a dig, I aint about to pass judgement on its choices of prey when I see photo's of you handling the bird with large food items using what "appears" to be a white cotton glove.
    I'm seriously impressed to see that kind of tolerance from an imprint of being handled with large food items. I certainly wouldnt pick my imprint up with bare hands while he had food.

A few less serious questions, how far from you is the nearest hospital specializing in orthopedic laceration wounds (those are some serious weapons she's got there)
    And finally, are you seriously holding a crowned eagle in your hands with food using what appears to be a cotton glove? Youre one crazy dude!!
    This is a lot of questions. I didnt imprint Emmy myself she was imported to me as a first year bird but I did ask the dealer and he said she was taken as a nestling therefore she is an imprint. She did not show any fear toward anything. First Stage I alway cut some weight and do some manning as any do. But one thing I noticed Emmy was very agressive around food. However once she got used to feeding on fist she began to calm down. Then I would stick my right hand close to her food everytime she feed until she get use to that too then I start touching her food and helping her out while feeding. It's about trust and getting used to everything. One important thing that I do is I only allow my bird to feed on fist and I dont chuck food to my bird. It encourages bird taking posession of the food therefore food mantling and agression.
    Holding her kill bare handed isnt as scary as picking them up from the ground bare handed.
    Here is what Emmy behave around food. I let her feed and then took the food away, hence there is not way I can take food from her foot without her agreeing to it.

She seems very easy going with you! very nice looking predator.
    Rick
    "Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting what a ride!"

Smile

Hi Peter- Welcome to you and Emmy to the forum!
    -Greg-
    Editor, OTW & Web Designer- Texas Hawking Association

Welcome to the forum. Hope to see more pix. BTW, I am from Laos - immigrated here in 1978 when I was 13.

Tou
    Tou Yang

Awesome bird and great pictures!

As someone else asked, do the monkeys fight back against the bird much or does she handle them pretty quickly with those huge feet?

Are the monkeys your main prey or are there other things she hunts?
    Dave Hampton
    http://www.falconryconservancy.org/
    "Wars begin where you will, but they do not end where you please." Niccolo Machiavelli

hey hawkeagle,
    my girlfriend wants to know if you can catch one of those lil monkeys for her...preferibly alive though

This is a lot of questions. I didnt imprint Emmy myself she was imported to me as a first year bird but I did ask the dealer and he said she was taken as a nestling therefore she is an imprint. She did not show any fear toward anything. First Stage I alway cut some weight and do some manning as any do. But one thing I noticed Emmy was very agressive around food. However once she got used to feeding on fist she began to calm down. Then I would stick my right hand close to her food everytime she feed until she get use to that too then I start touching her food and helping her out while feeding. It's about trust and getting used to everything. One important thing that I do is I only allow my bird to feed on fist and I dont chuck food to my bird. It encourages bird taking posession of the food therefore food mantling and agression.
    Holding her kill bare handed isnt as scary as picking them up from the ground bare handed.
    Here is what Emmy behave around food. I let her feed and then took the food away, hence there is not way I can take food from her foot without her agreeing to it.
    I find it interesting that you dont throw food to your bird. I personally have found the best way to keep my imprint's aggression directed away from me is to throw food away from myself.
    I very seldom call him to food held in the fist and if I do its small bits of food, I would never call him to anything bigger than a chick leg.
    I am very interested in how you control/channel/elimanate early stage agression.
    I dont mean to open a can of worms on your thread but I find the only way to keep aggression toward me under control is to not tolerate any kind of behavior that I consider to be an aggressive act.
    He's allowed to mantle, but he's not allowed to spring at me from food on the floor (if he does I pin him to the floor with my foot held above him (all he can do is attack a shoe if he's going to get nasty))
    He's not allowed to swipe at me with his beak, if he does I instantly push him off the fist with my right hand (its interesting to watch as his fitness develops, early on its really debilitating to him, but as he gets fitter he's back on that fist and it becomes just something unpleasant that he knows he can avoid by not swiping with his beak.)
    Once he starts getting the idea of what will be tolerated behavior wise I can start heading off beak aggression before he gets to that point simply by holding my hand in front of him.
    If he picks up a foot, I swiftly twist my gloved hand away from my body and lower it so he effectively looses his perch he's stood on. He doesnt like it and he quickly learns that if he does certain things I'm going to respond in a way that he doesnt enjoy.

My question is, with a crowned Eagle, you cant risk things like him suddenly picking up a foot just as you are about to push him off the fist for beaking. Smack, hand straight into a very well armed vice (I've done it twice now)
    So how do you discourage/avoid that early season agression (with Mwagi its painful and I bleed quite often, but he does learn not doing certain things that I dont like makes his life a lot easier and we start making progress towards hunting.
    One thing I did find that helps a lot with focusing his agression away from me is throwing food for him to chase after (I have to do this to get him chasing prey, otherwise he will sit on the fist, starving hungry and just not chase after things) and then progressing to using a drag lure which I rag around like crazy once he catches it.
    We cant legally use baggies here and I've never tried it with him, but I suspect giving him live prey to kill on his own early on would help a lot with getting him to focus his aggression away from me.
    Once we get to the hunting stage, he's a lot easier to handle, he still turns aggressive if I make a mistake (like not seeing something half a mile away that he thinks he can hunt) but its frustration at being held back and it subsides as soon as we start to move on to the next location.
    Anyway any advice/pointers you can give on how you cope with or channel the aggression in such a formidable predator would be very gratefully received. I dont for a second think my methods are the best/only way and I'm happy to adapt them to incorporate more experienced views or suggestions.
    ~Evan
    You are kiillllling-a my bizinisss! You take the foods outa my cheldrens mouf wif your hacking. I tell FBI.

Quote Originally Posted by areal View Post
    I find it interesting that you dont throw food to your bird. I personally have found the best way to keep my imprint's aggression directed away from me is to throw food away from myself.
    I very seldom call him to food held in the fist and if I do its small bits of food, I would never call him to anything bigger than a chick leg.
    I am very interested in how you control/channel/elimanate early stage agression.
    I dont mean to open a can of worms on your thread but I find the only way to keep aggression toward me under control is to not tolerate any kind of behavior that I consider to be an aggressive act.
    He's allowed to mantle, but he's not allowed to spring at me from food on the floor (if he does I pin him to the floor with my foot held above him (all he can do is attack a shoe if he's going to get nasty))
    He's not allowed to swipe at me with his beak, if he does I instantly push him off the fist with my right hand (its interesting to watch as his fitness develops, early on its really debilitating to him, but as he gets fitter he's back on that fist and it becomes just something unpleasant that he knows he can avoid by not swiping with his beak.)
    Once he starts getting the idea of what will be tolerated behavior wise I can start heading off beak aggression before he gets to that point simply by holding my hand in front of him.
    If he picks up a foot, I swiftly twist my gloved hand away from my body and lower it so he effectively looses his perch he's stood on. He doesnt like it and he quickly learns that if he does certain things I'm going to respond in a way that he doesnt enjoy.

My question is, with a crowned Eagle, you cant risk things like him suddenly picking up a foot just as you are about to push him off the fist for beaking. Smack, hand straight into a very well armed vice (I've done it twice now)
    So how do you discourage/avoid that early season agression (with Mwagi its painful and I bleed quite often, but he does learn not doing certain things that I dont like makes his life a lot easier and we start making progress towards hunting.
    One thing I did find that helps a lot with focusing his agression away from me is throwing food for him to chase after (I have to do this to get him chasing prey, otherwise he will sit on the fist, starving hungry and just not chase after things) and then progressing to using a drag lure which I rag around like crazy once he catches it.
    We cant legally use baggies here and I've never tried it with him, but I suspect giving him live prey to kill on his own early on would help a lot with getting him to focus his aggression away from me.
    Once we get to the hunting stage, he's a lot easier to handle, he still turns aggressive if I make a mistake (like not seeing something half a mile away that he thinks he can hunt) but its frustration at being held back and it subsides as soon as we start to move on to the next location.
    Anyway any advice/pointers you can give on how you cope with or channel the aggression in such a formidable predator would be very gratefully received. I dont for a second think my methods are the best/only way and I'm happy to adapt them to incorporate more experienced views or suggestions.
    Food throwing does encourage agression. The bird will take posession of the food therefore mantle over it. The agression is there but you are away from it so it is safe but fist feeding is different. My bird is only allowed to feed on my fist only and she feels that it is the only safe place to eat her food. My bird will not eat her kill on the ground but as soon as she is picked up she begins to feed cause she feels it is safe there. She will even jump short distance from the kill to fist.
    I dont punnish my bird of any technics. There is no need and trust will be ruined plus birds dont understand action and punnishment anyway. Let say if your bird foot you and you punnished it by knocking it of your fist the bird will probably stop footing you for awhile because it was spooked and not because it knows that if it foots you again it will be punnished.

Hello and I'm enjoying hearing about your training techniques. Welcome.

Food throwing does encourage agression. The bird will take posession of the food therefore mantle over it. The agression is there but you are away from it so it is safe but fist feeding is different. My bird is only allowed to feed on my fist only and she feels that it is the only safe place to eat her food. My bird will not eat her kill on the ground but as soon as she is picked up she begins to feed cause she feels it is safe there. She will even jump short distance from the kill to fist.
    I dont punnish my bird of any technics. There is no need and trust will be ruined plus birds dont understand action and punnishment anyway. Let say if your bird foot you and you punnished it by knocking it of your fist the bird will probably stop footing you for awhile because it was spooked and not because it knows that if it foots you again it will be punnished.
    sawadee kap dear freind can you give me information about de law in thailand for practice i am interested buy that but i found nothing i am french ans i leave here but not easy for found falconry in thailand please respond to me kwapkun kap

Thanks Zarafia and nice to meeting you here too.
    I fly a female crowned eagle. Her name is Emmy, she is in her third year. Crowned eagle is considered to be one of the most powerful eagle on earth along with the Harpy eagle. Emmy is not a very big eagle she is around 4 kgs fully fat. You will see alot more of her this season cause the last one ended early when she started her moult early.
    Hi, just wondering how you came by your Crowned eagle? I have flown three hawk eagles and a golden here in Western WA over the past 40 years. I flew a Changeable HE, an African HE and am currently flying a Bonelli's eagle. Hawk eagles are great to fly but very difficult to come by here in the US any more. I also fly a female Harris Hawk over a brace of Beagles. Your training techniques are interesting with your Crowned eagle... What species of monkey are you hunting. What other quarry do you fly her at? Please keep the pics and information coming...Very interesting stuff!
    Regards,
    Brian Kellogg
    Tacoma, WA

Default New here

Hi all, just found this site. There's some interesting stuff going on in here. My name is Brian Kellogg. I live in Tacoma, WA and am currently flying an 8 year old female Bonelli's eagle and a 10 year old female Harris Hawk. We hawk mostly rabbits but I've had some great flights at geese with the Bonelli's as well. She is done for the season so now I'm just concentrating on the Harris. I've also trapped and flown a passage male golden for 8 years but don't have him any more. I hope to retire this year and trrap another one when I get moved down to Central OR.
    Brian

Brian:
    it will be interesting to hear some of the great story's about the eagle. Is Cliff your brother? We like picture anytime. Again Welcome.
    EVERET K. HORTON, MICHIGAN
    Game is the name of the Game

Hi Brian,,,It's been a while... am glad you made it here , hope to hear more from about the "A" team.
    Barry
    "you believe you understand what I said, do realize what you heard is not what I meant"
    Barry

Quote Originally Posted by everetkhorton View Post
    Brian:
    it will be interesting to hear some of the great story's about the eagle. Is Cliff your brother? We like picture anytime. Again Welcome.
    Yep, Cliff's my baby brother. I remember you Ev...I used to be a NAFA Director too...
    Brian
    PS when I can figure this thing out better I will post some pics. I saw some that Greg Mickleson posted (of Tashas) of my Bonelli's in KS at the GOE in Nov.
    "B"

Thread Information