Thread: Who's Imprinting in'09?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Yea i know it....

Hoping to pull a wild female gos. I'm still trying to gather tips from experienced goshawkers for my strategy, but I suppose it will probably end up being more or less a recipe bird for my first one, with some variations. A coops is tempting but I need a duck and hare slayer for now.
    Tom Gagne- Don't panic.

Paul, If I don't get the gos draw, do you think we could convince NM to let us pull a peregrine? I know where to go from last season. I am sure they would not go for it.
    Jim
    New Mexican

If I do, it will probably be a Gyr x Barbary tiercel.

Same as I have done with the last four.

Take him to a clean tank with food in it. In the house, watching TV, with the dogs. Lure in the tank, glove in the tank, hood in the tank. Make a game of hooding with light in weight oversized hood. Food tied to the lure in the tank when he can start tearing it himself. Running around in the yard until he trys to fly. Telemetry on before hard penned. Lots of interaction. Taking to public places. Jesses on when tail shows through down. Tethered when jumps out of tank too often. Tame hacked from the truck.

A difference this time is I want a high flyer so there's more to the program but it's worked before.

2 of 4 are silent except in spring when courting, the younger 2 are more 'talkative', however, if I turn my back and walk away or am obviously doing something else they are silent. Other people can be around the birds and they are silent, it's just me that they talk to. Which is good for future breeders.
    Fred Seaman
    “Ask, Listen, Learn, Grow”

Tercil NA Gos Following Barry’s method or at least try I really want to tame hack but I am dead scared of some idiot shooting it or it getting drove over. I am still wondering if it would be a good idea to get pictures printed of the bird with my phone number and some info on them and distribute them through the neighborhood. What do you think? Isaac
    Isaac

Quote Originally Posted by BestBeagler View Post
    Tercil NA Gos Following Barry’s method or at least try I really want to tame hack but I am dead scared of some idiot shooting it or it getting drove over. I am still wondering if it would be a good idea to get pictures printed of the bird with my phone number and some info on them and distribute them through the neighborhood. What do you think? Isaac
    I think I would keep it to myself. John Q Public is an idiot an normally doesn't notice anything that doesn't slap him in the face. I've flown my red-tail at the local college numerous times and NOBODY notices her. And she has bells on. People in general are just not observant. I think if you hand out fliers, you are more likely to tempt that ONE idiot that would think it'd be cool to shoot and stuff a hawk...
    Dave Hampton
    http://www.falconryconservancy.org/
    "Wars begin where you will, but they do not end where you please." Niccolo Machiavelli

Quote Originally Posted by sevristh View Post
    II think if you hand out fliers, you are more likely to tempt that ONE idiot that would think it'd be cool to shoot and stuff a hawk...
    I was thinking the same thing.
    Tom Gagne- Don't panic.

Quote Originally Posted by tumble View Post
    but I suppose it will probably end up being more or less a recipe bird for my first one, with some variations.
    Do you know how many people before you have said this same thing and ended up with a basket case? I've seen it said numerous times and have yet to see one turn out as good as a straight "recipe bird". Keep it simple, esp for your first imprint accip. I followed McDermott's methods to the letter, minus the tame hack as it was not known at that time, and I have to say my coop turned out wonderfully.
    Krys Langevin
    There's nothing like a trail of blood to find your way back home.

I would like to imprint a sharpie this year.

my last imprint was a coopers and she was so tame that she would sit on my beating stick held on my shoulder right next to my face. She never ever showed aggression to me. She would catch at least 2 field birds a day. She ended up getting shot carrying a quail.
    First time she ever carried too and must of been a bit heavy. She lived in the house and was feather perfect!
    Rick
    "Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting what a ride!"

Quote Originally Posted by frootdog View Post
    Do you know how many people before you have said this same thing and ended up with a basket case? I've seen it said numerous times and have yet to see one turn out as good as a straight "recipe bird". Keep it simple, esp for your first imprint accip. I followed McDermott's methods to the letter, minus the tame hack as it was not known at that time, and I have to say my coop turned out wonderfully.
    Both cottontails and night hawking,for example, are illegal for me so for some of what he talks about in the first book I will have to make adaptations .
    Tom Gagne- Don't panic.

Both cottontails and night hawking,for example, are illegal for me so for some of what he talks about in the first book I will have to make adaptations .
    Is night hawking illegal or spotlighting? I see what you are saying though. Night hawking however is not part of the training process it's just an alternative means to get in some hunting time.
    Krys Langevin

Is night hawking illegal or spotlighting? I see what you are saying though. Night hawking however is not part of the training process it's just an alternative means to get in some hunting time.
    Hunting ends a half hour after sunset with no special falconry provisions. Car hawking is also illegal, at least on public roads. I guess what I was mostly referring to was some of the great confidence building methods outlined in the book. And we don't have access to those nice little industrial park bunnies, which may not technically be part of training but sure would go a long way toward initial confidence, I imagine. But I'll adapt like everyone else willing to do what it takes.
    Tom Gagne- Don't panic.

Hunting ends a half hour after sunset with no special falconry provisions. Car hawking is also illegal, at least on public roads. I guess what I was mostly referring to was some of the great confidence building methods outlined in the book. And we don't have access to those nice little industrial park bunnies, which may not technically be part of training but sure would go a long way toward initial confidence, I imagine. But I'll adapt like everyone else willing to do what it takes.
    Hunting from a moving vehicle here is illegal too unless you are on private land, ie parking lots. Don't know if that applies to you or not. What I would recomend is baggies, baggies, baggies. Go out for a hunt. If you find nothing or catch nothing toss a baggie for the bird and end the day on a kill. McD says hit the field and if you don't score get an easy carhawking kill. Same idea.
    Krys Langevin

And if you do another Krys, it may not come out so wonderfully! Each bird is different and the process is a good one, but it isn't a sure fire thing. I know others that have done it a completely different way and theirs came out wonderful and others that followed McD's to the T and ended up with face grabbers. The key to any method is adapting and seeing things before they become a permanent problem. And the biggest thing is summed up in his Behavioral book, 90 percent of all problems is weight related.
    Fred
    "Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by FredFogg View Post
    And if you do another Krys, it may not come out so wonderfully! Each bird is different and the process is a good one, but it isn't a sure fire thing. I know others that have done it a completely different way and theirs came out wonderful and others that followed McD's to the T and ended up with face grabbers. The key to any method is adapting and seeing things before they become a permanent problem. And the biggest thing is summed up in his Behavioral book, 90 percent of all problems is weight related.
    Yes Fred I realise this, but what I'm saying is that the novice (myself included) should not go making adjustments to a tried and true method without first having tried it as is. I'm willing to bet that the vast majority of "recipe" (I hate that term for some reason) birds turn out to be good hawks (not basket cases). I'm not suggesting there is no other way to do it, just that if you pick one method stick with it and not try to tweak it when doing it for the first time.
    Krys Langevin

I will be imprinting a full male Saker this year

I don't know what I'm doing but I have a little time to figure it out, the egg should be laid the first few days of March

Well it looks like I won't be imprinting a gos this season. Only 4 people put in for the eyas draw and only 3 birds are allowed to be taken. I know one person who was notified by email a couple of days ago, but, I didn't get an email from NMG&F. Life in the big city.
    Jim
    New Mexican

Thread Information